PA wont launch. OpenGL

Discussion in 'Support!' started by wduong, October 26, 2014.

1. wduong

wduong New Member

Hi, my PA wont launch :(

Error as follows:
    "Fatal error: It appears that you graphics drivers and/or hardware are missing critial OpenGL capabilities.
    If this error persists after updating your drivers and confirming that your hardware supports OpenGL 3.2, please contact@uberent.com for additional help.
    Error details: Unable to start graphics system: Could not create GL context: The operation completed successfully."

I have updated my graphics drivers.

Note, I have been able to play the game before in alpha and beta. I am running a laptop with switchable graphics card, and have set PA to high settings/to use my gaming card. Radeon HD 6770M.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

it seems ur Gpu driver is from 2011.
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Actually, it's weirder than what FSN1977 mentioned. The Radeon HD you mentioned doesn't seem to have any drivers according to your DxDiag.txt? But yeah, you should start by updating your Intel drivers using
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23764&lang=eng&ProdId=3319
    It seems to matter even when using just your Radeon HD.

After that, try reinstalling the Radeon drivers from here:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows 7 - 64
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Windows only show drivers for active graphics adapters and with hybrid graphics when player check DxDiag discrete graphics card is usually disabled because not used.
  5. DeathByDenim

Ah, I was wondering about that. I had seen it only once before. Thanks.
  6. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

There is a know issues with AMD Mobility Cards and Driver Support. Apparently the most current isntaller/driver does not bring along the OpenGL component.
    Uninstall the driver and instead install the legacy driver package:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/know-issues.65155/ (Point 2)

Note however that mobility cards in general are rather weak and it is uncertain if you can expect decent framerates from them. Aside from the ChronoCam bug Intel HD Cards are able to run the game suprisingly well.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Man you're misinterpreted what I mean. AMD legacy GPUs (include mobility one) it's only HD 3XXX, HD4XXX and 550v (dumb name that looks like 5XXX while it's 4XXX). Those can only use special legacy driver that is distributed broken out of box on Windows 8+.

So HD5XXX, HD6XXX and newer are not legacy and need most recent AMD drivers.

PS: If you have any questions on information I'm provided feel free to add me to friend on Steam and I'll be happy to clarify anything. :)
  8. wduong

wduong New Member

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the late answer. Been busy. Sorry in advance for the blob of text below.

In the past, I used my AMD "Catalyst Control Center" to set what card to use for which program.
    My drivers should be fully up to date. With notebooks in general, it is recommended to use/update drivers via the notebook provider, so in my case HP-Hewlett Packard. With my HP Support Assistant, it advises it is fully up to date.

Regardless, I went and downloaded the most recent AMD drivers "AMD Catalystâ„¢ Notebook Display Driver" or "Catalyst Control Center (CCC)" if people are familiar with.
    After installing/updating CCC, my desktop max resolution then dropped from 1920x1080 to 1280x1024, and my Mobile Intel Card stopped working. Code31: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
    Also I can't run other games that I usually can. Also I can't open/run CCC.

AMD advises "If you experience difficulty while using the generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, we recommend reverting to the driver provided by your notebook vendor. Please contact your notebook vendor for their most recent graphics drivers.", which is why from past experiences I usually use my HP Support Assistant to keep everything up to date.
    So from there, I've restored it back to my previous driver.

After the restore, I could no longer open my CCC as usual. Odd?

Since my Mobile Intel driver being from 2011, I've went to update it manually as from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23764&lang=eng&ProdId=3319.
    As it was installing, through manually checking from the device manager the driver seem newer, from 2014. After the forced reboot from the installation, and I loaded back to my desktop I had the following error:
    "igfxtray.exe - Entry Point Not Found. The procedure entry point loadSTRINGW could not be located in the dynamic link library hccutils.DLL.".
    From the device manage & DxDiag, the Intel Driver still says its from 2011. I assume it failed to installed properly? I've attached the new DxDiag, as "DxDiag2". Seems the same.

Always get the same error now every time when I boot to desktop. From quick research, seems to be the same issue? where laptop drivers should be updated by the provider. I'm going to system restore again, because the error is annoying.

Note my CCC now works again magically.

So in summary, currently my drivers should be up to date from my HP Support Assistant (HP driver updater), and manually updating my drivers doesn't work. I assume I can't play unless HP update their drivers :(

Attached Files:

9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unfortunately this isn't true in reality. Laptop manufacturers never update drivers and in same time no developer going to test their apps with old one.

Problem you met is pretty normal for laptops with AMD graphics cards because their driver installers are pretty bad, but still in 99% of cases they can be installed and work just fine. Here is my full guide on installation of their drivers:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558749190925676183/

What you need to do it's clean driver re-install:
    1. Remove both drivers & control panels via "Uninstall or change a program".
    2. Now open "Device Manager", check "Display Adapters" and use "Uninstall" on both devices.
    3. Restart laptop.
    4. Now go to "Device Manager" again and check "Display Adapters" again.
    5. Both devices have to be named as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" here.
      If one of them or both still named as Intel/ATI/AMD use "Uninstall" again and restart.
    6. Repeat until you see them as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".
    7. Once drivers removed install latest drivers.
    8. First install Intel driver.
    9. Then AMD one.
    10. Now completely shutdown laptop and start it.
    This will likely make both your graphics cards work just fine.

PS: You might get pretty low resolution or lack of backlight while you doing this, but after last restart this should back to normal.
  10. wduong

wduong New Member

Thanks. Will give it a try and report back.
  11. wduong

wduong New Member

Current sitrep. Almost there.

I've followed the steps for the clean install for the drivers. After step 3, when restarting the laptop, and checking the display adapters they were both "Other Devices - Video Controller (VGA Compatible)", but it starts automatically installing drivers again, and the names Intel & AMD reappear again, regardless have many times I uninstall & restart. I assume the auto-install is due to my HP recovery partition? Not sure if this will make a difference.

Regardless, even with the drivers installed automatically, before I restart, I still installed the newer Intel & AMD drivers as to step 8 & 9.

After the reboot, my AMD drivers seem to be updated now (2014), but not my Intel drivers (still from 2011).

Anyway, tried to launch PA from here. But got error "LoadLibrary failed with error 126". Which is not really an issue, as I have resolved it in the passed (alpha/beta) by assigning my AMD card for PA. However, this time in my CCC, there is no option to do so. It's missing :( Anyone with similar experiences with CCC?

Once I figure this out, I reckon PA should work again.
  12. DeathByDenim

I don't have Windows or HP and I don't know if this information is still relevant or outdated, but I found this on the HP website:
    (source)

Maybe this info will help you stop HP from interfering. Probably not, but who knows. :)
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Depend on Windows configuration it's might be auto-installed, but never see this happening on Windows 7. Possible you can use some advanced utility to driver removal, but I'm not sure which one to use. Also make sure you using "Uninstall" in "Device Manager" and NOT anything else.

You might as well try to remove AMD/Intel drivers again and then re-install them right that without reboot.

You can always install latest Intel drivers from ZIP using this instruction:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558749190911446231/

Basically 126 error it's result of AMD drivers installer bug when clean installation wasn't successful and just represent invalid value in registry that can be fixed by re-install or manually fixed:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/619569341099020251/

You can add me on Steam and I'll guide you how to fix it via "regedit". I'm need to do it once more time to add this information into my guide anyway. :)

PS: Unfortunately as long as your drivers for Intel wasn't updated properly BEFORE install of AMD drivers their installer likely won't setup hybrid graphics properly. So it's really important to make Intel drivers work before installing of Catalyst. :(