Possible to limit the # of a certain building buildable?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by swizzlewizzle, November 4, 2014.

1. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

As the title.. i'm wondering if it is possible to somehow restrict the # of buildings (for example power generators) that a single player is allowed to build. If so... is it also possible to do any sort of on the fly modification of this value?

The end desired result would be... player can only build X number of power generators until he builds Y building. After he builds Y building, he can then build a max of 50 power generators.

Anything like this possible without more server-side scripting ability?
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Host mod could shadow some files to put a client-side restriction on it. Tracking buildings and managing state would be a royal pain. (What if the player refreshes the UI? Crashes? Disconnects for a while and misses build events?)

I've toyed with making energy require metal spots. For other options, there is a small amount of generality in 'spots'; metal spots have an (apparently) unused feature type 'Reclaimable', it looks like 'Burnable' may have been superseded by the burnable property, and I've not gotten around to testing what happens if you vary the number of control points or put them on non-metal planets. There is a list of feature types in the game, so it's probably not possible to create custom ones. There is both MetalSpot/Metal_Spot and ControlPoint/Control_Point, but I'm assuming those are merged down in code. Lots of room for experimentation.
  3. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

Yea, I don't want it to be location-limited.. just # limited so that players can still have freedom to move and place the buildings without being forced to build them on specific spots. What do you mean by "shadow some files to put a client-side restriction"?