Pan with W,A,S,D

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Qosmius, June 26, 2013.

1. Qosmius

Qosmius Member

hi, i am a former supcom player and i wanted to spend some money here to help improve this game before it goes live and i hope it will be a very good game at launch and not some failure like supcom 2 was compared to supcom 1

anyways. i am wondering if it is possible to make it so that you can pan around the battlefield with wasd key..currently as i know you have to do that with the arrow buttons or move the mouse to the edge of the screen or zoom in and out alot.

this was also something i was looking for in normal supcom because it was a pain in the ### to zoom in and out all the time because that was the quickest way to move some cm on the map.

are there any feature like this at the moment?

Qos
  2. deso88

deso88 Member

You can pan with the arrow keys right now when you are not in the free camera mode. I wish you could pan with WASD aswell, but we can just change it once free key bindings are in.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think the biggest issue with panning using WASD is how it overlaps with common Hotkeys such as Attack, Stop and such.

Mike
  4. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I want WASD as well! Attack and stop can go some where else, You need to move WAY more than you need those things.
  5. deso88

deso88 Member

I'm using my middle mouse button at the moment which is also fast and works very well for me. I guess everybody has to refine this for himself later on.
  6. paprototype

paprototype Member

I do not think this is very important to discuss.
    Surely all keys will be able to be bound as you please.
    There will likely be mods or key layout templates for stuff like this later on.
  7. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Agreed that keybindings will/ should just be adjustable. Everybody has their own preference or even disabilities.

I actually really like supcoms zoom out to strategic method. Its like leaping around the map. With this feature i always had minimap disabled cuz full screen map was superior.
    A good non-click mode on the zoom wheel is important for this. There are plenty of mice that provide this.
  8. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

totally agree.
    WASD for moving the screen
    or at least make them configurable.

currently, jumping from arrows to group numbers (1,2,3...etc) is a pain.
  9. Qosmius

Qosmius Member

well yes, i guess so to that you will get keybindings. i just brough it up since there was no way of customizing panning in supcom which was very annoying for me..hope they give us that ability here cheers
  10. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

I would also like this, i really don't like using the arrow keys. The chance to rebind as I see fit would be great!
  11. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

I think they already stated key binding is on the to do list.

Certainly though I have found myself using the cursor keys a lot, with subcom mouse zoom was enough but with a planet you need to rotate a lot. Maybe a quick bind preference option could be added to switch between cursor & w,a,s,d.
  12. cursy

cursy New Member

Just wanted to say that WASD for RTS games was due long time ago. Everytime I get a new rts I think "man, why didn't they use WASD". :cool:

I am sure they will do key binding.

But WASD should be standard! ;)