Pa crashes

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Alpha2546, June 12, 2015.

1. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

So got a new computer and pa works really smooth. There is however one issue.

My PA crashes each and everytime when I surrender a game and click the go to main menu button. Ran with nomods. Removed my whole steam pa folder and reinstalled it. it didnt worked. Any ideas?

[21:17:58.672] INFO Crash uploaded, link developer to http://crashes.uberent.com/report/index/bp-1d974a4d-4625-4f4f-9a43-bfb912150612
    [21:17:58.672] INFO Previous crashes stored in C:\Users\Adriaan\AppData\Local\Temp\checkpoint.cpk

Added dxdiag

Attached Files:

Last edited: June 12, 2015
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The crash points to somewhere in a graphical routine, so that would point to graphics drivers. Yours are already the latest version, but they are beta drivers though, so could you try it with AMD's stable drivers as well?

You also seem to have crashes in explorer.exe and notepad++.exe, which is kind of odd. So you may also want to try scanning your system files for corruption, even if it is a new computer. Try the sfc tool that's built into Windows. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Finally, there is also the list of software that's known to interfere with PA, which can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558751813508748383/

You may actually want to try these suggestions in reverse order as they then go from simple to harder.
    n00n and mkrater like this.
  3. Alpha2546

Good ideas. I was doubting about the beta drivers too. I'll try the stable ones. Thank you for the sfc tool too never knew about it.

I'll let you know
  4. Alpha2546

Have been fiddling more and more.
    Switched over to the stable drivers. Unfortunately It didn't do much.
    Tried the scannow commandline too. Didn't found any errors. Scanned all my drives for errors but didn't found any.

Checked the logs and indeed had some errors. Apparently one disk is dying on me as i'm getting an IO writing attempts everytime when I boot up. I can hear it ticking now from time to time too.

Also I'm getting this information thingy about the UMDF reflector not kicking in which is part of the driverframeworks service. It'll startup after the second attempt though.

Going to move the steam stuff to a different hard drive. Maybe it does something.
  5. DeathByDenim

That doesn't sound good. You might want to replace that one soon. I hope that's not your Windows drive. You can also download bootable isos from the hd manufacturer's website to do a lower level scan of the hard drive, which will tell you if it's dying.
  6. Alpha2546

So just to give an update.

Pulled out the bad drive and installed pa on a different one. (windows one was/is fine). Unfortunately it still crashes whenever I click the go to main menu option whenever I'm ingame.

Also tried the palauncher instead of the steam one. Same issue.

Or there is something wrong with the windows installment or it chokes on some kind of driver. I might put in a SSD and reinstall windows on it (somewhere in the future). I just find it so weird that the game plays completely fine but whenever I click the go to main menu button PA dies.

Oh well those are the most annoying problems :p .
  7. Alpha2546

Okay so I have been playing with my settings and PA crashes when I have the headlight setting on Uber. If I set it on medium it won't crash. All the other settings can be set at its max without crashing.
    ReddWolff likes this.
  8. DeathByDenim

Odd. Good thing that that setting doesn't affect the graphics much.

It's probably got something to do with the drivers still. If it still bugs you, you may try to completely uninstall your current drivers first, then reboot and install. You can take it even further by completely removing any traces of the AMD drivers by following this tutorial.

Of course, if you are happy with just medium headlights, then just keep everything as it is now and not risk making things worse. :)
  9. Alpha2546

Hmm could be something with the beta driver leaving some files somewhere that creates the crash. Not going to mess around with it since I can perfectly live with medium headlights. I do give this thread an update as soon as I reinstalled me computer again.

Thanks for your tip about the graphical driver issue. It made me try changing the graphic settings!
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  10. Alpha2546

So I said I'd give this update a thread after i reinstalled it.

Put in an SSD reinstalled my computer also changed the gpu from a HD7850 to a r9 270 and guess what, it still crashes whenever I put my headlights on uber lol. Is this specific to me?
  11. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

AFAIK the headlight setting does not only influence the head lights but changes the quality of all point lights and/or particle effects.
    Do you have any mods active that mess around with those?
  12. ReddWolff

ReddWolff Member

Thanks for the info, I have been having the same problem and this has fixed it. I have an AMD HD 7870 video card and have the latest drivers installed. I haven't been using beta drivers and I've tried it with and without mods.
  13. Alpha2546

I always test my stuff with and without mods (still thanks for reminding though). In this specific case it doesn't matter. It probably has something to do with windows 8.1 64 bit and AMD GPU driver. Pa does something that creates these crashes on that setup. Reinstalled it twice and I got twice the same issue. First one I tried beta drivers and now I'm running the non beta drivers. Same behaviour and that is on a clean windows 8.1 64 bit install.

What kinda cpu and and MB do you have out of curiousity? Is it an I5 4690K and an asus motherboard? Glad it helped you out though!
  14. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Oh, okay.
    So from the crash report we know that this is a write to an write protected mapping region somewhere in the lightning system of PA. The shaders used indicate that they are using texture buffer objects and persistent mapping for light instancing.
    If you are really curious you can disable those features and see if PA still crashes. The following command lines should do the trick:
    Code:
    PA.exe --gl-force-disable-capabilities "Advanced instancing"
    PA.exe --gl-force-disable-capabilities "Persistent buffer mapping"

The first will disable instancing, the second persistent mapping. You can check in the PA logs if it worked or not, since there is a line about it:
    Code:
    [13:10:53.062] INFO Vendor flag set to Intel.
    [13:10:53.062] INFO Supported rasterizer capabilities: Ranged mapping, Advanced shaders, Persistent buffer mapping
    [13:10:53.062] INFO Unsupported rasterizer capabilities: Gamma correct pipeline, Advanced instancing, Compute shaders
    [13:10:53.062] INFO Buffer textures enabled.

Just be aware that this isn't a solution, I don't know if this really works beside the output from the log, and if it works I expect that the performance will decrease noticeable when disabling those features. But it may give @bgolus or whoever works on the engine a hint where to look for this.
  15. ReddWolff

ReddWolff Member

Yes it is an Asus motherboard, Asus Maximus V Gene with an I7 3770K CPU.