PA Launcher Failing to install game

Discussion in 'Support!' started by dgagnon99, May 5, 2018.

1. dgagnon99

dgagnon99 New Member

I am no longer able to update or reinstall PA (not the Steam version as I prefer stand-alone). I have attempted to uninstall, re-start, disabled AV, run the launcher as admin, clear the cache before re-attempting, but to no avail. I have the latest patches for Windows, NVidia video card. I have also attempted to install on different HDs (3) on the same computer. To validate that it was only this PC, I installed PA on my laptop (I7, 16MB, 770GTX) without a glitch.

I have inserted the DXDIAG, Launcher log and the Event Log related to this incident. I tried to change the local store, but I get an "invalid command line" when I tried --localstorageurl=localstore2 at the end of the file path.

I am at a lost as I have installed numerous other games on the same HD/PC without encountering this type of problem.

Attached Files:

2. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

The launcher for stand alone was recently updated - https://store.uberent.com/Download/Install?titleId=4
  3. dgagnon99

dgagnon99 New Member

@lulamea,

Thanks for trying. I downloaded it and gave it another try with the same results :(

(Disabled AV and no mod)

Attached Files:

4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It's weird. According to the log it's just happily starts downloading the files and then the log just stops. Do any files appear in H:\Games\Planetary Annihilation\cache ?

You might want to consider an alternative installer. Even if only to see if it can give you helpful error messages.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/alternative-pa-launcher.68233/
  5. dgagnon99

dgagnon99 New Member

I watched it starting to download in the cache, then PALauncher freeze (in average around 190 to 250Mb into the download). The download might continue for a while (I am assuming because of my PC Memory size) to eventually stop. It is then that I will received the error message that PALauncher has crashed.

Like you, I am at a lost as to what might cause it. I will give a try to the alternate launcher.
  6. dgagnon99

dgagnon99 New Member

Now I am confused. The alternate installer worked (minor OpenGL issue easy to resolved) with no problem. I am finally able to access the game after weeks of frustration. I still don't understand why the original launcher failed on a regular basis.
  7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Strange indeed. The alternative installer is supposed to do the same thing as the official installer. Anyway, I'm happy that that worked for you.

By the way, what was the minor OpenGL issue you resolved?
  8. dgagnon99

dgagnon99 New Member

I had to re-install the latest version of my drivers for my GTX 980 Ti. They somehow got reverted to a previous version without the OpenGL activated (my assumption). Once re-installed the game ran as expected.