PokeSmash

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by arseface, September 3, 2014.

1. arseface

arseface Post Master General

We've got one month left till you can have Pocket Smash.

Post friend codes and talk about how ridiculously pumped you are.

3797-7771-6187
    Arseface

I really want to like playing as Rosalina, and I can see myself liking Pacman a lot. Which of the new characters do you guys see yourself liking?

I can't understand a word that's being said, but everything looks awesome.

The customization junk also looks like a faceload of fun, even though it likely won't be for online ranked(it might have a separate ladder).
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I'm super pumped for this. Gonna need a new 3DS charger before it comes out though (cats suck)
    I'm still not really sure who I'll be maining. I mained Toon Link in Brawl, but Palutena and Mii Fighter both look super interesting. It looks like a crazy fun game. Hopefully it's a bit more fast-paced than Brawl was.
    (I'm not one of those Melee purist d-bags, but Brawl was pretty slow.)
  3. arseface

I liked Brawls weight the most. Tripping, roll canceling, and Meta Knight were bullshit though. The heavyness of Melee annoyed me.

The footage I've seen of the new smash bros looks floaty enough for me and the people who have played it say it's faster. You can tell they haven't had much practice though, so none of the footage is representative of what the real pacing will be like.

I usually all random all day when playing against other players. It's just that certain characters are more fun to me.
  4. arseface

So, tomorrow PokeSmash is released in Japan. That means some streamers have already gotten their hands on some retail copies, and we have what is supposedly a full roster now.

Here's the final roster(minus the Miis)
    [​IMG]

Rosalina is still the newcomer I'm most pumped to play, but Pacman actually looks pretty fun too.
  5. tehtrekd

Wow. Not to be nitpicky, but that selection screen looks really... bad.

Like, it looks like it was made in MS Paint.

Also, SMASH BROS 3DS OFFICIAL LIVESTREAM HAPPENING NOW.
    http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo
    squishypon3 likes this.
  6. arseface

I caught a bit of the second half of that stream. Everything looks awesome.

Also, apparently the public demo comes out on the 19th. So we get our hands on it sooner than I'd hoped. Super duper pumped.

EDIT: Apparently the villager can pocket final smashes.

http://a.pomf.se/aqroep.webm
    Last edited: September 13, 2014
  7. tehtrekd

The smash fanbase seems really bent out of shape over the inclusion of Dark Pit.
    I can kind of see the dislike (Sakurai is clearly biased towards Kid Icarus) but seriously, the outrage is just stupid.
  8. arseface

The Smash fanbase is full of idiots, but I can see where a lot of them are coming from. I feel like there's much less of a justification for clone characters in this game.

You have custom movesets where you can swap things out, and some of the characters have full model changes as reskins.

It's not worth getting bent out of shape over, but Lucina and Dark Pit annoy me. Dr. Mario is pretty cloney, but at least he was in a previous smash game.
  9. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

I've got the demo and it's pretty alright.

The game itself runs very smoothly, I don't think there's ever been a moment where it dips down from max FPS (And I'm using the full priced original model 3DS from when they were first released).

There's only 5 characters, Mario, Link, Pikachu, Mega Man, and the Villager, and there's only 2 stages, Battlefield and the Final Destination version of Battlefield (Where items only spawn on Battlefield).

Basically all Nintendo needs to do is updated it to unlock Fox and Falco and it'll be competitive-ready.
  10. arseface

Does the Smash demo support online or is it local only? I'm assuming local only, but a man can dream.

I'm stuck with Smash Lite(Kirby Fighters) for a week until the demo goes public. It's way more solid than I expected, but it's also not Smash Bros.

I'm not sure why so many people were expecting slowdowns in PokeSmash. I've heard the 3DS is about as powerful as a Gamecube and I don't see people whining about Melee lags.
  11. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

It's mainly because pokemon somehow had fps problems
    tehtrekd likes this.
  12. NegimaSonic

NegimaSonic Active Member

Got my code from stalking twitter long enough.

I haven't looked into it much but apparently this one seems to allow characters to survive longer so you've gotta do something called edge guarding. I'm too casual to really get that though, I can say a lot of quick smashes at 100% damage generally aren't going to ko. But some aerial moves are surprisingly strong.

Local only. Controls are supposedly customizable in the full version but not in this so get used to the control stick if you haven't already.

I play with 3d off though. I have seen a slowdown but I believe it is related to an item (like that's the intended purpose).
  13. arseface

Everybody but Megaman feels great so far. I don't think I like Megaman, but he might grow on me eventually.
  14. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Villager is already in the demo. Top tier competition can commence
  15. tehtrekd

Megaman feels Uber-weird. He's like 99% projectile attacks, it's abnormal. He's pretty strong, but iunno.

Also, and I don't know if this is only a problem with the original 3DS, but controlling the game with the circle pad thing feels a little off. It's not awful or anything, but it's not great. Throughout a game I have this feeling of "Goddamn I wish I had an analogue stick..."
  16. arseface

I have a 3DSXL and I'd rather use the d-pad. While an analog stick is clearly best, it's not an option. With the circle pad I have too much trouble differentiating between the directions while I'm trying to maneuver in the air. I've used way too many side b's when I wanted to up b, and down b instead of side b. I never had that issue with Smash Lite(Kirby Fighters) because it used the d pad.

I'd also love to disable "up to jump". I can use the x/y buttons just fine for jumping and it makes u-tilt a chore. Thankfully we've been told that option is in the final game.

EDIT:
    Last edited: September 26, 2014