Please Make Lava A Liquid

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Nicb1, November 28, 2014.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Hello fellow PA forum members.
    Just wanted to voice a suggestion
    ('complaint') for lava planets.

The request is simple.
    Please change lava from just being an unpathable texture on the ground to an unpathable liquid. There are multiple reasons for why this should be done / should have been done.

Reason1:
    These pics should be self
    explanatory.
    [​IMG]
    VS
    [​IMG]

This is one of the central reasons for why I would like lava to behave like water.

Reason 2:
    When creating maps utilising the new map editor users may want to create a planet where a certain portion of it is unpathable. If lava acted like water does instead of just being a texture we would be able to easily achieve this by just placing large craters around the planet or other forms of csg.

Reason 3:
    It just looks strange (well to me anyway). also it doesnt really have the glow that it should have.
    There were some early pieces of biome concept art as well that showed what lava should have looked like. I would like it if lava planets basically had retextured oceans which were unpathable. These oceans should also made non-transparent and have a glow applied if it is possible to do this without causing lag.

I know you guys have a lot of things which have to be done, but I urge you to consider taking another look at lava and lava planets in general at some point in the future.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well lava is molten, but its still not really a liquid.

And magma should be visible below most craters anyway as the planets crust is annihilated away.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I hope Uber never abbandoned the idea of finalising their work towards the concept arts on lava planets.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't see why lava could not just use the same system to be displayed as water, just colored in red with a few tweaks.
    easybox, Zaphys, Remy561 and 5 others like this.
  5. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

atm in map editing we cant move lava around like we can with water which makes base planets on lava biome pointless
    Nicb1 likes this.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Not to mention lava USED to be liquid! Heck I remember the stream where they switched over, I was like- whaaat?
  7. tatsujb

haha
  8. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

I agree. Seems as simple as rational. (Then I thought it would be awesome if your units get melted if they come to close to lava lakes. But then gameplay wise it would probably be just f* annoying and not cool at all.)
  9. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Just adding to this thread something that has crossed my mind several times regarding the visual aspect of the game: Units and structures seem quite nicely done at the moment and they have this feeling of "being vibrant and alive" (you know, flashlights at night, smooth animations...) whereas the terrain still isn't quite there. I like the visual style overall and, apart from minor tweaks ( fixing lava as discussed in this thread so that it resables the original concept art, some details for the oceans and few other small things), I think the biomes look nice and pretty from the purely static point of view. But I would add some small animations that give "life" to the biomes, just as some simple examples:

• Earth planets: Waves or ripples in the oceans so that water looks like a real liquid and not a transparent gel, as it does a bit now.
    • Lava planets: Make the already nice-looking volcanoes really cool by animating them into active volcanoes with a small geyser of lava at the top, a couple of lava rivers flowing along the sides and a small pond of lava at the base. An animation of released gases and some small bubbles on the lava oceans will also work quite well into making the biome look more "alive".
    • Desert planets: Add some dust animations, something like small dust tornadoes or just an animation that conveys the effect that air is blowing by showing some thin dust clouds.
    • Moons: Moons are dead environments so they should remain as they are!
    • Ice planets: Same kind of animations used for desert planets may work for ice planets by changing the colour so it looks like snow in the wind. An occasional geyser in some non-pathable landmarks like cracks will also be nice.
    • Metal planets: Add occasional sparks or bolts around the annihilaser area and maybe more varying ilumination effects from the internal lights of the metal planet.
    These are just some exaples that come to my mind, of course, they must all be implemented in such a way that unit and structure visibility remains clear at all times. For this reason, I think, non-pathable landmarks like volcanoes, cracks, mountains, the annihilaser, lava oceans, etc. are the perfect things to animate a little bit as they will not cause any issues to unit and structre visibility.
    christer1966, bradaz85 and tatsujb like this.
  10. tatsujb

squishypon3 likes this.
  11. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

I think it would be cool if it moved like water. However I don't think it makes sense for boats to be able to go on it.
  12. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

ehhh actually 'heated until liquified' is the definition of molten so....
    Just cause its composed of rock doesn't mean it can't be a liquid :)
    tatsujb likes this.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I prefer non newtonian fluid
  14. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

lol, fair enough
  15. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Do you refer to air as a newtonian fluid?

Non-newtonian fluids can be liquids. The terms aren't mutually exclusive.
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. Nicb1

Seriously guys. I take a look at this thread in the morning to see where its gone, and we've delved into a discussion as to whether lava is a non-Newtonian fluid or otherwise.
    cola_colin and squishypon3 like this.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Go PA forums. :)
    Nicb1 likes this.
  18. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

Sounds like a win to me!

I dunno, threads kinda devolve quickly when everyone more or less agrees :)
    Nicb1 and igncom1 like this.
  19. Nicb1

Yeah I can understand.

Would like to hear an official response from Uber on this issue soon.
  20. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Why don't you just the magic @jables call?

(joke)
    Nicb1 likes this.