Poll on control scheme

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Feedback and Issues' started by neutrino, August 13, 2010.

?

Which controller scheme do you use?

1. Standard

230 vote(s)
    69.5%
  2. Tactical

43 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Would use SouthPaw

8 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Would like another alternate

50 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So how about it? What controller layout do most people prefer?
  2. xxxScorpion

xxxScorpion New Member

I use Tactical but voted on a new alternate as I've stated before there's a small flaw or rather inconvenience for Assassins playing on the Tactical layout. Ever more so if a custom layout could be implemented that would be great as well.

Tactical (in my case) is almost perfect though.
  3. Briq

Briq New Member

Tactical all the way. Most of the people who play standard probably only do it because they just turned the game on and started playing without looking at the options first. Tactical is hands down the better choice in my opinion.
  4. RetroMenace

RetroMenace New Member

More games need customizable controls, like 99% of PC games. I hate switching between different games and end up doing horribly because I'm adjusting to different control schemes. If they patch the game I hope they let you make your own control scheme. That is honestley an easy way to make a game alot better.
  5. xxxScorpion

xxxScorpion New Member

Yeah I agree completely.
  6. Ahlen

Ahlen New Member

Standard because I play a lot of gears of war and reload on anything but right bump would feel ridiculous.

Would use southpaw though because I'm a lefty. Standard with southpaw sticks (Right move, left look) would be what I'd use.
  7. Gomahetsuha

Gomahetsuha New Member

Standard, it just felt right and pretty quick to learn to play with this control scheme for me.
  8. SuperEvilDOOM

SuperEvilDOOM New Member

Standard. The main thing I would have liked if you could change the controls is maybe a bumper jumper-like setting so I can look easily while hovering through the air trying to shoot someone.

Edit: Totally switched to tactical and love it much more.
    Last edited: September 1, 2010
  9. Nayr

Nayr New Member

I want to be able to put anything on any button.
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Neutrino and I are the two in the office that use Tactical, and I quite frequently play the assassin class. Your issue with her having the blue skill mapped twice is indeed something that could be improved and is actually a throw back to when sprint wasn't it's own skill.
    Personally though, I've gotten used to pressing X since it's so close to the right stick and you can't really turn mid lunge anyways.

Standard is the easiest control scheme to use for most new players to understand simply because the skills map directly to the buttons. I believe Tactical to be the superior control scheme though because most your skills can be used with out removing your thumbs from the joysticks, and you only reloading / changing weapons when you don't need to aim anyways.
    Really though, I guess it just comes down to what other game(s) you play the most and are most used too.

Those who voted for an alternate control scheme, I'd love know what that alternate scheme is.
  11. PantsTurkey

PantsTurkey New Member

I haven't looked at Tactical yet, but I would like something like Bumper Jumper from Halo 3. Since I have trouble holding 'A' to jetpack and turn at the same time. But I understand making a scheme work like that in a third-person game would be difficult
  12. xxxScorpion

xxxScorpion New Member

True that it's not a long distance at all but with how hectic things can get it would indeed be a nice little improvement in which one's thumbs would barely need to leave the sticks except to change weapons/melee. Of course my change would be a Tactical layout with "X" remapped to "LB".
  13. Infininja

Infininja New Member

Tactical seems like a good choice, but any other shooter that uses X and Y for reload and switch weapons has X as reload and Y as switch weapon. It would be too confusing to learn it backwards specifically for this game and then have to unlearn it to play other games.

Also, I'd like to be able to map jump somewhere else, but I can't really think of a place. Putting it on right click makes some sense, but it would be hard to aim while held down. The reason is, I was in several gunner on gunner battles against someone who either had a custom controller or was clawing, because he was jumping and hovering like a madman yet always spraying me down. He was a harder target to hit and I lost every battle.

As some have stated, fully customizable controls are the best option.
  14. MadMike Love

MadMike Love New Member

i disagree. I am quite good (not to brag) and i use standard control schemes on every console game i play on. Halo, call of duty, this game. Unless you count inverted. <---- one of the few people to play inverted
  15. Tank Jr

Tank Jr New Member

I'm not sure if this is possible but could you implement something like Team Fortress 2. Being able to make your own layout exactly how you like it is sooooo epic. I mean I can put the taunt button on the right trigger if I want to in that game. To me games are all about the freedom to do/ customize as much as possible and if you're against freedom well then you're against America and that just wont do.

Also I think being able to host our own games would be cool like, public hosting like back in the days before matchmaking which is so just meh for me. Maybe even with attribute modifiers like instant action in UT3 like omg big head, slow mo kill, low grav :)

Lastly I would suggest class limits like TF2 but not like TF2 because TF2 made it so host can set the limit for each class which lead to major epic abuse of class limits but if you could like allow host to set limits at least to 2 of each class max that would be sooo win. I know that sort of counteracts the whole freedom thing but there does come a point when an entire team of assassins or support seems like a bit to much!
  16. Tank Jr

Tank Jr New Member

Notice how he said "hands down the better choice In my opinion". No need to start flamin over opinions just leave it at he likes tactical you like standard.

I know I like standard on halo and my friends like bumper jumper I personally suck with it. It's all a mater of preference which shouldn't be debated over the internet.
  17. hatemakerr

hatemakerr New Member

Two people I talked into buying the game first complained about not being about to switch hands on the player. Thought it was odd, other than that the game is a hit.

Would be cool to add lefty.
  18. Devilturnip

Devilturnip New Member

I use tactical. Standard felt awkward to me from the very beginning, and I was ready to be disappointed by the game until I found it had a control scheme that made sense.

I also wish I could have voted for wanting a left handed control scheme. I have several friends who are lefties. At least one of them wants to buy the game, but won't because of the lack of a southpaw config option. I don't understand why it isn't already there. Wouldn't it be the easiest thing in the world to implement?
  19. LuNatic

LuNatic New Member

I like the standard, but give us an option to disable auto-aim: it makes long range snap shots impossible.
  20. PantsTurkey

PantsTurkey New Member

I think, for me anyway (who uses Bumper Jumper in Halo 3,) having jump set to LB and weapon swap to 'A' would be great. This will allow jet packers to have an easier time looking while flying.