Planetary Biome Concept Art: April 5th, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 5, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

This is the landing point for conversation about the biome concepts.

The Post: http://www.uberent.com/pa/2013/04/05/pl ... -concepts/

Biomes do not represent a single planet type, but rather the tools available which planets can be assembled with. A single planet could be made up of one or more of the biomes shown.

Thanks everyone!
  2. neophyr3

neophyr3 New Member

I'm liking it so far.

On another note, when you said the file (the picture with the biomes) was very large, I was expecting a giant image that would take like 10 minutes to look over; or at least take up like 20 MB. Not sure what was so "very large".
  3. Kashaar

Kashaar New Member

Ooh, very exciting - I love the variety! Thanks for the sneak peek :)
  4. dudebart

dudebart New Member

Indeed. Looks very nice, but I also expected some 4000x8000 pixels image :D
  5. rustytl

rustytl New Member

I like the mech planet. I can see building myself a Star Wars Universe. Mech planet = Coruscant!
  6. stormcloud23

stormcloud23 New Member

Very, very impressive. Especially the jungle, forest, and lava biomes. I'm not sure if the image on Tumblr is as large/hi resolution as you imply. Still, great work.
  7. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Every time I see those swirls I just picture clumsy naval units stuck in them trying helplessly to turn around.

They look neat, and I did see the new movement calculation engine demo (I forget the term used) but it still worries me that they will become logistical nightmares.

Also, I saw that there was a grey planet and a grey moon that both look very similar. Why not make one more brownish or make the moon whiter to differentiate them a bit more?

In either case this looks very promising and I can't wait for the higher resolution image to be up! Great work guys!
  8. stormcloud23

stormcloud23 New Member

Remember, these are biomes, not planets. The grey "planet" is just the mountain biome, and can appear on many kinds of planets. The moon palette is specific to moons.
  9. exgerth

exgerth New Member

Well... How about swamps and more fog? It would be interesting tatically speaking!
  10. osirus9

osirus9 Member

That's a good point,

However it raises another in my eyes. Are all moons going to look the same? Will there be "forest moons"? like little baby planets with planet biomes except as a moon for a larger planet?
  11. superubernova

superubernova New Member

Forest moons... with little furry creatures and shield generators....
  12. exgerth

exgerth New Member

Definitively hope so! It would be great!
  13. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

On the backer forum, it was stated that each one of these biome pictures could be a wallpaper for an entire 1080p dektop.
  14. lminith

lminith New Member

I've been loving all the kinks you guys have been puting on PA.
    I love the biomes idea too, but the swirls on the tropical biome (as shown on this pic) still look a bit exagerated.

Realisticaly speaking, on those types of biome the sand gets moved and become more alongated, following the flow of the water currents and often swirl, but the swirls are never closed as much as in this concept art and the teaser video... unless you ahve a sinkhole in the middle of each swirl :p
    Yes, I heard you guys said the swirls won't be as exagerated, but this concept still is so i'd like to point that out. This breaks a bit of (free) realism.

@osirus9
    Flow fields. The flow would be fine, it would make things realistic, but in these types of biome you shouldn't be building subs (realistic).
    See those swirl areas somewhat like the Amazon River, they only move there with small boats and hovercrafts, subs and big ships will have problems navigating there IRL, so the flow map will act the same way. Seeing as big ships and subs units turn rate will be slower on the game, just like on TA they were.
  15. mrwho

mrwho New Member

Not really a fan of the swirls, although I think they said they would be moving away from them and towards a more realistic look in one of the livestreams. Looks good so far though - good graphics but not overly demanding so my laptop FPS rate would better be measured by SPF.
  16. veta

veta Active Member

Where's my Mars red wasteland?
  17. ekulio

ekulio Member

These look amazing!!!

Seriously, I am so impressed with how the aesthetic of the game is turning out. I thought if it looked just like the trailer I would be overjoyed... but you've all gone and outdone yourselves by a huge margin.

If I were in Seattle I would send you all a cake.

I'm especially excited about that coniferous forest one. That looks really snazzy.

Can someone confirm whether the gas giants will come in different colors? Will they all be Jupiter-orange?

P.S. I think you guys worrying about the swirls are reading into this a bit much. They've already confirmed several times that those won't be as extreme as in the trailer. These images are just to get an idea of "the look" as I understand.
  18. stephen10188

stephen10188 New Member

I’ve been directed hear instead of just commenting on the facebook pic :p. I would like to know if any Acid seas are in the pipeline as 'water' barriers without naval units made for some interesting battles. I appreciate that this may be more difficult to get working as just a biome, given that it could just be bypassed by units but perhaps as a palate/template/theme similar to the barren moon in the pic.
  19. neophyr3

neophyr3 New Member

Maybe they uploaded the wrong file then, because when I downloaded the picture, the entire thing was 702 x 1920.
  20. user82

user82 New Member

I can hardly read the font in that picture and see too less details.
    Could someone please post a bigger version again :p