Player base and replay value

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by XENONOX, February 28, 2011.

1. XENONOX

XENONOX New Member

Obviously people who post here still plays, but I'm wondering the player base for the 360 and whether or not it'll die.

There won't be a number to the player base, but I'm just curious on the opinion on the longevity of this game.

Also, how's the replay value of this game for people who plays this game a lot? Still fun? Boring? Redundant?

Call this a survey if you will, but I'm just curious how people feel.

Amen.
  2. MLGIntervention

MLGIntervention Active Member

I feel like it's an arcade game its never going to be huge but still fun.
  3. Miracle

Miracle New Member

It gets really old unless you play against good competetion.
  4. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Best $15 I have ever spent, but I'm afraid many others (New players who get trashed) don't agree.
  5. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

I agree with Vortex.

Really, for 15 dollars, this will probably be the best money you ever spend in terms of getting the most for you money.

However, this is coming from somebody who's played since launch and kept up with the forums.

The others, meaning the randoms who buy the game, are completely outmatched, and more than likely put off.

I see this game dying within the next year or two.

It's a small game, and arcade, no less. Most people don't take it seriously. Any games found will be fun, until that one All Star comes in and shows you what your sphincter looks like. Rinse, repeat, and several hours later, your experience is ruined.

The people who will stay are those who have been with it the entire time, and just don't feel like picking up PC. Think Orange Box on 360.

I find the game to be a ton of fun. Though, at times, it does indeed seem boring, or redundant. You can only do so much until getting an Uber Streak/Undefeated each game gets old. Even screwing around is eventually "Meh". Then, just trying as hard as you can to show that other guy who's boss. A good balance between the three keeps things fresh, but it's hard to find, especially with the godawful matchmaking. Obviously you stack the bots and they transform. GIANT FIGHTING ROBOT FTW!!!
  6. Deadpool FTW

Deadpool FTW New Member

The only reason I'm still playing this game for more than an hour or 2 at a time is the randomness and fast pace. Most players don't take the same routes, since there is so many. In games like TF2, there are routes that everyone takes. Not exactly so in MNC. The game being fast paced helps my dying-goldfish-like attention span, since there is almost always something happening.
  7. StarPilot87

StarPilot87 New Member

*goes to Leaderboards*
    *presses Y twice*
    *presses X once*

5,292. Yes, I did do that just to spite you.

As for the future, I'd like to think Orange Box and Battlefield 1943 are potential examples of what MNC may be like in a year as far as player base is concerned. There will still be a dedicated core of players, as well as some occasional players and new players. The skill curve will be ridiculously high though, and the game will likely stagnate over time, even with support from the developers.
  8. Undertaker4uplr

Undertaker4uplr New Member

I to have played since launch, and have followed the forums. Love playing the game, but hate getting pounded. The gap between people at my level of play and the elite is just to big. Throw 6 elite players on a team, and sometimes it doesn't even feel like a game. I feel for anyone who plays at lower skill levels at this point. I see the 360 version dying, and basically becoming PC only. Don' see them keeping the servers up if the play level falls below a certain level (similar to actions EA takes with under performing franchises), especially with Uber such a small company.
  9. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

I kind of see MNC going the way of TF2 like it's been said. PC community has staying power. Majority of XBL players come and go with the tide on most games. Still, I'll be supporting Uber all the way, buying both DLC for both the PC & Xbox

I am darned thankful I can just plug my Xbox controller and chug away on the PC like its my Xbox. Same reason I picked up TF2 for PC, controller compatible.

...waits for Polynomial to bring up his infamous PC vs Console gamers article :lol:
  10. ObiFett

ObiFett New Member

This game will live and die on the balancing updates / content additions.

If Uber can't update the 360 game, balancing it and keeping it fresh, it won't be able to compete with all the other games that slowly pull players away. As a result, the playerbase will slowly whittle away to nothing.

I haven't played in a while and I LOVE this game. Its need new life breathed into it through some simple balance changes and/or new content.
  11. destructamental

destructamental New Member

I'll stick to xbox as long as I'm still finding games. If/when it dies, I'll switch to pc.
  12. Airwags

Airwags New Member

I think MNC most definitely has the potential to be around for a long time to come. With a little help from Uber and an active tournament scene I think it could last at least another 2 years. Assuming MNC 2 isn't out by then.

The game is still evolving enough to keep every game new and different which really helps with the re-playability. Combined with an already good (maybe not perfect but better than most) balance and over all quality of the game it has potential for some serious staying power. I know I'll be playing it till it's dead. Hell, I still play the original Halo and that game is almost 10 years old now.
  13. Zander Star

Zander Star New Member

I find this game can sometimes get old if I play with more than three people o my team, even then it gets reptitive, i try to play on my own as much as I can, and answer peoples messages about how i play as much as I can. As for how long I think itll last,this game is fine in terms of staying alive if you consider, it's launch price, and the amount of interaction Uber has with its fan base. I think once it wins best arcade multy then some people are gunna buy it. That being said, I think it would be in the communities best intrest for everyone that posts on the fourms to either stick in private matches or fun matches to give those new players a chance to learn the game for a week, Or if Uber could put some sort of Mercenary playlist together that would force random teams.
  14. IrradiatedRadex

IrradiatedRadex New Member

Everytime I get a good connection the game feels new to me. I play on 100+ ping all the time.
  15. mute

mute New Member

I've more or less stopped playing in lobbies with friends during certain times of the day because I've noticed when playing solo that there are only a handful of lobbies going on late at night and it absolutely ruins the game when you can't join anything except one where people are getting pubstomped by the same 5-6 people EVERY night. Some guy messaged me about it the other day (bouncer skiiing something) and I agreed/friended.. plus, it gets seriously boring being in a 3-6 ppl lobby when the game never matches you up with other parties. I feel the match making in this game combined with the lack of consideration for others that alot of people seem to have, will kill this game. I've always felt that way from day 1 of the release, but it's much more obvious now. Uber really needs to do something about the match making before the new users stop showing up due to a ugly multiplayer/matchmaking-reputation.

As far as for how popular the game is.. its pretty friggin popular. I've played alot of Arcade games that have multiplayer and out of all of them MNC easily has the most players online 24/7. Only game that'll give it a run for its money in terms of players might be Battlefield 1943, but its not as popular as it once was due to subsequent disc versions coming out (BC2).
  16. teapot

teapot Post Master General

I play constantly by my self as its easier to find games, more fun when you don't have good teammates to easily win the game, and get matched up against better players. I'll play a few games with those people until I find similar patterns or find the game is repeating itself. Quit, find a new game, and it feels fresh.

Unfortunately I don't know how much longer this game will last, or if a MNC2 is going to be in the works. I hope the community holds for a year or so. That'd be awesome.
  17. XENONOX

XENONOX New Member

It is certainly nice to receive feedback and the opinion behind it from the community.

Although I can't say how the standard non-forum community feels about the game, it is certain that the people that do go on the forum is losing interest on the game, and the lack of features to encourage more challenging games is going to dissuade us to other games or platforms.

Regardless, the game is still extremely popular in the XBLA section and we will see new players from time to time.

Amen.
  18. Pothocket

Pothocket New Member

I don't see this game having the staying power of TF2. I can get into the pace as much as anyone but I don't enjoy feeling like I'm forced to constantly multitask in order to stay ahead of the curve. It's fine, it just doesn't work as the ONLY pace to play the game at.

The multitask gameplay also encourages friends to split up and do separate things in order to cover more ground. TF2's level design naturally encourages teams to work together on single goals. So I can see friends that play together moving away from MNC because of this.

It's also alot easier for top tier players to exploit their classes to dominate pub games. In 360 TF2, if a "pro" player wanted to play like an *** and get every advantage he could get even though he didn't need it, his options were limited to demoman. But in MNC, it seems like every character has the same skill curve of the demo. There's only so much gold armor/RoF juice rushing an average player can take from "pros" (that are already better players without the exploiting) before that average player decides it's not worth it anymore.

So people will leave. With the player base of casual gamers drying up, it'll only encourage the other casual gamer types to leave all the more quicker. Then it'll be impossible to start out as a noob just looking for some fun.
  19. IPUR3 EVIL

IPUR3 EVIL New Member

I will continue to play daily until Brink comes out. If by then there has been no more dlc and i like how brink plays then i doubt i will come back on, i can only play so few maps for so long.

On the other hand, it has been the best multi-player game ive owned in terms of originality. With more money it could be an amazing game.
  20. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

What I like about the game is that there are so many different ways to play. I can play support, turtle and build turrets, or I can be the main slayer and destroy everything. If people would branch out and play different classes, they might find more interest in the game.