Planetary Annihilation LiveStream: May 3rd, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 24, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

2. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Awesome job, guys! Thanks for the shout out!

I love how the Chrono Cam works (and the name)! It's a HUGE step forward compared to SupCom. And backwards compatible replays are beast!

Fights look pretty damn good already. The dynamic lights are impressive! Can you put 3 lights on the commander to make him more readable compared to other units?

Btw, you need a rating for Germany or you can't sell your game here or on Steam (for German customers). :(
  3. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

That was a great Livestream! Honestly, for what I expected of an Alpha, it looks well beyond that. Definitely impressed.
  4. pudeldestodes

pudeldestodes Member

Indeed!!! looks realy great for an alpha version!

Great work guys !
  5. therishka

therishka New Member

Thank you very much. ChronoCam is just awesome just as other things u've shown to us. There are several question that were mentioned in the StreamChat. If you don't mind i would like to get the answers:
    1) Will there be Day/Night influences?
    2) What about Unit Cap?
    3) What is the main difference between commanders (and how many comms are able to play)?

P.S.: Can't find the backer's forum... where is it?
  6. comham

comham Active Member

That was pretty good. Minor comment: when all those units were firing on the commander, seeing all those bullet trails converge on the dead center of the commander model, that looked a bit naff. Maybe have units aim at a random point on the hitbox, or have multiple hotspots that units can aim at?
  7. dala1984

dala1984 Member

Can you post more Gameplay???? AWESOME GAME
  8. rorybecker

rorybecker Member

If that (or better) is what we get for alpha, then I'm very happy :D

Actually I'm pretty happy anyway.

Looks like you guys are well on track.

Well done indeed.

Keep up the good work.

:D
  9. DrognaN

DrognaN New Member

Can't wait to play the alpha now :)
  10. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Looked great, can't believe how much it's come on since the last stream!

Lighting is really something else, battles on the dusk side are going to be beautiful!

The smoke from the destroyed buildings and the missile trails was really nice, chunky yet soft.

Hope we can see the lava biome next time!

The only thing I would comment negatively on is that the combat was very short range, it felt more like SupCom 2 (hisssss) rather than TA.

But with the scalable planets and the horizon changing, I guess creating larger weapon ranges might be a problem for the direct fire weapons.
  11. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I dread the livestream ending.

The forums explode. I feel compelled to clean up the ensuing mess :p
  12. themak

themak New Member

Need to have an option to always display strategic icons. Whenever it was zoomed in I immediately lost the feeling of army composition up until it was really close and we can clearly see individual units.
  13. comham

comham Active Member

I recommend you replay TA. I played a little skirmish just yesterday in anticipation of the livestream and units engage at only 7 or 9 times their length, pretty much the same as the livestream combat demo.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Oh Lords I'm going to be busy.......

Mike
  15. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

This. While it's true that long ranged units in TA could be very long ranged, most units were very short ranged.
  16. lavizh

lavizh New Member

Thanks for an awesome live stream Uber.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's exactly what I felt. But I would not worry. The icons were the first pass whatsoever and the setting to always render them is only changing the height at which they are no longer displayed to "below 0". So they will just need to change a single number and it's gonna be there. They basically have that option already.

Apart from this... awesome stuff overall, can't wait to play it myself.
    Now I am just wondering if I should request vacation beginning with the last week of may or with the first week of june. Damn, give me a week-accurate date already :p
  18. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I would almost consider the current strat icons to be zero-th pass. They are barely in so there will be a lot more work on that system.

Honestly I wouldn't book vacation for the first couple weeks of alpha. I anticipate a lot of issues that we have to work through in the real world. Book vacay for later in June when things are more solid.
  19. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

So far so good! There's obviously a lot of work to go, but a few things really irked me:

- The battles become nearly impossible to see due to the over the top effects. The only thing really visible were health bars, and this was with battles of only a few dozen low tech units. Have a hundred units, and the entire field becomes endless smoke.
    - the ubergun seems rather... unimpressive. It appears to take inspiration from Supcom's Overcharge, which was a moderately effective small AoE launcher. Not quite so uber. Please use the line-o-death D-gun from TA! It should be as powerful as possible, right up to the game breaking point. After all, you only get one.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah I somehow could've guess this. Impatience is heavily interfering with my mind. I just realized that I will have a 3 weeks period of vocational school in the first weeks of june anyway. I can't take vacation while school. On the same time it means only half the work-time and more time to play anyway. I think I'll just put a day or two of vacation before it and 2 full weeks after it. So with the 4th week of june and 1th week of july I am gonna have 2 full weeks to fully spend on a bit more mature version of the alpha and at the end of may I am gonna have a long weekend to get into alpha before school starts. If the alpha should fail to be playable at that long weekend I can live with it, it's just 2 days of vacation "risked" anyway. Perfect :)