PA OST in loseless

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by bellum45, June 6, 2014.

1. bellum45

bellum45 New Member

Is it possible to get the PA soundtrack in a loseless format e.g. in flac.

That would be great listen to the music as Howard Mostrom and the orchester has it created.
  2. orlyno

orlyno New Member

You can change it on the Bandcamp download page for the OST.
    When FLAC is selected, it should say

Download Planetary Annihilation (Original Soundtrack)
    format: FLAC 26 tracks, 16 bonus items, size: 411.2MB

To change to FLAC, simply click on the downarrow behind MP3, and you'll get a list of different formats :)

Screenshot 2014-06-06 11.07.52.png
  3. bellum45

bellum45 New Member

thank you orlyno
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I'm not very audio-savvy, "loseless"?
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

"Lossless" is in reference to the way a digital audio file is stored.
    A lossless format is one which can reproduce the original input with no difference, so no loss of data, hence lossless.
    The most common audio format today .mp3, is a lossy compression format. It can take a very large audio file and compress it to a much smaller size by throwing away and slightly modifying the original signal.
    FLAC is also a compressed format, but does so without any loss of information. It also doesn't make the file as small.

For the first track in the PA OST, the source file is a 41 meg .wav file.
    The FLAC file is going to be about half the size, ~20 megs.
    The MP3 file is going to be between 1/4th the size and 1/10th the size depending on the compression level (and how much information it's allowed to throw away). I think iTunes and Bandcamp are 192kbps .mp3 files, so that'd produce around a 5-6 meg file.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I should have downloaded as a .wav or a flac. I like wav files myself.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I had a poke through Star Citizen's files and found the music. A 4:19 piece of music is 47.6 megabytes at 1536kbps :confused:. Sounds awesome though, any chance of getting the ultra-mega-uncompressed version of PA? I don't remember seeing .wav when I downloaded it.
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

FLAC is the lossless version, which means that if you really want WAV, you can convert the FLAC back to WAV without loss of information if you really want. As @bgolus said: "A lossless format is one which can reproduce the original input with no difference, so no loss of data, hence lossless.".

Of course, you'll just end up with a file that's roughly twice the size as the FLAC file, so there is little point other than for compatibility reasons.
    lokiCML, PeggleFrank and burntcustard like this.
  9. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

It would be simple to just release a lossless soundtrack as wave. Lossless codecs like Ogg Flac, DTS, Monkey Audio don't compress the file that much thats why its lossless.
  10. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Say we downloaded it in .mp3, could we possibly have access to the .flac? I would've rather downloaded .flac and converted it to .mp3 if I payed attention.
  11. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

Redownload it.

Even if you didn't sign in when you used your code, bandcamp will let you use it again. I'm not sure what sort of verification they have to protect against one code being used for multiple computers (perhaps IP/mac address checking), but you can use the code as many times as you like.
    Last edited: June 9, 2014
    websterx01 likes this.