PA refuses to launch

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Nicb1, October 22, 2015.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Hey guys whilst attempting to launch PA today I ran across quite a big problem that I've never had before.

I don't have many details, but when you click play in pa launcher or launch pa in pamm the window closes, i get a load wheel for a second and then nothing happens. Even directly through the exe pa refuses to launch.

Sorry for the lack of information but I am hoping that one of you could help me out nonetheless.

My system is windows 10 based and this happened as of the most recent patch.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit:
    Yes I have disabled all mods.
    Last edited: October 22, 2015
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Try opening the command prompt and launch PA from there. It may spit back an error at you then.
  3. Nicb1

Just tried that, no error still :(
  4. DeathByDenim

Weird. Can you try disabling the virus scanners? Maybe that is preventing it from even starting up. Also try hitting [VERIFY] a couple of times in the UberLauncher in case of file corruption.
  5. Nicb1

Just attempted to disable avast now and still didn't launch. Also tried verify a few times, didn't really do anything either.

I really wish there was more info I could provide.
  6. DeathByDenim

Yeah, it's kind of like stabbing in the dark right now. You can still try the clean boot method in case it's some other program preventing it from starting. Instructions are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/

Another thing you can try is the SFC tool which scans for corrupted system files. Instructions for that are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Or even try installing in a new spot using the alternative launcher.
  7. Nicb1

Yeah backing up my files currently and about to redownload PA. I'll give your launcher a try.
  8. Nicb1

Reinstalling has done nothing, I am still getting the same issue as before. Is there anyone from Uber that I should tag for assistance?

Also just a note your custom launcher and avast deepscan do not seem to agree with eachother, got this when I tried to close the launcher when it was frozen. (May be an avast issue, but nontheless offtopic).
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Tried deleting Local Data and still not working.

EDIT2:

Funny thing PA works through the Steam version (which I just installed) but not the Uber Launcher. So not sure whats up with this.
    Last edited: October 23, 2015
  9. DeathByDenim

Blue screens are drivers or bad hardware. The aswSnx.sys file belongs to Avast, so that one is causing your blue screens. (Either that or something like bad RAM). If you search for aswSnx.sys and blue screen you'll get a whole lot of hits. Scary!

I would just try completely uninstalling Avast, not just disabling it. Then reboot and see if you still have trouble. I strongly suspect Avast is to blame.

I don't know who to tag anymore after the layoffs... :(
  10. sauron25

sauron25 New Member

I have same problem as you, i think its connected with new update. Couple days ago the game was working perfectly and now after recent game update its not working for me. Pressing "PLAY" in launcher, and nothing happens. Today i reinstalled the game from my disc and and it launched normally, then i updated it to newest version and its not working anymore. I tried everything: uninstalling anti-virus software, updating Directx and graphic card drivers, closing unnecessary programs but nothing helps. Im nearly 100% sure its something with new update which was released recently. Any ideas?
    Nicb1 likes this.
  11. DeathByDenim

Can both of you go to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log" (copy-paste that in the address bar of Explorer)? Delete all of the log files there, then try to start PA through the launcher or manually. Does it try to write a log file at least? If so, post it.

@sauron25 : Did you also have Avast?
    sauron25 likes this.
  12. Nicb1

Thanks for posting, at least we know the issue isn't isolated now.

Deathbydenim I doubt its avast causing this issue the only reason I got the bluescreen before was because avast attempted to deepscan your launcher and things mucked up there. Also I have completely disabled it with no diff in the pa not booting situation.

As I said before its odd how the steam version works fine but the Uber launcher vers does not. So that tells me that its not driver related.
    sauron25 likes this.
  13. sauron25

sauron25 New Member

Strange thing, i tried to start the game with x86 EXE and its working now. I have 64 bit operating system so i should be able to start the game with x64 exe file. Also i cant use local server cause game is telling me that i need 64 bit operating system(i have 64 bit xD).

I uploaded my log file(it was created when i started the game in x86 folder, when im trying to start the game by the launcher or by x64 exe file nothing happens - the game is not starting and not creating any logs). Also i uploaded my dxdiag log, maybe it will be useful.

P.S Im not using avast, i have norton 360 - i switched it off completely but game is still not working.

Attached Files:

14. Nicb1

I just tested this on my end as well, and the x86/32bit version works fine for me as well, but not the x64.

Attached my latest dxdiag for reference as well.

Attached Files:

sauron25 likes this.
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ok here's a thought....

Have you tried running the x64 executable as administrator? Secondly, have you tried using compatibility options on it?
  16. Nicb1

Already tried both with no success unfortunately.

And just for the sake of it @jables would any of you Uber guys be able to look into this. This issue only came about with the latest patch and only applies to the Uber Launcher version of the game.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm assuming you tried deathbydenim's suggestion of a clean boot?
  18. sauron25

sauron25 New Member

On clean boot game is still not working :/ also i tried all compatibility modes and still not running.
  19. DeathByDenim

Well, that's really weird because the Steam PA.exe and the UberLauncher PA.exe are exactly the same, bit-by-bit... The only thing that could be different is the libraries that it picks up. @nicb1 , can you try launching the PA.exe from the Steam folder? It probably will do the same thing as the UberLauncher one.

If it does, can you try running Dependency Walker on the PA.exe and see if it is maybe looking for non-existent libraries?
    http://www.dependencywalker.com/
  20. sauron25

sauron25 New Member

Now it will be more weird, i just tried to launch the game normally by the launcher and guess what. Its working perfectly now. Maybe they released some small update or something - i dont know cause when game was verifying files i was AFK(maybe launcher downloaded something) anyway after that game finally launched and is working normally.

@nicb1
    Try to start it normally by the launcher, "VERIFY" your game files before starting and i hope it will work for you :)