PA Replay and Spectating tech

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, April 19, 2013.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Last fall I posted in some threads about the tech we are developing. Today you guys got to see the result of a lot of R&D being applied to server replication and live replays. This thread is to discuss the tech and it's possible implications for the game.

The basic idea is that the output of the sim is recorded into a database as a series of curves over time. The client then tells the server which subset of space and time that it wants to see and also in what direction. The history server then sends the player the subset of information that represents what they are asking for. All the client does is sample this data at time 't' see that you can see the current state.

For the most part things like animations, fx and rendering are completely done on the client. This does present some unique challenges that have been interesting to work on.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I was impressed. I've never seen anything like that before Neutrino... and if you're supporting previous versions of PA all the way back to v1.0... that will be a first.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

As Expected of Uber, Totally blowing away expectations, when you're done with this it'll stand head and shoulders above any competitor!

Is Resuming from a Replay still part of all this? Seems like it should be...

Mike
  4. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Honestly while i am not tech savvy i have looked into the issues with replays, and what you came up with is actually kinda revolutionary.

It essentially makes replays a fluid action, rather than a solid record and play, the implications for Esports are pretty huge.
  5. syox

syox Member

Real graphs? Interpolated? Polynomial?
  6. neutrino

Yes, that's the plan. The basic idea is that we inject the state for the replay back into the system and then say "go". That part is not implemented yet but we've thought through most of it.
  7. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

Amazing uber. Revolutionary thumbs up. Just as revolutionary as strategic zoom for me.
  8. neutrino

Linear but there is room to get fancier as we go. The curv rep is also complicated by the need to cull in space/time.
  9. veta

veta Active Member

The replay system is really impressive.
  10. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

The first thing that I thought when you showed off the live replay feature was "No way! These guys are making Achron!"
  11. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

But can we do that with previous versions aswell? How can the client get the data from previous versions to play the replays of them?
  12. syox

syox Member

Sounds realy weird. But you already proved it working. Good job thumps up.

Afaik i can say from my math study using quadratic equations for handwriting interpolation, worked wonders over linearic. Especially after failure approximation. But that was all graphical.

When you are done with PA i would love to read some papers about it.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So, my question again: How much data do you need to store to be able to display a replay?
  14. soldans

soldans Member

Crosspost, sorry, but this thread is more suited for the question.

Will you be able to have one of your secondary windows showing a replay while playing in real time in your other window(s)?
  15. bobucles

What happens if a Peewee goes back and kills its own factory before it gets built?

What's going to stop a player from going putting like a hundred tanks at the enemy's spawn point and killing him before he even starts the game?
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think you are mixing up PA with Achron. In PA you might be able to view the past, but you wont be able to change it. At least I hope that's how it is. xD
  17. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

You can view what happened in the past, not change it. You may be able to start a game from an arbitrary point in a replay though, but that would be mainly for single player games. Imagine your save game is an entire game replay; loose the battle and you can choose to start the game again from any point in time.*

(This is still hypothetical, but what we're working towards.)
  18. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

-
    Last edited: April 19, 2013
  19. asgo

asgo Member

time travel would be really revolutionary. ;)
    But I suppose handling different timelines simultaneous might get a bit confusing ... and determining a winner or even an end temporally speaking would be a real challenge. :)
  20. bobucles

These two statements conflict. If you can view and resume a game from any arbitrary time, you can totally alter the time stream. But the ramifications are complex enough to demand its own game!

The current replay system definitely looks like it could support an Achron 2.