PA is NOT a reloaded TA/SC

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by seggface, August 22, 2012.

1. seggface

seggface New Member

Nowadays RTS games are going to starve into web browsers with f2p model. In these dark days Uber showed us a concept video about a vision. A vision which can redefine the RTS genre, besides so simple and natural. Adding a third degree of freedom in a destroyable solar system can easily outshine anything on the horizon of RTS games.

To be a fan of the TA franchise is a gift and a burden too.

• It's a gift because you have the experience, thoughts and passion about a very unique game, which had revolutionary ideas about RTS gaming 15 years ago. That's everything the dev team can hope for when making a game so grandiose (at least in map size, and unit count).

• It's a burden, because it's hard to escape from that box, to think about something completely new, and not wanting stg in a new form that was before, even it's polished up.

I saw the K.I.S.S. principle too in that video, the principle which made Starcraft and Counter Strike eSports game. Anybody, anytime can play these straightforward games. They are about how smart you are, how well you play, not how well you know/handle the game. First you are a noob, but you can PLAY, and you are getting better with time through playing and learning from each other. Memorizing 50 units, shortcuts, game mechanic stuff is not fun.

• In my opinion TA/SC is everything but simple. Adding the planetary thing to TA and it's going to be a top-heavy nightmare. We have to leave behind TA, dissect it, and use only the best of it, keeping in mind, that we are going to play in a new playground.

• Think about that principle when you make suggestions, so you can help to make a complex game which is not complicated. Yes, a complex, player-centric game, but not a lightweight Starcraft clone :D.

Another topic is the development time and money. Don't throw overwhelming demands in your excitement on the dev team, only reading the ocean of ideas can drown them. This is not a studio game, a one hit wonder, this can be a long shot stuff. Work this out right, and it's going to be maintainable on a long term. Maybe with some restriction, it can be an eSport game too.

When i think about PA, i think about CS 1.6, what it was able to achieve in FPS genre. I played Quake/Unreal/CoD/BF, but CS 1.6 is severe.

Somethings:
    • -No single player/campaign. Total meaningless in this game. Starcraft 1 has a good story imo, but it wans't a popular eSport game for years for it's story...
    • -One faction
    • -relatively few units, but more than Starcraft of course :D
    • -divide units based on purpose not on tech level (not again 3 level of same type tank...)
    • -with these 3, easy to balance the game, to maintain, to get use to it, and very easy to expand it later.

• -No (big) change in graphic/art style. It's already clean, simple and very unique. Do you want to see a unit designed for weeks? No heavy texturing, polygon count. //Every player can "customize" their army i.e. with 1 base color, 1 detail color, 1 pattern, stg. like Mass Effect //
    • -Do you need naval units on a lava/desert/arctic planet ???
    • -air units~limited range "space" units (air units on Mars, Mercur??...)
    • -automate transport ships/rockets, space stations, but no spaceships. You can't control a space battle, and the camera handling going to be terrible, to fit for space and ground fights

• -able to nuke the planet inside out: there are a lot of matter of time situations, when the enemy can sit down on the resources, build defense, and attack you. When he has the resources, you can't go to asteroids, he will come with better forces there too. But when you dig in, and want to nuke the planet, to balance the game again, he has to come out, make stg out. Even if you can send an asteroid, he can beat it, but when you nuke his home, he has to be aware of this first, than beat you, in that moment.

Just an illiterate European :D.