Pelican, Unit Cannon, and Astraeus

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by b8factor, January 24, 2015.

1. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

I am curious if the DROP OFF point of these is meant to be a single point versus having them drop off in the same formation they were picked up in? I would like to see this changed. I think it would help both game play and immersion.

Imagine a transported force being dropped off by pelicans already scattered? The pelicans can pick up scattered units they should be able to drop them off the same way. This will make the aesthetic more realistic as well as add the the tactics of the unit. e.g. spreading out boom bots on the flank of an attacking platoon! (think Starcraft 2 bangling drops)

The same can be said for how the unit cannon lands it units... rather see them scattered over a small landing zone then on a single location. It would allow more so survive as a artillery hits that location killing the entire force on one POP.
    rg138 and tommybananas like this.
  2. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

I agree with this:) would make planing drops more interesting
    also with the unit cannon in the latest pet it now fires the units in a radius now:p I think its 30?
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

austreus and pelican makes sense being pointdrop

as for unitcannon a spreadarea would be desireable
    wilhelmvx likes this.
  4. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

If you have 100 troops in 100 pelicans, why would it make sense for them to all land in 1/100th of the space they occupied when they were picked up? It is unrealistic, potentially adds unnecessary lag as the units auto spread out with their pathing, and gives the opponent unnecessary advantage for 1 missile taking out 100 units.

that is my opinion.
    rg138 and loussdale like this.
  5. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Unit cannon spread area is in the current PTE ;)
    Thought it was 30m from the selected point.

Edit:
    Indeed, there is only a bug that the units don't scatter when you aim at a tree or feature. But it will be fixed on monday Sorian said ;)
    squishypon3 likes this.
  6. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

How big is 30 meters in PA? Can't test it myself until monday :(
  7. Remy561

[​IMG]
    if this still is correct it will be pretty small, like 6 T1 unites next to eachother or 3 commanders.
    But I bet it will be a moddable value and it might be changed before the update gets live ;)
  8. MrTBSC

seriously? ... you missunderstud me that hard? ... ... ok ...
  9. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Not sure if this picture is relevant anymore. Still it beats a solid metal line of pods lol
  10. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

the 30 m spread does appear to be moddable, in the unit_cannon_deploy.json, there is a ground_target_area_spread value
    b8factor likes this.
  11. EternityCoder

EternityCoder New Member

Why not handle this using area commands, allowing the player to select how spread out the units should land? There should also be some small inaccuracy on top of this to deal with the strange appearance of the unit cannon's pinpoint accuracy.
    radongog likes this.
  12. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

If i missed the point I apologize, elaborate?
    rg138 likes this.
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It also depends if the variable is meant to represent a Diameter or a Radius, while either way 30m might be on the small side it can still make a difference, especially when it comes to suggesting larger numbers where the difference is much more pronounced.

Mike
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Do you know what weapon and sight ranges use? (Diameter or radius) as itd stand to reason they'd use the same thing.
  15. MrTBSC

i may have worded it poorly but all i said is just keeping the transports to behave as they allready do ... the thing is they dont spread but land on point and if they are multiple transports they land in a formation but again pretty much on point ... not all toghether at the exact same point ...
  16. Remy561

"30 meter spread around target" so I guess it is radius and a 60m circle in diameter. This does sound like a reasonable value ;)
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Not for sure but I'd assume those are using radius as given that you're always measuring from the unit itself(and that with a proper turret a unit can shoot in 360 degrees) it simply makes more sense to use Radius.

The wording is still far from bulletproof, I'd still prefer it be stated explicitly.

Mike
    squishypon3 likes this.
  18. Remy561

Lets ask @sorian to answer this question then! :)
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  19. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Ranges are specified as a radius. Using diameter would just be stupid.
  20. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Ah the old unit cannon. Gad we gotten that instead of a teleporter, multi planet game play would have been a lot more interesting.

This reminds me: will we ever see a unit cannon that will work as shown off in the kickstarter trailer?