Platform Biased Podcast with Scathis

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by scathis, November 8, 2010.

1. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

I sat with the awesome Microsoft guys that do the Platform Biased podcast.

Talked about various things including MNC DLC!

http://platformbiased.com/
  2. Scented Midget

Scented Midget New Member

3. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Haha, just finished listening to the whole thing.

You did a wonderful job! I like podcasts like these because it feels like you're right there with the people, even though they're just coming out of your speakers, haha.

But yes, it was nice to get some insight as to what went on behind the scenes as far as MNC goes--or at least, moreso than I obtained from Game with Devs day.

I found the Whiteboxing talk very interesting. What does the term "White Box" mean?
    And was it during this time that some of the site's video media was made (I ask this mainly due to the pickups in the St. Patrick's Day Commercial that are now nonexistent)?
  4. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

Ok:

What did you do when you worked on Supreme Commander? This is one of my favorite games ever. Did you work on Forged Allaince too?

Are the new Highlights and Career Pro Tags going to be retro-active?
  5. scathis

Whiteboxing is very much like it sounds, we make a world where everything is just white boxes. That way we can iterate on gameplay and content quickly without wasting precious 'done-looking' art. It's ok if something doesn't work because we didn't spend a lot of resources to make it. So we can rip stuff out and try new stuff very quickly.
    I was the lead gameplay programmer for Supreme Commander. The only time in my career where I was a programmer instead of a designer.
    I also worked on Earth & Beyond, Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour and The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth.

I did not work directly on Forged Alliance. I had moved off to start Demigod by that time. Although some of the work I did for Demigod ended up in Forged Alliance.
  6. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Ah, how intriguing! I'll have to remember that during my future endeavors.
  7. scathis

Uber development rule #1: Find the fun first.
  8. ForeverZero

ForeverZero New Member

Congratulations, this game is the most fun I have had in a shooter since Borderlands.
  9. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Right~! I believe in that, too. Hence my Gamer Zone being Recreation. You did a superlative job in creating an engaging and highly entertaining game!

Relevantly, I agree to what you said about Achievements. By no means am I an achievement-whore. While they're nice to get, and I may glance over the list, I won't go out of my way to get them. I only have all the Achievements of Monday Night Combat (my next closest being Geometry Wars, in which I'm only missing the "Smile" achievement which is really quite clever!)

I feel that gunning only for achievements robs the game of its potential for fun.

Though, others can argue that gunning for achievements IS fun, but we all have our opinions.
  10. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

One of those "I can't tell you." items, or do the new highlights have to do exclusively with the new maps/blitz mode?
  11. scathis

Oops, sorry.

They will not be retroactive... because the current game doesn't keep track of the new stuff, so they can't be.
  12. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Haha nice interview. I especially liked the part where you excepted defeat to the heard of "melee swarm" during the Game w/ Devs. For those who didn't exactly know what you were talking about thought "cool" and for those who did just smiled. :)

Uber Entertainment has honestly became my favorite group of developers and these interviews help me see what it's really like at Uber. Like you say find the fun first and with the right people it just all comes together perfectly.

Thank you for Monday Night Combat. haha Ironically enough MNC is the only game I have all achievements in and I am somewhat of an "Achievement Hunter." Not so much the whoring part. :lol:

Wow. I never even noticed. :lol: I've had three of those games.
  13. scathis

Which three?
  14. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

The RTS'. I'm sort of a casual rts fan. If it starts to get too competitive aka you attack my wonderful base, I get upset. I like to make "cool" looking bases instead of really playing. My brother is the real pro at strategy games.
  15. Scias19

Scias19 New Member

nice podcast Scathis

so thats why The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth was a good game :D
  16. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

since the computers playing on hard with a handicap still is usually no more than a 6/10 on the skill list, i love making cool-looking bases on base-build games, like c&c (you didnt tell me you worked on a c&c game! Westwood Studios is in vegas? no wonder this game kicks ***!)

i liked how you took the aspects of a lot of overhead stragedy combat games and tower defence games and applied them to on-foot team combat. thats what hooks me. :)
  17. Cheesecakecrush

Cheesecakecrush New Member

The Italicized games are a couple of my favorite RTS games. Zero Hour especially. Love suicide bikes! And the Aircraft General.