Planetary Annihilation and Titans multiplayer question

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by eagle722, August 21, 2015.

1. eagle722

eagle722 Member

Hello people,

Ok here is my question:

Since Planetary Annihilation is no longer available to buy on steam and I know there is a kind of "retro compatibility" multiplayer mode where the people from titan can "click something" to play with the PA people (me, early backer, blah blah blah).

Does the "click something" is actually to deactivate the content from Titans and just have the content from PA? Because if so... I guess nobody from Titans will do that, leading to the death of Planetary Annihilation (first of his name).

I mean, if you cannot buy PA anymore.... Is it the end of PA? That's it? :/ No more new stuff for the PA people and we should move on and buy the expansion to continue to be able to play?
    I thought Titan was just a expansion standalone and there would be other expansion for PA but now we cannot even buy PA.

I am not raging once again, I am just asking question :( I am really surprised that Uber decided to make PA unavailable to buy.
  2. lazlopsylus

lazlopsylus New Member

It's nothing more than a simple switch in Settings to swap between Titans and "Classic" (vanilla PA). Can be swapped back and forth by Titans owners as much as they want.

As for vanilla PA no longer being available, the idea is essentially that PA Titans is now the standard for PA going forward, and so PA Titans has "replaced" vanilla PA on the marketplace.
  3. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

You only need to toggle the setting to go into PA Classic mode if you are trying to host a PA Classic game. If you go the the multiplayer lobby and see a game you want to join, just join it. Even if you are currently on Titans mode and the game you are joining is Classic mode, it will just work.
    radongog likes this.
  4. eagle722

eagle722 Member

Yeah but why would PA:T players play with PA people anymore? :/ We got the "lesser version" now, we don't have your fancy titans...
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I played a game of classic last night from titans. No special settings needed. Remember most of the improvements to notifications, visuals and ui were updated on classic as well :)

As to why? Well it's a case of you want a game, there is a classic game up, then may as well join it than wait for ages for a suitable titans game.

As there's no blockers there I don't see why players wouldn't join really. Also uber have confirmed, PA original will still be getting updates to the engine and bug fixes and so on. Also there are some pretty impressive (and free) mods for original and everyone can join those games too, if you fancy super units without the expansion (e.g. the excellent gallactic annihilation by @stuart98 ).
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Basically, buy Titans.

Titans has killed the original PA.
  7. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

A player with Titans enabled can also see and join custom PA games.
    It's that simple and easy.

I'll try to post a screenshot later if no one else dose.
    Last edited: August 21, 2015
  8. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

Yes, PA will still be getting updates, but these will be bufixes, optimalisations, ... New content will be coming only to Titans, and that is what keeps players coming back.

No new content = people get bored. :p
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm if Galactic Annihilation classic works with the updated vanilla game?
  10. eagle722

eagle722 Member

You can bring new content but you shouldn't make a game unavailable to buy in aim to "forget the past". It's like your kitchen is on fire and you are like "Well gotta buy another kitchen" and you lock your clients in the restaurant and let them burn while saving the "worthy ones". :(
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Where is the point in continung to sell the base game alone? A person who is new to PA will want to have the full product anyway?
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. eagle722

eagle722 Member

You can just put PA cheap and the DLC more expansive :) so that the people from the first game would not feel betrayed or left alone.
    Or you just upgrade PA to PA:T for everybody because PA is only the "lesser game" or "the ugly one" now :( (yes ... :( )
  13. cola_colin

And why would a new player only buy PA vanilla?
    stuart98 and tunsel11 like this.
  14. eagle722

eagle722 Member

Cheaper, only to tryout the game, maybe a future mod would only be for PA (hey we never know).
    And then why would players of the original PA would be left out? Especially when we know they are kind of "enraged" right now..
  15. cola_colin

Are there really people who plan to play PA vanilla because they like it more than titans?
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. eagle722

eagle722 Member

Then why leave all the players from the original PA if it's "not worth to play in vanilla mode in comparison to Titan"?
    What was the right thing to do for those who supported the developpers? What was the right thing to do for gaming experience and the future of gaming?
    I understand you but what was the right thing?
  17. mwreynolds

From steam

I can understand you feelings that PA is getting left in the cold, but I do believe if you like the game at all the $13 is well worth it.
  18. eagle722

eagle722 Member

I would have preferred if the devs did what the Orion: Prelude devs did for their game :/ You know, say it was "shiiiiiiiiiiii....take" but work and make it one of the greatest game without loosing the community and developping an even greater and stronger community behind the game.
  19. mwreynolds

[​IMG]

Even when titans is active you can join any PA games not marked by titans. But will play with only PA units etc.
  20. eagle722

eagle722 Member

Yes I know that already... It's differentiating the players and of course people will not want to play "vanilla PA" as said before :)
    I am still speaking about what was right to do for the evolution of PA, Uber and gaming in general. It's not to late to do some changes :) In a world of DLCs for hats, "weapons", skins, maps and units instead of full campaign, story, factions and functionnalities... It is still possible :D