PA Alpha impressions and notes

Discussion in 'Support!' started by nemesis158, June 9, 2013.

1. nemesis158

nemesis158 New Member

As a PA Backer, it has been my pleasure to be a part of this great TA-style Revival game.
    I figured i would go ahead an put down my thoughts on what we have so far.

Impressions: So far you guys have done great with the game mechanics and the engine, although they are far from complete. Unit balance seems to be good, though there are definitely improvements which can be made. the game seems to run somewhat smoothly and I have yet to experience a client crash so far.

As far as notes go, i have a few suggestions about balance and would like to note a few bugs i have experienced:
    As far as balance goes, it seems that aircraft are very weak against other aircraft and AA towers. A wave of advanced planes that would have wiped out half a base in TA gets destroyed in a matter of seconds by just a few other planes/AA turrets. Commander armor could also be more resilient to aircraft bombings. I have also noticed that it seems to require much more energy to build things than it does metal, and i think the amount of metal and energy objects require to build need to be adjusted to a lower level (i don't recall needing 10,000-20,000+ energy production 10 minutes into a game of TA, but then it may just need to be different, i dont know.)

A few of the bugs i have discovered:
    When selecting units on the far side of a planet, if they are on the exact opposite of your base, you select all the units in your base as well. sometimes this causes offensive units not to be able to attack, as your attack icon is replaced with an assist icon due to having construction units selected.

the last thing i have noticed is that i do not think most clients stay connected and/or the game client itself stops receiving info about other armies. I have noticed that the game uses quite a bit more bandwidth than i have experienced with other online games. I live in an area where the best internet is a 1.3Mbps DSL line (despite the fact that there is a fiber optic line 200 feet in front of our house :evil: ), and i have found that when i get into late game with alot of units, it uses all of my available bandwidth and starts lagging heavily if i engage in combat. I believe this excessive bandwidth is causing my client to stop recieving updates on the other armies in the world because they seem to become passive after about 10-20 minutes and never attack or continue to build anything. :?
    I realize Netcode and server code optimization will occur as the game comes closer to release, and should solve these issues.

I hope this helps you guys, i am looking forward to what this game can become :D

P.S., i thought you guys might like to see where i installed my game:
    [​IMG]
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Glad I'm not the only one who had a TA directory like that!