Poll: Your favourite way to balance the Annihilaser!

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by radongog, December 22, 2014.

?

What idea do you like most?

Poll closed January 5, 2015.
  1. None, they are balanced!

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Higher Costs for Catalysts...

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. UltraHighEnergyUsage and Laser will not fire if your out of energy!

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Cooldown, give it a massive cooldown!

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  5. Planet should explode if a catalyst gets destroyed while Laser is fireing!

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. Should only be able to take out one CelBody in one game!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Catalysts should be destructed after fireing

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Slower Turn rate...

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  9. ...or even WAAAYS slower turn rate.

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  10. Annihilaser was a bad idea, bann it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

There a tons of suggestions how to balance the metal planet´s annihilaser and I tried to present them as best as I could so my own opinion doesn´t influence the presentation at all!

Important: You can select multiple answers at the same time, so if you´d like to combind the diffent ideas it´s easyly possible!
  2. Debosse

Debosse Member

Honestly The annihilaser is a Game Ender and it really should be that. Perhaps the cost of the catalysts could be bumped up a bit but other than that if someone finishes one you deserve to loose. There is a big public announcement that they are being constructed and 2 ssx will kill it instantly. Not to mention nukes, smashes (which will completely nullify the weapon) , and the unit cannon. If you cant stop one from firing the game is lost anyways.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

In my eyes, that makes it a gimmick, not a feature. I'll never use it in a team game.
  4. Matster

Matster Active Member

The biggest problem is that Catalysts can still be built if you ram a moon in to the Annihilasser planet at the catalysts building site. Happened to me several times when we were winning and rammed the moon in and then the enemy could still build Catalysts in the crater. At this point as much as I can see the laser is indestructible and needs balancing.
    Last edited: December 22, 2014
  5. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

They guy that is responsible for creating the system has to think what he wants. Is the annihilasor the insta win or is there something else?

Imo peoples complaints are not valid since the laser isn't OP unless the person who made the system made it overpowered. In that case, go complain at the person who made the map for bad mapmaking, the annihilasor is fine.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Custom option: These options all suck, as many as they all are, two of them are basically the same, and the whole poll question sucks.

[X]Voted
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

3 options have the same result and two other options are the exact same freaking thing.

This poll is bad and you should feel bad.
  8. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Then please do tell us what options you´ll wanna see next time! This poll is open for two weeks and will be replaced after that time with a next one, so your feedback is important! (this procedure is also the reason why I don´t have to feel bad at all!)
    But remember, maximum amouth of answers allowed on here is ten!

BTW: I can only see two options (SlowTurnRate and the harder version of it) that are compareable. If there are similarities between the rest of them I don´t see any problem with it; that´s why you´re allowed to pick Multi-Answers so you can tell how hard you want the laser to be rebalanced!
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Okay. To be specific. Forum polls are usually bad anyway. Just the medium itself. Think about it. Who is answering it, how many people are answering it? Grey answers could be wrong entirely, only complete shutouts are useful and those are obvious before.

Anyway, I am okay with them the way they are. People complain there is a problem, but if someone got a catalyst then they completely obliterated you anyway since they could have afforded oh so many nukes, or it was some 12 planet game where the laser shouldn't have been in if it wasn't intended because all the planet surfaces are overprotected in a 12 planet game due to orbital warfare.
  10. genouious

genouious Member

Aren't catalysts simply this rts' version of a monument victory, just with a very pretty graphic to accompany it.
    MrTBSC and cptconundrum like this.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The unit cannon probably makes catalysts even less useful than they were before. It's hard to imagine ever getting 5 of them when each one costs the same as a unit cannon loaded up with 9 slammers. The only way you will ever be able to build all 5 is if you have won the game anyway.

*Edit*
    I was looking at the wrong number. It seems that a single catalyst costs as much as two unit cannons and 18 slammers, or one unit cannon and 42 slammers (3.5 launches). Launch a bunch of units to take it out or send a small force to kill the anti-nukes and then nuke it. There is really no way anyone could ever complete the annihilaser.
  12. mot9001

Im not sure about that. It seems better then nukes except that the catalyst are visible at all times.
  13. mot9001

I dont agree, im sure its defendable by taking out the unitcannon itself, or by placing armys and defences near the annihilasors before you start.
  14. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

As for stuart98, how constructive and helpful of you!

For trophysystem, I understand it's hard to come up with good polls, and you're right that it's hard to reach everyone to get good statistical data. But that makes the problem the people, not the medium itself.

Unless you can think of more effective ways to deliver simple information to many people and have them both see and interact with said information. I know I can't.

My main concern is after you fire once, you can fire again straight away. I want there to be some kind of controllable/predictable delay between firing.

In short, I like the annihilaser, but I disagree it's balanced. If we consider everything up to it's first firing I think it's okay. Easy to nuke the catalysts, easy to permanently remove them from the game (when the game is patched to accept moon crashes).

You could make it so the annihilaser works on both ends of the planet to deal with moon and asteroid crashes?
    Last edited: December 24, 2014
  15. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Get my name right, dangit.
  16. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Your right, mybad. I shoulda checked properly.
    Fixed.
    Last edited: December 24, 2014