PA Stats 1v1 ladder map pool

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by elodea, September 15, 2014.

1. elodea

elodea Post Master General

20/10/2014 Pa Stats Ladder Map Changelog
    • Rebalanced mex for all maps
    • Added new maps Clarke, Faceoff, Capital N, and Dust of Doom (thanks stuart98).
    • Tug of war pathing issues fixed. Both edge spawn options have been changed to now have secondary paths around their respective lava ponds to minimise the effectiveness of contains from the middle spawns
    • Station 3 crevices reworked to minimise possible pathing issues and create more interesting lane gameplay
    • Caledonia reworked to allow more emphasis on naval control and land bombardment type gameplay.
    • Taxman reduced to 2 spawns only, meaning you are now guaranteed that your opponent will spawn on the other island to you.

Map Listing

[​IMG]

Dust of Doom
    Author: Stuart98
    Biome: Desert
    Radius: 550
    Metal Count: 110
    Description: Standard 1v1 desert with more metal than average. One big lake edging on 3 spawn positions might present naval opportunities for players.
    Spawn Count: 4
    [​IMG]

Taxman
    Author: Taxman
    Biome: Lava
    Radius: 600
    Metal Count: 94
    Description: Two islands divided by lava. Heavy focus on air gameplay and some artillery options.
    Spawn Count: 2
    [​IMG]

Tug of War

Author: Elodea
    Radius: 596
    Metal Count: 95
    Description: One straight landmass surrounded by lava. Two edge spawns and two middle spawns. Simple and straightforward to understand, with some opportunities to sneak around and flank your opponent from behind.
    [​IMG]

Cross Back
    Author: The Wrong Cat
    Radius: 500
    Metal Count: 50
    Description: Circular layout provides interesting chokepoint and map control gameplay. Try not to get boxed in!
    [​IMG]

Water World
    Biome: Tropical
    Radius: 650
    Metal Count: 111
    Description: No land in sight and water as far as the eye can see. Get ready for gratuitous amounts of ships and air.
    Spawn Count: 6
    [​IMG]

Dustbowl
    Radius: 520
    Metal Count: 101
    Description: Many interesting chokepoints and zoning possibilities, but can just as readily also descend into an all out brawl
    [​IMG]

HoneyPot
    Biome: Lava, Lava, Ice
    Radius: 450, 450, 700
    Metal Count: 41, 41, 379
    Description: Multi-planet spawn system with two low metal lava planets orbiting one high metal count Ice planet.
    Spawn Count: 4, 4, 0
    [​IMG]

Station 3

Biome: Ice
    Metal Count: 108
    Description: 3 land spawns and one naval spawn make for different gameplay each time. Land spawns operate in a triangle, with some secondary routes between spawns. You could also send special forces dox around through the water to attack from behind your opponents base.
    Spawns: 4
    [​IMG]

Clarke
    Author: CptConundrum
    Radius: 900
    Metal Count: 249
    Description: Super huge planet with some water and a bunch of lanes for land movement. No-one really knows how to play these big maps properly yet so have fun!
    Spawn Count: 6
    [​IMG]

Systeem X
    Author: Mot
    Biome: Moon
    Radius: 500
    Metal Count: 66
    Description: Classic fast paced moon gameplay. Fights will usually always be very scrappy
    [​IMG]

Capital N
    Author: Mot
    Biome: Metal
    Metal Count: 72
    Description: Because the spawns are on opposite sides of the equator, this map tends to feel much larger than it actually is. Capital N plays slower and much more macro paced than your standard moon. Also has alot of interesting movement options and bridge chokepoints.
    Spawn Count: 2
    [​IMG]

Faceoff
    Biome: Metal, Metal, Moon
    Radius: 500, 500, 270
    Metal Count: 109, 109, 0
    Description: This is the multi-planet spawn orbital version of Capital N. As per popular request, you can annihilaser race, compete for the 3rd halleyable moon to destroy your opponents laser controls, or just plain out invade from orbit and ignore the super weapons all together.
    Spawn Count: 2, 2, 0
    [​IMG]

Caledonia
    Author: [RLM]Max
    Biome: Earth
    Radius: 596
    Metal Count: 93
    Description: Earthlike planet with alot of water and water metal. Some interesting land movement options as well if you want to ignore all that. All spawns are vulnerable to naval bombardment to some degree however.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: October 21, 2014
    Jaedrik, K1S3L, naginacz and 17 others like this.
  2. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

nice work man, now to test them to death!
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Oh really? I didn't know of this plan so far :D
  4. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Is Dustbowl as good to play on as it looks on those pictures because it may be the best of them all.
  5. elodea

It's up to you boss :). I just assumed it might be better to keep the map pool tight for a while so people can develop strategies etc. Instead of having a flood of maps that end up not being very unique from each other. *I'm not gonna say no to good new maps though!

You can have close spawns and it'll become a brawl. Or you can have further spawns and the chokes/crevices make it a map zoning game. It's interesting I think.

With the current maps, I've tried to make it so that scouting your opponents spawn will most often than not change the way you approach the game.
    Last edited: September 15, 2014
    argibargi91, shootall and mot9001 like this.
  6. cola_colin

Me neither, but experience shows that people are notoriously good at telling me how bad certain maps are, but horrible at suggesting replacements.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Look awesome, thanks to you for your work on putting this pack together (and the people who made them initially). Hopefully we can drop one of those lava maps at some point and replace it with something else to improve the biome diversity. I'd also like to see a bit more diversity in size, a planet which covers the small and one which covers the big.

Not that I have such suggestions to hand, but I'll be sure to keep my eye open :)
    elodea likes this.
  8. cola_colin

Oh @Quitch perfect... you may want to link this thread in the guide on exodus esports :)

Also I just wondered why is there not a single metal planet? Is pathfinding on them still that bad?
    reptarking and cptconundrum like this.
  9. Quitch

AFAIK the pathfinding on metal is as good as anywhere else now.

As soon as I've tried the veto system I'll update the guide. I want to make sure I understand the flow so I can describe it properly.
    elodea and cola_colin like this.
  10. cola_colin

What I had in mind is that people notice that they now can click the MAPS part in the multiplayer header and then can check once map to have it on veto.
  11. elodea

How small and big are we talking? ~400 to ~1000? I was probably overly conservative with the planet sizes - wasn't sure if bigger and smaller planets made for properly interesting gameplay.
  12. Quitch

Thinking about it, it would be better to mirror this breakdown on the PA Stats site, that way I can link to a single area that will be updated, rather than needing to keep updating the guide. Otherwise there's the risk it may fall out-of-date.
  13. Quitch

I would say 300/350 - 900. 900 may prove too large anyway, but worth trying out I think, and likewise 300/350 may be too small considering the fact the early game already encourages rushes, on the other hand pushing the commanders closer together may change the early game in interesting ways.
  14. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

Some of the old pa stats maps were around size 700 and were fun to play with until the metal spawns got fubared by one of the patches.
  15. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Why you cut off half of the gameplay by having 1v1 matches on a single planet? Every 1v1 should be in a system of at least 1 planet and 1 moon.
  16. cola_colin

pastats.com itself isn't really suited to contain constantly updated materials I am afraid. Updating a thread like this is much easier and the possible markup is easier to handle as well.
  17. klovian

klovian Member

This is a personal request. The honeypot system had an awesome 1v1 map experience. Played 2 epic games there on the lava planet. I think both of the lava planets are the same seed if I am correct.

If you could share that lava planet, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it would seem that it is the only planet needed, since the game play is orbital and not lava EPICness other wise.

Thanks in advance.
  18. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

INB4 everyone vetos the water planet :p I honestly think that naval is too "broken" right now to play competitively, but hopefully Uber notices soon. Scouts that have less vision radius than the other boats? 450 metal boat having worse AA than the 150 metal Spinner? Eeeeesh. I'll be making a thread ranting about all that soon, so won't go too off topic here. Looking forward to playing some of the other systems! :)
    websterx01 likes this.
  19. cola_colin

You can view the system editor with it's new tab for PA Stats maps now and do whatever you want there :)
    Not to mention that pastats.com shows things like the seed anyway ;)
  20. elodea

The thing with 1v1's on single planets is that they hardly ever leave the main planet. If a moon was to be included on single spawn systems, it would encourage new players to learn 'bad habits' when it comes to 'winning' and getting better. Maybe when we get larger single planet spawns we'll start adding the additional moon.

@burntcustard
    I thought the same and was testing it quite alot as a result. It turned out to actually be surprisingly decent - air spam only is not exactly viable and the map is large enough for commander ramboing to not be an issue before you can get enough destroyers to make that a dumb thing to do.

@klovian
    You can find the maps in the PA stats 1v1 map pool tab in the system designer. Load it up, add a moon, remove the moon, and then you should be able to save it locally after that!