playing w better players makes you better?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by feedle, July 22, 2013.

1. feedle

feedle Post Master General

what do you all think. be honest
  2. groundcontrol

groundcontrol Member

Playing with equal skill players or marginally better. Mainly playing offensive and adapting to a higher stress situation that the requires higher skill to get out of.
  3. feedle

i think certain players excell at certain things. slayers. pushers. juicers. ot winners. ball tappers. leaders. talkers. you need a bit of it all and plying w a team or friends will make you better.
  4. frank fotaine

frank fotaine Member

Playing with better players only makes a person better when they themselves are looking for improvement.
  5. leadlpmaster

leadlpmaster Active Member

At the point that most people are who have or do visit these forums, I don't really think anyone is 'better' (whatever that means) than anyone else but rather they have a different play-style that gives them certain advantages over other styles.

At the point I'm at, I can't get better, I can only adapt to how other people play and in that respect, I believe almost anyone can get 'better' playing anyone else who has managed to come to grips with the way the game plays. It doesn't mater how 'good' you are, it matters how well you adapt.

Amen.
  6. feedle

this is the answer i was looking for
  7. De Troll

De Troll New Member

It's true, but this usually entails that the lobby is full of equally skilled players and this just never happens in MNC. Saying that you can't get better just makes you sound silly to be honest.
  8. leadlpmaster

'Better' carries with it a negative connotation that's used quite frequently in these forums. When you or Scratchy or Feedle claim to be the 'best' tank in MNC, those statements are weightless and empty because they carry no actual quantifiable value yet fool people into believing they do.

I cannot play sniper so much that I never miss a headshot, I cannot play tank so much that I never miss with the railgun, I cannot play chess so much that I always checkmate in five moves, it cannot happen, it is a myth fabricated within competition.

People act like the players who play in PM's have stat bars next to their name and we can can count who has more bars overall and that means they're better. That's not the way improvement works, that's not how talent works.

You can improve your ability to react and compensate against other people: if this is what you mean by getting 'better', I agree wholeheartedly. However normally when someone claims that you can beat out the competition by getting 'better' it creates this false series of expectations that relies more on physical observation after the fact rather than systematic improvement during, and the evidence for this is everywhere. I can't tell you how many times I've heard X person brag about how many times they've beaten Y person like it actually proves something. It creates this awkward system of animosity among a community that separates people into 'tiers' and 'class levels'.

Getting 'better' is a myth, improving is not.
  9. De Troll

De Troll New Member

Isn't "getting better" literally the definition of improving?
  10. leadlpmaster

A thesaurus would probably say so. It's just used in an absurd context but at least you understand and agree.
  11. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

seriously cannot believe this thread sparked an on-topic debate...
  12. De Troll

De Troll New Member

I know.
    For the purposes of this thread, can we just agree that getting better and improving are the same thing?
  13. bluntkingmcpussy

bluntkingmcpussy Member

14. feedle

This page:
    Share:
    On this page
    Thesaurus
    Translations
    Word Browser
    Advertisement (Bad banner? Please let us know)

im·prove (m-prv)
    v. im·proved, im·prov·ing, im·proves
    v.tr.
    1. To raise to a more desirable or more excellent quality or condition; make better.
    2. To increase the productivity or value of (land or property).
    3. To put to good use; use profitably.
    v.intr.
    1. To become better.
    2. To make beneficial additions or changes: improve on the translation.

Getting better at what though? Killing pros/killing bots or winning the game
  15. De Troll

De Troll New Member

You have to be great at both to win the game, and there's much more than just killing stuff to be being good. There's always something that can be improved upon.
  16. feedle

'Better' carries with it a negative connotation that's used quite frequently in these forums. When you or Scratchy or Feedle claim to be the 'best' tank in MNC, those statements are weightless and empty because they carry no actual quantifiable value yet fool people into believing they do.

When I claim to be the best tank I am the best tank when it comes to killing bots
    That's where I say hands down im the best and many will agree...
    Best tank slaying ... HELL NO!
    Best tank who will keep the ball down and win the game... Hell yeah!

Name a better tank in this regard?? How many other tanks in the game can go 4-52 and still pull off a win and keep bots out of the base?
  17. botpunch2les

botpunch2les Active Member

And I thought your other posts were dumb...
  18. botpunch2les

I'm calling you out for boiling down the Feedle stereotype and jumping on the hate bandwagon.

The fact that you just say what other people have said for years without anything to back it up and use broad generalizations pretty much means that I have no need to "defend" anyone.

Pre-teen fashion from the one who has no opinions of his/her/it's own.

You'll have to do better than that.

:lol:

(Also I'm going to assume you're the same idiot who decided to try and troll the boards last time, but no one found your idiotic posts funny so now you have to try and say the same sh*t people have been saying for years so someone will think you have some knowledge of this game.)

How's that for something to add?
  19. botpunch2les

Do you have anything to add or did 4chan already ban you?
  20. feedle

ask scratchy how he lost? ask murky too...