Planetary Annihilation 1vs1 Invitational #1

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neptunio, August 22, 2013.

1. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

[​IMG]

Game 5: Semi Final #1

Game 6: Semi Final #2

Game 7: GRAND FINAL

This post is to announce the creation of the first Planetary Annihilation tournament! Eight of the best 1v1 players have been invited to play in a single elimination tournament, and ZaphodX (www.youtube.com/user/zaphodx1) has agreed to be the official tournament caster!

The prize for winning the tournament is simply a $50 steam voucher to the winner (not a huge prize but I'm having to sponsor the tournament out of my own pocket!). The games will be played on a predetermined map with the following statistics:

Moon/Lava
    Seed 12929
    Radius 20
    Height Range 0
    Water Height 60
    Temperature 100

This map has quite a lot of metal, but it is almost perfectly spread out over the surface of the planet, which lends for very even starts and very sprawling bases!

Gentleman's rules apply as in the Gentleman's ladder thread.

If you get a bad spawn, then spawn anyway and allow Zaphod to decide whether the starting positions are fair or not. I give him total power to decide whether a game deserves a rematch.

The games will be added to Zaphod's channel at a rate of one match per day. Quarter and semi finals will be best of 1 with the final being a best of 3. Overall the tournament will take 7 days to go to youtube.

The draw is as follows (fully randomised):

[​IMG]

This post will be updated with the youtube videos of the tournament as they are created, or you can simply subscribed to ZaphodX's channel at youtube.com/user/zaphodx1
    Last edited: September 7, 2013
    Clopse, superouman, sorenr and 2 others like this.
  2. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for considering me for this tournament. I totally didn't give NeptuniO a pony for a starting position.....

I'm sure there is an agreement that the outcomes of matches aren't allowed to be discussed until the video's are here? You know, to keep the viewing experience exciting!
  3. Armond

Armond New Member

This is pretty cool. I'll pitch in a $25 steam voucher to whoever gets second place.
    Clopse, gunshin, cola_colin and 2 others like this.
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

5. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Correct

And thanks very much to Armond for throwing in a 2nd place prize!
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Great thing, thanks to neptunio already :)

Also great, thanks :)
    So I'll be 3rd. I can see it.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wait where was the signup and stuff?
  8. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I could livestream the games if you guys want. I can add an x minute delay to prevent ghosting.
    Would make it a legit e-sports tournament :p
  9. stealth870

stealth870 New Member

This is gonna hurt. :rolleyes:
  10. zaphodx

It's an invitational.
  11. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

its an invitational, not a sign up. if you want to the ability to get into said events in the future (if they happen), join the iirc #planetaryannihilation
  12. theadamwest

theadamwest Member

should be good matches! My money's on Gunshin!
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

go Colin go Colin! :) Gonna watch this!
  14. shenanigans42

shenanigans42 New Member

Ha, good to see that the two people I played yesterday as my first games in the gentlemans league were on the shortlist for this.. Always good to learn to swim by jumping in the deepend.

Godde, my money is on you.
  15. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Godde is too good, i all in my asteroid coins on him

and PA Esports is real
  16. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

You said you would wait!! Anyhows best of luck with this. Looking forward to zaps videos. When does it start?

Nice random draw. Better seeds avoiding each other first round is lucky.

I put all my Internet money's on cola.
  17. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Sweet! Really looking forward to watching all of your games, and ZaphodX does great commentary. Can't wait to see what the PA community does regarding tournaments, could be really interesting.
  18. zaphodx

Tourney brackets:
    http://challonge.com/PAInvitational1

Figured I should manage it since I'll be present for each game.

For the contestants, please search for me and your opponent to co-ordinate playing your games. I will be as active as possible in the IRC just PM me to get my attention - let's try and get lots of these games played over this weekend guys :)

We also need to sort out rules - I think we are playing Gentleman's rules, the only specific thing to clarify is what to do about the commander repair bug.
  19. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

its hard to keep track of it because it happens when you set engis to assist the com.
  20. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Thanks Zaphod.

Gentleman's rules apply as in the ladder thread (no abuse of obvious bugs). If you see it obvious bugs being exploited zaphod, just let the players know and give them a reasonable change to stop it.

If we can get through the Ro8 this weekend and maybe the semi finals too, then I'd love to see the first videos being uploaded starting Monday and finishing Sunday with the finals.
    Last edited: August 23, 2013