Own Launcher / Verify Files

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by fellowplanet, June 16, 2013.

1. fellowplanet

fellowplanet New Member

Is Uber against own launchers?

How could we verify / reset the PA files?
    I think a command line features of the current PA launcher for "only verify & reset files" would be great.
  2. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

What would be the purpose? This is already what our own launcher does. Are you asking to not update the game to the latest version? That will make more sense (and be an option) when we're out of alpha and allow for offline play. If you're wanting it so it doesn't overwrite files you're modifying for the purposes of modding, the current method of directly replacing existing files won't be to "correct" way to do that in future updates.
  3. fellowplanet

fellowplanet New Member

I think a feature to create own launchers (for example for a clan) would be great.
    I am referring to update / reset the game in your own launchers or other application. For this feature we need a way to do this.

What about a command line parameter like "/update" or "/reset" (without open the GUI afterwards) in the default PA launcher to update/reset the game files?

I know that the way to update / reset PA files may be changed in the future, so this command line parameter will not publish the way how you update/reset the game exactly and errors by own solutions are avoided.
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I still don't see why anyone would want to do this, except for applying poorly-coded mods (example: half of all Minecraft mods).

Why does a clan need a launcher?
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

It seems like you want this for something like resetting to default profiles or undo changes someone otherwise made to the game?

Certainly we could add an option to the launcher to force verify files on start. Profiles should be as easy as having a .bat file delete a settings file someplace that also starts the launcher. We may do something like store player information "in the cloud" as well so getting your keyboard shortcuts / control preferences would be as easy as logging in to ubernet. I'm also fairly sure we could have multiple local profiles.

You may also be able to make your own front end UI mod that resets the profile and sets some defaults as well.

However as BulletMagnet mentioned, and as I was trying to say, there should be no reason for people to be modifying the game files directly to enable mods, that's just how it works right now since we haven't actually implemented a real mod system. Enabling / disabling mods might be as easy as saving that information in the profile so switch your local profile and automatically enables the preferred client side mods.

This is all speculation on my part at the moment as we haven't actually implemented any of it yet.