polltetion: keeping the mystery box

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by syox, March 1, 2013.

?

Please keep the mystery box as a mysterious box.

1. Yes i sign that.

63 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No.

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. syox

syox Member

Sorry Uber.
    I just fell in love with the mystery box. And i would like to have it as that in the game.
    A box i dont know what it is or what it does. Has it a purpose after all?
    Maybe it is just there to be?
  2. kmike13

kmike13 Member

It's a blocker
  3. syox

syox Member

Read the post please. I know what it shall be. But i do a petition to keep it as something else.
    Last edited: March 1, 2013
  4. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Don't worry I still voted yes. :p
  5. syox

syox Member

Thanks ;D
  6. bill280

bill280 Member

Hmm i just had an idea about the mystery box, what if there is a chance to randomly spawn a mystery box at a random location when a match starts. The box could contain something like a cosmetic item for there commander or something along that line. I wouldn't expect something like that at launch but maybe sometime after launch the devs could do something like that.
  7. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

sure, as long as it was turned off by default i'd love a mystery box mode. it would probably unleash an awesome head unit that went around devouring things.
  8. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Mystery boxes are good! We had those in Dune 2000, and they were always fun to collect :3

It either made units explode, revealed the map, hidden it again (Fog of war), and/or even gave you rare units :)
  9. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

The Mystery Box is the new Companion Cube.
    Spoiler: You are forced to Uber-Cannon it in order to win the battle.
  10. lordbritish

lordbritish New Member

I'm all up for something like a mystery box appearing on the map to be collected by players. What will it grant though? Gameplay affecting stuff like in other RTS' could be an option but there's all sorts of fun jazz that could happen, like changing the units weapons to party cannons and confetti or altering the colours to neon/luminous fun.
    Now call me the party-pooper but if there is a mystery box, does it have to be that model? =\
  11. djunreal

djunreal New Member

Does anyone remember even back in the original C&C series this was used?

In Red Alert for example, the crate contained one of:

Explosion (damaged the unit collecting it)
    Speed bonus
    Armour bonus
    Attack Power bonus
    Extra units (random)
    Shroud removal across map (basically instant GPS)
    Money
    Possibly something else I've forgotten!

In addition, if your base had been all but annihilated and you had just a couple of units left, the most likely pickup from the crate was a new MCV, to give you a fighting chance to recover yourself and get back in the game.

Whether something like this is feasible on an inter-planetary scale or not is another matter, though...
  12. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

All those things are just so mundane, I'd rather something like the smash ball from smash brother brawl. Not to the same extent where you wipe out 90% of the field but something big and flashy and just plain weird.

It's a mystery box so it should contain a mystery.
  13. djunreal

djunreal New Member

My point wasn't necessarily that these items should be in a "mystery box", more that they were back in the old days (and seemed to work nicely for a long time). If we want a real mystery we could always take the same concept and make it far more random/insane... But maybe stick some beneficial stuff in there too. Otherwise, if we all know that the mystery box will be detrimental to our units, we'll stay the heck away from them and then the mystery becomes pointless!
  14. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Oh no, what have I started?

It's obviously a critical component of the metal world's death beam.
  15. djunreal

djunreal New Member

And whoever controls the death beam control component can call a death beam strike anywhere on that planet/star system?
  16. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Mystery Box?

Should it not be named... UBERCUBE?
  17. djunreal

djunreal New Member

Only if it's going to do something truly uber... Otherwise it needs to be a mediocre-cube...
  18. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

voted yes for the humor of it
  19. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Sounds awesome! :mrgreen:
  20. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

yes, having "mystery boxes" spawning randomly in random places would be neat =D

it is hard to balance this between the fun of it (for exemple, taking it makes your units shoot silly projectiles), the impact on the game (otherwise no one would waste time to get it) and the randomness of it (only one per game, or regularly spawning/despawning boxes like in red alert ?)

but it definitely should have a "silly projectiles" effect (at least for a limited time), like bombers throwing ponies, artilleries shooting rainbows, or indeed cannons shooting confetti, that would be hilarious ^_^

actually, i would like it if the bonus inside is made proportional to the power of the unit picking it up, for exemple if you take it with a monkeylord-sized unit, it should give a huge boost to the unit to reward people for not just sending a rogue peewee.