Possible Mass Disappointment about Galactic War

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by TheLambaster, September 11, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. I share your view, there better be some clarification.

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. I sense no imminent danger, everything will be fine.

66 vote(s)
    86.8%
  3. Your observation is correct, but still – sit sight.

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Hey,
    I have the feeling the vast majority thinks Galactic War was going to be in realtime, like a massive mega-map with dozens of players. But this wont’ be the case, judging from this post by neutrino: viewtopic.php?p=541159#p541159

I think a lot of new backers were attracted and many old backers inveigled to up their pledges by the Galactic War stretch goal… but I assume the bigger portion of those were misled by a misconception on their part, as it appears. In the end this might lead to a major mass disappointment that is better warded off early. However, this in turn might lead to a significant decrease in the pledge rate… I am a little concerned.

What do you think?
  2. nedstar

nedstar New Member

They did say before Galactic war was announced that we'd be getting 5+ hour fights. I believe the exact number was even more crazy then that.

So what a lot of people want is a big *** fight that lasts for hours on end. I'm pretty sure this is already possible without galactic war. From what I gathered you'll just have to make one big map (probably just a number in the map generator) with loads of planets to achieve this.

It sounds like Galactic war is something that is supposed to last days, maybe even weeks and beyond. This really sounds like a lot of fun with a couple of friends or even against other clans/friend groups.
    Last edited: September 11, 2012
  3. asgo

asgo Member

I don't presume to know, what the rest of the readers expected, but for me the phrase
    "Galactic War metagame"
    pretty much implied that it would be a game interaction on another level, without going into much detail. The thread, you linked to, filled in a few infos and hinted a bit the style, which will be used.
  4. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

Neutrino's comment indicates it to be... exactly what I thought it would be. I agree with asgo that the word "Metagame" pretty clearly implies that, well, it's not part of the normal game. But as far as I'm aware, each "single encounter" could still be the very large scale.
  5. syx0

syx0 New Member

Wow.

Would you add a 4th option to your poll? Make sure that, just like the other three, it makes it quite clear that you must be right.

Maybe I just have a much clearer sense of where this game wants to go than the average person, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Uber is not going to be simulating an entire galaxy simultaneously on anyone's computer.
  6. Kogies

Kogies New Member

Two things; 1) There will be mass battles (40+ users was mentioned in an interview), so people do not have to worry. Fighting over a galaxy would not be RTS territory really anyway. 2) Shhhhh! Just wait three more days, then you can tell everyone.
  7. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

The video and update don't strongly imply one way or the other in my view.

However, given it's called a 'campaign' which have traditionally been a series of separate 'levels' with various degrees of interconnectedness, I assumed it was just that.

If you want some meaningful results you need to re-work that poll. ;)
  8. TheLambaster

?? Is this sarcasm? If yes... why? Maybe you misunderstood the poll? Those are the three most probable answers - "I have the same opinion as the OP" "I don't have the same opinion as the OP" "I partially share the OP’s opinion". If it is not sarcasm please make it clearer what you want from me.
  9. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Your poll options are terrible. Surely you do see that?
  10. TheLambaster

11. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Firstly you need to clarify what it is you are even asking.

'What do you think?' followed by a rambling post is highly ambiguous.
  12. nobrains

nobrains Member

Where is the option for those who knew galactic war is metagame? This looks more like a "grow my epeen" poll.
  13. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Your poll is bad because there is two questions in it:

1) The galaxy war should be realtime and
    2) I fear that it will not be what I thought.

Your poll only ask the on the second one, implying that everybody have thought that the galaxy war would be realtime.
    You never played the Total War series? Or the Heroes of might and magic one ?
    It is the most resonable way to understand the galactic war.

But perhaps with the client / server model, people will be able to leave and enter a game during the fight.
  14. TheLambaster

Hm, no actually the second option was intended to say "I knew what it was going to be"... None of the option says "I thought Galactic War would be ...". The poll is about what people think what the majority of the people think...

So, why don't you phrase some options that you consider better and I edit them in... if you care sufficiently to do so.
    Last edited: September 12, 2012
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

People who knew of Boneyards in TA or the short Galactic War in SupCom will not be surprised at all.
    People who dont even know what "metagame" means ... well they are unlucky.
  16. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

Was just about to mention Boneyards. I think it'll be a big inspiration. Obviously galactic war should be a bit bigger.

That's a good thing for the uninitiated; Boneyards was amazing.

Zero K also has a version called Planetwars. I think Galactic War has the potential to be better though.
  17. nobrains

nobrains Member

But to answer your original question. I think you are the minority here.
  18. thapear

thapear Member

I believe it was clear from the start that the Galaxy War was not going to be real-time with thousands of planets.
  19. thedbp

thedbp Member

Well, to be fair, it actually seams like that in the video/visualisation they made, I don't think it will be disappointing, but I understand OP's confusion.

[​IMG]

zoom out

[​IMG]

showing galaxies getting selected.
    [​IMG]

selecting bigger part of galaxy showing range of your empire etc.
    [​IMG]

and zooming out again to see entire galaxy
    [​IMG]

I'm imagining it as the spore space stage just rts'ed instead a single ship.

But I wont get disappointed if it's not, and if it's something else, as I'm pretty sure they will find a good way to handle it.
  20. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

Judging by how much time we have left I don't think we're going to get Galactic Wars.