POLL: A Kickstarter success story?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drz1, August 1, 2014.

?

Is PA (or will it be) a Kickstarter success, or failure?

1. Success

106 vote(s)
    89.8%
  2. Failure

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Hi everyone, having just read this article : http://kotaku.com/the-sad-side-of-kickstarter-1613985577
    I was curious to see whether people felt that PA was a symbol of Kickstarter working its crowd funding magic, or a how-to of how to rip people off? I.e success or failure? Feel free to elaborate on the level of success or failure in the comments, but please let's not derail into ugliness :)
    P.s. I think it will be a success when finished, broadly speaking :)
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Uber had a vision of a game and used Kickstarter to make that game. I think we can all agree that the game is very close to said vision.
    corteks, EdWood, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I agree, I just wondered how many people felt disenchanted with the whole idea, for example if certain elements don't make it into the game, or they felt let down by Uber in some way. I think Uber have made tough decisions and handled it reasonably well, and I also think the game is going to be truly brilliant when it reaches it's peak.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

How successful it is I guess is really determined by it's sales and longevity, which we can't know yet, but for now, I'd call it a success.
    corteks, drz1 and cdrkf like this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm astonished 2 people have said failure?! I guess some people are never satisfied...

From my perspective, I couldn't have asked much more of uber. The game looks great and is fun to play :)
    drz1 and squishypon3 like this.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Anyone who voted failure clearly never looked at a single other project on all of Kickstarter.
    Bsport, cdrkf, drz1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Although success is ambiguous Uber has made a game that initially started through Kickstarter.

So, did Kickstarter help fund the making of an RTS known as Planetary Annihilation?

Yes. Therefore, it is a success.
    cdrkf and drz1 like this.
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

who voted fail? o_O
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. overwatch141

overwatch141 Active Member

For Uber it's definitely a success, but for the game it's too early to tell.
  10. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

A success in art criticism is a great artwork. How many people end up playing it or how much money Uber ends up making are utterly irrelevant. The game is great already, ergo it is a success.
    cdrkf, drz1, phantomtom and 1 other person like this.
  11. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Well, if you´d asked me that a few weeks after "public beta-test" started (read: all backers got beta-access than) I´d definitivly picked failure; as performance was an ugly piece of crap.
    Since the last, big performance upgrade I´m totally in for success!

BTW: The soundtrack is such fantastic work...
    ...and backing was so incredibly cheap (2 Keys+Soundtrack for 40$---unbelievable!) that I´d proberbly even would have been listening to it if the game would have been become a failure :D
    drz1 likes this.
  12. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Despite the "List of obvious things missing"

This game is just too awesome. I can't vote it down. :D
  13. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Yeah it`s great. Thank you uber for giveing me this game. especially the team, thank you.
  14. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Wow. 70-2 from this voting point.

Glad moral is still up from all the negativity that came the past couple weeks.

I believe the game is a success though. Glad we have an awesome team like Uber to lead the way for kickstarter glory
  15. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I might have complained about the retail ea thing here and potentially delayed offline there, but Uber delivered.

PA was the first Kickstarter i supported, and it has been completely worth it. I turned down my expectations after the hype, since that's always a reasonable thing to do, but the not-fully-final product is already looking brillant.

While we're still missing a number of important features and there is certainly still work to do, the game is moving into a good direction.
    It's been pretty impressive what kind of game resulted from that 'little' 2.2mio kickstarter: The game has depth, personality, and looks fantastic.
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Not voting. FOR THE ENTH TIME : WE DON'T KNOW YET
    vyolin and yagamesh like this.
  17. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

SupCom > PA therefore its a failure!
    yagamesh likes this.
  18. yagamesh

yagamesh New Member

Until I can get a physical disk and matching toys I'm sceptical
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well on that logic ta & ta:spring > sup com so sup com is a failure. That wasn't question though, is it a successful kickstarter? Well they've delivered the game they set out to, so it's inherently successful in that context.
    optimi likes this.
  20. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

They didn't delivered any game yet by their standard, even they sell something.

And they are selling a game that does not fulfill their initial intentions. (DRM-free, 40 players games, Gaz Giants,...)

You can also argue that the kickstarter money wasn't enough and they had to make early access & micro-transaction to finish it, so it's not a successful kickstarter per se.