Performance in v61250/61450

Discussion in 'Support!' started by zaphodx, February 20, 2014.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

How is your performance? I'm finding it even worse than the previous patch. Max planet radius I can do has gone down from 650 to 500 single system before slideshows make the game unplayable from 20-30 minutes in. I'm convinced it's the number of units slowing the sim to a crawl rather than a graphical issue.
    uberpenu likes this.
  2. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

As we Said to you yesterday, even worse too :( ...
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Client and sim performance do not intersect.
    Did you checked sim performance using Ctrl+P?
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

What's your graphics card?
  5. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Last night we had a game that was 3 fps in the sim. I can see this even on my "Mars" system, which is just a single scale 4 lava planet (with no lava).

It runs great at first then bogs down in the later game when there are tons of units.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That's odd, I noticed better performance. I'm on integrated graphics (Intel HD4000) though so maybe there were CPU optimizations this patch. Next patch will get GPU optimizations.

I have a hard time believing it's the sim when things are running fine for me.
  7. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I also thought performance was better, instead of worse. After an hour of 4p FFA it was still running above 30 fps. And HDR now works on my MacBook Pro again.

I never understood why the framerate in Zaphod's vids is so terrible. It's so strange. Is his machine crap? Is the internet? The game? Or is it bad luck?
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

APUs are less affected by CPU bottleneck due to unified memory, e.g there is no expensive copy between GPU and CPU.

So there is completely no reason to compare APU performance with CPU+GPU.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  9. zaphodx

Well I'll start checking the sim speed to investigate further. It makes sense poor graphics cards are getting a boost from graphics improvements but I have a GTX780 and it makes no difference. It really seems to be number of units on the field. SXX do you recommend I start using beta drivers?
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you have lags on GTX780 it's doesn't make sense because I doubt bottleneck in GPU performance.
    You might try to enable/disable "Threaded Optimization" and check if graphics settings actually affect performance or not.

Also I'm obviously mean that is only important if you talking about low client FPS and not server/sim.
  11. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Is this at Uber graphics settings?
  12. zaphodx

It makes no difference if I'm at max or min settings.
  13. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

I was at min settings last night testing against one AI and had horrible performance after about 45 min into the game. The last two patches have made performance get to a crawl. Playing against three or four AI and eliminating all but one does not have an effect either, which makes me wonder if there is a memory leak leading to PA swapping. I need to monitor this the next time I play I guess.

I have an i5 3570k, an Nvidia GTX 670 (ASUS OG version I have is the equiv of the stock GTX 680) and 8 GB (DDR3 @ 2133) of ram on Windows 7 x64.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The UI in the new patch feels sluggish. Like it actually results in missclicks and weird misshaps later in the game. Feels like back in alpha. Basically I need to play slow or the UI will miss half my actions.
  15. zaphodx

Well I installed newest driver and it seems to have helped a bit.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Check threaded optimizations, sometimes it's can improve performance a lot (or kill it completely lol).
  17. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

For some reason with this patch, i can not run PA at all max setting, the game just does not respond normally. It's like there is a gigantic lag where everything takes 1 second to actually proces. Since i downloaded the lates WHQL Nvidia driver and tuned down the texture scaling it was ALLOT better and i got a GTX680 it's lower then yours Zaphod but i can play it perfectly now.
  18. zaphodx

Ok I'll check out threaded optimisation. How big are the games you're playing paulusss? Players/planets/time ?
  19. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

I played a 1000 radius lava planet, scale 4 against 6 AI and it only slowed down a little bit, but not mutch or unplayable. hole planet was full of buildings and allot of units scored around untill i was defeated by nukes ^^

Ohyeah and a compleet reinstall of the game, dont know if that helps but i had too since the patch screwed up some stuff, like unit selection and strategic icons were gone for good! after the reinstall everything was perfect again.
    Last edited: February 21, 2014
  20. uberpenu

uberpenu Member

this last little update barely lets me play, if at all. It just shows a black screen 80% of the time and crashes often when it never did any of that stuff for me ever
    mrqasq likes this.