"Particle system don't affect performance that much"

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Mirolog, December 11, 2015.

1. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

I was trying to make a showcase of my mod in it's current state, than I got a dumb idea. Yea.

Fun starts from 1:30

Also I got 20 fps when 1 Helios explodes, and I have a GTX 770. So I think I might need to change some stuff.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

... you .... i like you .... you can stay ....
    @Alpha2546 @dom314 what do you guys think?

lol at the end xD

is this availabble for pamm yet? or do you try tweaking it first?
  3. Mirolog

4. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Heh, well I like it, and I have done the same thing to the poor particle effect system. Just look at Rainbow Heart Nuke, and imagine that thing before I optimised it at all. The effect file used to be about 3MB.
  5. Mirolog

It's like roulette:
    It can be your normal FPS (maybe -10 if effects is big)
    Or just instant crash.

So I think particle system can make no more than [big amount] of particles, more than this - crash.
    dom314 likes this.
  6. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Yeah, I think it also depends on the graphics card maybe. This was a while ago, but I think around 40k particles was a pretty good kill.
  7. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Simply put its having fun with the particle system which in normal use is quite efficient (I think). Long lifetimes and a lot of particles in burst sure can bring it on its knees. The most scary function is the 'linkindex' function since its going to multiply with the amount of main emitters XD. particle count can go up really quickly then.

Performance wise you can make it more efficient by experimenting with different shaders and limiting what kind of data goes through the GPU with the 'dataChannelFormat' function. Other tricks you can use is shortening lifetimes but adding more randomness to it or ofcourse decreasing particle amounts.

Then again. How often is it going to happen that seven Helios are going to explode at the same time :p . Nonetheless good to see some work from you again! :) Cool stuff.
    Nicb1 and dom314 like this.