PA Alpha Build: 50742

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, July 16, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Current Build: 50742
    Date: July 15th, 2013
    Windows Versions: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 (64 & 32 bit)

Mac OX/S: 10.7 & 10.8

Linux: Ubuntu 12.04 & 13.04 (And derivatives); See here for other distro's that are working (Need alpha forum access)

If you are playing on Linux or Mac at this early stage, please join us on the forums for discussion and ongoing bug fixes. These builds are still very early. If you don't wish to play through steam for them, you can download directly from http://uberent.com/launcher/padownloads - Mac and Linux only, these are full builds until we get our stand alone launcher working.

Build 50742:
    * Planet Editor! (WIP) The first pass of the planet editor, which will in turn enable us to build out the system editor. Currently all available biomes are shown, including ones that are still in early development (such as metal and Lava). You cannot save/load planets yet. That's coming soon.
    * AI! (WIP) This is a rudimentary pass at AI. Most of the work done here is not visible in client yet. However, a basic AI has been enabled that builds a combination of fights and bombers and will sending out bombing runs randomly. This initial pass will allow for more iterative improvements to the AI moving forward. We recommend not playing with more than one or two AIs in a game for now, as more can result in significant server slowdown. It is a known area of optimization we're working on.
    * Enemy AIs now use the new Alpha commander. First new commander to be added to the game since the start of alpha testing. Appropriate one to add, we thought.
    * Large amount of plumbing done on the back end to support multiple planets. There is additional support needed before this can be exposed, but it is there. This, plus planet editor, are the big pieces that will start to allow multi-planet battles!
    * Wider range of planet size on new game now.
    * Audio Work: support for reverb, large number of tweaks to sound banks
    * Missile ships should work quite a bit better now
    * Scrubbing now works in the Chronocam
    * Ongoing pathing improvements, fixes, etc. Naval and water in general should behave much more as expected again
    * Anti-Air and Catapults both choose targets more carefully
    * New art for a number of units (nuke launcher, energy plant, a number of others)
    * Balance: Radar health reduction, adv bot factory no longer has a build speed advantage over veh factory, storage buffed up quite a bit, T1 energy brought down a bit, laser defense (reg and adv) now have guard radiuses, commander will attempt to fire (low priority) at air units now
  2. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

YEEEEEEEAhhhhh !!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

And here I was planning to go sleep right now...
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

**** YEAH
  5. cola_colin

Creating a radius 100 planet with 100 height range and 100 biome scale is using 6, no 7 no 7,5 7,8 8,4 8,5 GB of RAM PA doesnt respond, rising to 9GB ... PA shows a half finished planet! ... and crashed. xD Lets try this again...
  6. mylon13

mylon13 New Member

Awesome, looking very good! Going to play now ;P
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

There's a lot of changes, this will take a while...

Size of update: 16.46 MB

Other Changes
    Some of these are mentioned in Uber's notes, but are expanded on here.

• WAR SETUP renamed FORMAT, New Game UI Updated
      [​IMG]
    • New message when clicking ready in the Lobby
      [​IMG]
    • New strategic icons for Metal Extractor, Adv. Metal Extractor, Energy Plant, Adv. Energy Plant, Metal Storage, Adv. Metal Storage.
      [​IMG]
    • New build icons for Tactical Missile Launcher, Nuclear Sub, Nuke Launcher, Energy Plant, Frigate
      [​IMG]
    • Papatran.exe and Papadump.exe updated (change unknown)
    • Defeated users now show up as ANNIHILATED in-game
    • New projectile models for Nuclear Missile, Tactical Missile, AA Missiles, Artillery Shells
    • New Energy Plant Model
      [​IMG]
    • New Tactical Missile Launcher Model
    • New Nuclear Launcher Model
    • Land units no longer go underwater, and land structures can no longer be build on the ocean floor

Balance Changes
    Adv. Sonar
    Health: 5000 => 1500

Sonar
    Health: 2000 => 500

Adv. Radar
    Health: 5000 => 1500

Radar
    Health: 2000 => 500

Metal Storage
    Storage: 500 => 1500

Energy Storage
    Storage: 15000 => 100000

Energy Plant
    Production: 700 => 600

Adv. Bot Factory
    Metal Cost: 2200 => 2750

Modders
    See PA Modding Changes for a list of changes that affect mods.

Bug Fixes
    • FS#12 - Land structure built on water
    • FS#117 - Catapult shooting rockets
    • FS#196 - can't slide the bar
    • FS#237 - Info Box health bars not visible
    • FS#287 - Unit details popup covers build menu
    • FS#545 - Land units can move, shoot and navigate underwater
    • FS#643 - AI Units doing nothing
    • FS#1026 - Stingray doesn't shoot

<To Do>
  8. cola_colin

Now I got a planet of size 100 with 4,4GB used.

... wow that's big.

EDIT:
    45.7 M Tris. And I though 15M of the tree worlds was big... waaaait lets make this a tropical planet of that size.
  9. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

LAVA is very cool. Can't wait!
  10. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

I managed to do this. I do have 16gb of ram though.
  11. cola_colin

I have 16GB, too. As I wrote: my 2nd try got through with 4.4. Maybe it was some random crash.

The tropical planet just finished. It has 120M Tris.
  12. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

Cue me spending the next half an hour tweaking a few sliders, clicking the build button and then going "coooooool"
  13. zorknemesis

zorknemesis Active Member

No comments on the AI? Took about five or six minutes before the AI player was swarming me with tier-one bombers every 30 seconds. Seems to be all they do though, but it made setting up rather annoying. Also the AI's spawn has been updated: 12 AA towers, 6 metal/power plants, and 6 aircraft factories. Probably a bigger army too, the scout planes I sent looking for it got vaporized in short order.
  14. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

Looks like I am going to need more RAM. I only have 4gbs in my system atm. I just don't want to get more RAM right before I am about to get a new mobo.
  15. sil3ntspy

sil3ntspy New Member

only weird thing i noticed so far is the sudden performance drops here and there and http://puu.sh/3DQ5X.png (goes away after a few seconds when generating planet), other then that, awesome update!
    Last edited: July 16, 2013
  16. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Some of this is bugs in the planet generation that cause runaway memory conditions.
  17. cola_colin

yeah I kind of figured that it probably is a memory leak. 9GB Ram is kinda unreal compared to what it uses on the other planets.
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Damn timezones. Your builds always come out while I'm either just starting work or still asleep :p
  19. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Biome: Moon
    That's just the dark-side see? :lol:
  20. spacesalmon

spacesalmon New Member

Looks sick!! Tried my hand at building a half size metal planet had minimal problems. Can't wait to play them! Love the games guys keep it up but don't stress working too hard the game is already so much fun in its current state! :D