PA Crash on Win 10. Memory leak?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Teth, August 18, 2015.

1. Teth

Teth New Member

Hi,

Got the mail today that there was an expansion. Rushed into PA and fired up a custom game with a friend vs AI to explore.

About 4-5 mins into the game it locked up, not responding, eventually got the windows prompt to kill it so did so and reloaded.

Tried to reconnect a few times with same result. "Not responding" after generating planets and hitting the "un pause" prompt.

Opened task manager, detailed view reloaded while watching.

Just as the UI finishes loading and the "generating planets" banner does 1 frame of fading out the PA process starts to grow rapidly in size from 2.2GB to 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 GB reaching around 9 when windows kills it.
  2. demonichell

demonichell New Member

Probably not a win 10 problem, I'm using windows 10 and I'm not having any issues atm.
  3. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Same problem here with Win10... my guess would also be a memory problem. Game works fine for 10-15 min then it freezes, HDD suddenly starts work like crazy... then everything freezes, even mousecursor...
  4. lerun

lerun Member

Have same problems also, after awhile the game just freezes and I have to forcefully close it.

Seems Win 10 and Titans do not play well together.
  5. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

6. datamachine

datamachine New Member

This issue is not a Win10 specific problem. My brother and I both have Win7 and have experienced the same type of game behavior. The last game crash caused a complete system lockup and I had to hard reset.
  7. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Hmmm, I don't think it's very easy to have a memory leak appearing, but only for some people. I think what is more likely here is that a driver may be responsible for leaking memory.

In other words, could both of you perhaps post a bit more about your hardware? If there is a common element or not, we could at least rule this out.
  8. datamachine

datamachine New Member

My specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.0Ghz
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    16GB DDR3 Memory
    GTX 970 Res @1920x1080
    Creative X-Fi

My Brothers specs:

Motherboard and Cpu are the same as above but without the overclock.
    Pretty sure he has a GTX 570 @1920x1080
    8GB DDR3 Memory
    Onboard Audio
  9. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I have the same problem during reconnects. No real problems for crashes, but tons for reconnects.
    DXDIAG attached.

Attached Files:

10. Teth

Teth New Member

I played another couple of games last night one through to completion without incident, one that crashed almost immediately and one that got quite large and orbital before crashing.

I think I spotted a pattern. In both cases of the crash, just before the UI became unresponsive and the memory use started climbing I had set a patrol path using a few shift clicks followed by an area command.

I should also add that once crashed I cannot reconnect to the same game I connect but the bug happens immediately and I crash again, but I can start a new multiplayer game or AI skirmish.

And to answer the person above that a memory leak cannot affect only a portion of users is totally false. The leak can be in a seldom used routine called only under specific circumstances. Modern compilers are pretty good spotting unsafely written routines but not perfect.

Attached Files:

11. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Am also getting crashes, what info do you need to take a look into it, beloved developers?
  12. nicolais

nicolais New Member

My PA:T is also crashing all the time now.

I started a GW and played like 20 some matches before PA.exe started crashing. It crashes every time I win a battle and is about to go to the GW map.

Luckily the game is auto saved just before the crash, so I can resume after loading the game again.

I tried with and without Steam, but same error.

I have no plugins intalled, and this particular Windows user never loaded PA:1 (original PA).

I have not monitored memory consumption yet, but I will try now.

Please let me know if any of you find a fix! Thanks :)

PS: I also updated nVidia drivers to latest from nVidia and not just the driver Windows (10) comes with.
  13. nicolais

nicolais New Member

FIXED!

"Small" update from me... at least it works for me again!

Someone suggested disabling "Uber headlights" and just set it to "Medium" or "Off".

I set it to "Medium" and PA.exe does not crash on me anylonger! Fantastic :D

I hope this can help others...
  14. hurricnzj

hurricnzj New Member

I can kind of confirm this is a Windows 10 problem, 2 days ago I upgraded windows 7 to windows 10,
    When that was all done and set I fires up PA:Titans and the first problem was a UI crash, repeatedly.
    next day I had game crashes occur and sends me to a page with the error code: parsley (http://support.uberent.com/kb/faq.php?id=24). before when I was on Windows 7 everything was fine.

EDIT: It heapend both to PA and PA:Titans

I sent a mail to Uberent support and still waiting for a reply. I hope to get on at Monday. I will keep updating this if you guys like
  15. jesperrisager

jesperrisager New Member

I am using windows 7.

I got an out of memory exception whereafter the UI stopped responding. The game continued, but I couldn't get to any menus or make the game respond.

This only happened once and only after playing for hours. Its possible we have multiple errors here, but my error seems to be a leak as PA is using more and more memory the longer you play.

It has to be a memory problem as I have one of the biggest gaming rigs that's possible to build:

32 GB RAM (PA used 31 GB RAM when it crashed) - I havn't enabled swap file as 32 GB RAM should be enough for any game.

GTX 980 with v355.60 driver (newest)
    1 terrabyte samsung 840 evo ssd
    I7-4790K cpu

So it can't be because my hardware is not good enough.
    Works fine for any other game and worked fine in normal PA (at least a few weeks ago, when I last tested it)

/Jesper
    nicolais likes this.
  16. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

This isn't a windows10 or even a windows issues. It appears PA/PA:Titans is a memory hog... (Is it a leak... Probably not because it settles out)

I use Linux (Gentoo and I use openbox as my desktop, nice and light) and with 8gig of RAM I would go from 200meg used to >7gig with just starting an AI game.

A 4planet 2ai match would cause my entire computer to grind to a halt. I had to SSH in and kill PA...

U wasn't running with a swap partiting but creating a 4gig swapfile allows PA l/PA:Titan to run smoothly - PA is dropping about 2gig into swap... When there is actually still RAM... Is it explicitly requesting swapping?
  17. Teth

Teth New Member

Interestingly PCGamer has an artical today about Excessive memory use problems in win 10 with SLI setups which nvidia has released a hotfix driver for. I'm going to give it a try tonight after dinner if I get time.

I can't put links in posts :( Google for "PCgamer SLI hotfix driver 35580" should get you the artical and link.
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

PA uses lots of memory due to how it deals with planets. It stores them as basic templates, then creates them in memory on the fly when you load a game.

You need 8gb to play it really.

There is a separate issue of a memory leak with some win 10 builds that will eat all memory until it crashes. Devs have confirmed they know about it and are working on a fix. It only effects some users.
  19. hurricnzj

hurricnzj New Member

The ui crashes and game crashes i fixed with --software-ui in startup commands on steam
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

At least I remember that there is a rare general "memory allocation in an endless loop" issue that is not windows 10 specific. That does cause the game to crash with an out of memory error pretty quickly.
    cdrkf likes this.