Pinging mechanics

Discussion in 'Support!' started by legitlobster, June 17, 2013.

1. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

Just throwing a quick one out here: With no proper flat "map", how are pings going to show up for team members? Do they just show righ through the planet? Or will there be little arrows indicating that I need to move the camera to see the ping? What do you think?
  2. asgo

asgo Member

while advanced UI features are probably things for a later stage, in principle it's an interesting question.
    and that's just on one planet, add a few and things get more complicated.
    similar issues (like "under attack" messages) were discussed at least at the edge of topics like mini maps and general information flow topics.

I for one still like the idea of a small list window where all alerts from different categories are added in chronological order and where you can click on an item and jump to the point of interest (perhaps with a back button to your starting point). It's relative easy in terms usability and implementation and it would work for many information topics, even if later on something more advanced is added for certain areas.
  3. veta

veta Active Member

for sure, not a bad idea - something like the notification/chat log in ZK would be good too:
    https://code.google.com/p/zero-k/wiki/Interface (see: #8)

some added functionality would be notifications actually linking to an appropriate camera position based on the alert/ping.
    >under attack notification
    >click it and it centers the camera on the units under attack
  4. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

I like this. Especially since I suppose that my zoom is going to center on planets that I have scouted/built on, requiring me to click on fog-of-wared planets to zoom on them. Clickable notifications would allow me to jump there directly. Maybe have a colored arrow (red for attack ping, green for reinforcements ping, etc.) point to the according position on single click and have the camera jump there on doubleclick.