PA reliably crashing lategame?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by temeter, August 9, 2014.

1. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Edit: Nevermind, atm it's probable the issue was reaching the RAM-limit.

Hello!
    I've played some games against a single AI until now, and they crashed everytime when they reached a certain size. There have been a couple hundred units for me and more for the enemy, as well as a lot of buildings. Map size didn't seem to make much of a difference, the last time it happened in a game with 1x 600 radius and 4x 200 radius. Same result as a 1.2k planet and some moons.

Usually the game is already slowed down and bigger army movements cause the game to lag (stutter) a bit from time to time. Still perfectly playable, though. Then every game just crashes at some point. Any clue why that happens, or is it maybe even a common issue?

On the technical side: Happens with 2GB free RAM, graphics drivers are up to date, CPU is good, no notable background processes, other games don't have these issues. Please tell if and what kind of more precise info's i should post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 10, 2014
  2. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Please post a Dxdiag on the forums. It would be helpful to know your system specs.
    temeter and Shwyx like this.
  3. temeter

Right, i had already saved a dxdiag.txt and forgot to put it in my post. :rolleyes:

Done.
    Last edited: August 9, 2014
  4. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Okay, I checked the Dxdiag and I don't see anything suspicious for the most part. Your graphics drivers are up to date, you have a 64 bit OS, and you have plenty of VRAM (2GB). However, I think the issue is with your RAM and your sound card drivers:

Code:
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6064MB RAM

Description: Lautsprecher (Creative SB X-Fi)
    Date and Size: 8/22/2011 19:25:50, 687192 bytes
    I played on systems with even more planets that were larger and I never had any crashing or lagging issues. Your system may be hitting the RAM limit, which may be causing lag on your machine.

I think the crashing issues are being triggered by the out-of-date sound card drivers, but I'll have @SXX come and check out your system to see what problems exist.
    temeter likes this.
  5. temeter

First, thank you for taking a look through all that stuff.

I was suspecting the RAM myself, but it also happened on smaller systems which just took 2 to 3 GB (not counting UI) during the game and without any notable background-stuff (including no running browser).

My sound drivers are modded versions of the Creative X-Fi drivers. So they might be a bit outdated, although i thought it was newer than 2011. Creative never fully updated the X-Fi drivers for Windows 7, which is pretty much a **** move to bring people to buy their new stuff.
    Atm it's the daniel_K drivers. They aren't getting updated anymore, but I might try the PAX-drivers.

I never had issues with the drivers until now, but it certainly might be a weird software incompatibility. Is there some crash-log PA drops when crashing?
    Last edited: August 9, 2014
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

By crashing what happens? If you crash to desktop that's a problem your end, if it throws you out to lobby that's probably a server bug...
  7. temeter

Yeah, i tried another game and constantly checked ram-usage, and it might just be the ram limit. I managed to get my PC to 5.5gb ram occupation on a single radius 700 planet (+1k units on my side). Strangely enough the RAM usage increased faster at the beginning, while 500 more units only cost around 100mb more. Might be a windows-thing, though. The indicator of the task manager is a bit weird and missing some stuff.

The CTD was strange, since i didn't experience lag because of ram consumption in most of my games (outside nuke/com explosion/planet smash). Normally this kind of crash even freezes the pc for a few second. PA just instantly went down.

Well, i'm planning to upgrade the RAM anyway. That might solve the problem, otherwise i'll make a new post in this thread.
    Sorry if i really was searching for nonexistant problems.:rolleyes:
    kjotak109 likes this.