Poll. Will you admire the game without experimental units?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bodzio97, July 6, 2013.

?

Will you enjoy playing game without Supcom style experimentals?

1. I will enjoy the game

148 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. I will not enjoy the game

27 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. bodzio97

bodzio97 Member

Lots of people can not accept the presence of experimentals. Thought it's the minority. This thread considers everyone else. The question is can you be happy playing a game without experimental units like those in Supcom FA?
  2. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Re: Poll. Will you admire the game without experimental unit

May be stupid question, but what is the goal of this poll ?

It's obvious that a great, great majority will enjoy the game without experimentals : you are on the game's forum, and a good chunck of the active people here have either backed the game (which show some great comitment) or buyed the game at more than twice the futur retail price...
    And experimentals haven't even been mentionned neither on Kickstarter or Steam.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Experimentals are not the sort of thing that makes a game, but it can most certainly break it.
  4. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Experimentals weren't considered at all in the original trailer, watch it again if you don't believe me.

I'll also remind you that SupCom's trailer had Experimentals absolutely PLASTERED all over it, which was a major selling point.

It was only after the community started griping that Uber added the Megabot Experimental mockup, which spawned a 60 page argument over whether or not PA will have Experimentals.

In the end, I think Uber mentioned that while Experimental Units are a possibility, they will not be considered for the initial release, and will most likely come out as free DLC after the game is released. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
  5. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Neutrino said he was saving them for an expansion or something anyway so even if it's not in the original it will be in the game eventually. I'm not seriously worried they will be missing since they probably wont be.
  6. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

I will admire the game regardless of experimental units or not. Experimentals, IF DONE RIGHT, mind you, could add to the game's enjoyability. But they are also easy to be abusive to the gameplay and could break the game's balance, as we saw in Supreme Commander (no offense, but the focus became more on these guys, with most people simply ignoring normal units afterwards)

Personally, I really support what Uber is doing with the possible expansion afterwards, because PA really doesn't need them, and their time is better spent implementing things the game does need.

Like attaching engines to meteors and smashing them into the opponent's turtle.
  7. purecaldari

purecaldari Member

I will enjoy it without them for sure.
    If I feel the need for some super big units and PA hasn't got them then there will be tons of mods for that, I'm sure. But I don't feel that super huge units are needed.

Also PA has them ... I mean a unit cannon and thrusters to stick on an asteroid are not experimentals?
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I still don't believe that 28% (9/32 at the time of posting) of voters actually said they won't enjoy the game if it doesn't have experimentals.

I understand that a lot of people want experimentals, but I don't understand why it's a make-or-break detail for some.
  9. reggina

reggina New Member

what? a minority?

have you decided that because you like experimentals, therefore those who don't must be a minority

i'd rather have the game like it is now, big armies rather than large focus on single strong units

minority... pah

also wtf, the game is already enjoyable, without stupid experimentals, this post has no basis, not to mention, it shouldnt be as black and white as "oh ****, no experimentals, -10 enjoy", or "oh ****, experimentals, +10 enjoy"

this thread is stupid and your poll agrees, i'm out
  10. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

... that poll is kinda bad...

I like experimentals, but off course il enjoy the game even without them.

They are a nice cool feature (I like big bots crushing small bots, who dosent?), but they arent needed for enjoying the game.

They are like cheese on a hamburger, il enjoy the burger without cheese, but its better with cheese (off course they need to be balanced good or they will turn into rotten cheese).

In the end il have loads of fun with my orbital battle fortresses even without experimentals (a fortified astroid with some unit cannons sent into orbit around a enemy world), but i would be kinda happy if they added them too (prefearably in some way so that they dont become spammed late game as in supcom, they are supposed to be rare things supporting your army, not spammed into a army of just experimentals).

And the title "will you admire the game without experimental units?" has nothing to do with the poll (Admiration is not a synonym for enjoyment, its two completely different things).
  11. bodzio97

bodzio97 Member

The poll is not different since some people can not enjoy the game with experimentals. So the question is can the rest of players enjoy the game without them. So that everyone is satisfied.
  12. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

13. Artamentix

Artamentix Member

Bit of a leading question. If someone had a poll of "do you think adding experimentals to the game would make the game more entertaining?" might have it skewed in the opposite direction. The game's scope as it is makes it hard to dislike it as is.
  14. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Only FA got the power to have experimental units and put them in the field.
    Here i think this engine donĀ“t alowed to have sutch emblematic units, to this kind game that is PA its almost impossible have experimental units we only be able to play with 5/8 diferent units on , air/groun/naval...
    I already say PA is a complety diferent game then FA.
    Has mutch has most off us like to see a expansion off TA/FA just ust to this game its made to be other kind game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wMtELwNV3E

Im just press them to have,all units we will have will be a snap in myface:)
  15. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

They'd be amusing, but I do not care at all if they're not implemented. In the slightest.
  16. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I think this poll is demonstrating that although big, experimental units could be fun, the game can be enjoyable, interesting and engaging without them.
  17. molloy

molloy Member

I'd rather the game be about managing huge armies of units at the end of a match than be about spending 5minutes to build individual superunits that duel off until someone makes a micro error. Experimentals sound exciting but in practice they can be pretty dull and conflict with the idea of this being a large scale macro RTS. The developers of FAF probably agree as the recent balance testing mod puts the emphasis back on t2 and t3 units rather than experimentals.
  18. btustorm

btustorm New Member

This statement is dead false; as someone who was constantly in the Top 100 of Supp Comm (the original) I was frequently in matches where the armies got so big and defenses were too strong, you really needed a "super unit" to ASSIST other units. Note that I said "ASSIST" and not solely fight an entire war. If you tried to send a single experimental into battle against a good player you would find it getting carpet bombed by T2 or T3 air units with ease...

I didn't like how common they were in Forged Alliance, and Supp Comm 2 was just a joke that made me go back to StarCrap for awhile - that bad in my opinion.

With PA, the games are going to be so big and it will get so cumbersome, that you will probably be needing a commanding unit - aka experimental - to lead an army. I don't see what is wrong with that so long as the super unit is vulnerable enough on its own.

I'd rather see nukes are removed from the game rather the concept of super units. It's much more interesting to have to manage a large unit rather point and clicking a super bomb. I guarantee you this game will evolve into a "who can get nukes faster and support anti-nukes" with how large the scale is going to be.
  19. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

That's an awful lot of assumptions about how nukes are going to be implemented...
  20. mrj90k

mrj90k Member

If this poll was supposed to be weighted in favor of experimentals you went the wrong way with the question. It should have been "would you admire that game more with experimentals" if that was the case.

Oh and I would only want Exsperimentals added after retail as that way the Exsperimentals are balance around the game and not the game around the exsperimentals.