[ot] someone playing Banished too ?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by xnavigator, February 19, 2014.

1. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

Other than loving Planetary annihilation <3, is there someone playing Banished too here ? :D

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

Sorry for the OT, but I think Banished deserves a small mention (especially because it's developed by a single-man-company and is much better than SimCity)
  2. b4njo

b4njo New Member

I bought PA some days ago and love it (with my SupCom buddy), soo much potential! Some SupCom features are missing but the last two patches where great.

And then i bought banished, very nice game. First heard about the game in january, marked it and bought it on release from the developer site (steam was unlocked some hours later hehe).
    Really nice for a one men team. In my first town everybody dies because of starvation :p
    Last edited: February 21, 2014
  3. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

It's a bit light on content but still a decent game
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Yup, too light for USD20 imo. Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and found its own niche between games like Dwarf Fortress, Anno, Settlers and Sim City. (The old Sim Cities of course.) I think Banished lacks long-term goals though. Once you got everybody fed, clothed and warm there is little left to do. You can increase food variety and grow your settlement. How much replayability does Banished have? Not enough for 20 bucks imo.

Banished is a great concept and good starting point for a larger game. It stays a foundation with a couple of walls and without a roof though. The developer said he is most likely not going to expand the game. Modding support was announced but has not been worked on so far. That's bad news imo. Modding support that is tugged onto the game after release is always lacking. Nobody can really predict what tools and hooks you need before the modders get a go at the game for a while.

I find it dishonest to promise modding support and to suggest that the modders will add more content and fill the content gaps if you don't have a flourishing modding community already. Modders can provide incredible content, just look at games like TA, FA, Dwarf Fortress, WC3, Half-Life, ARMA II... However, you can't sit back and just assume you will get an awesome modding community. It might happen or not. I don't think you should rely on it as developer. You can't return the game if it doesn't happen, can you?
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Banished is on my list, but holding off til I have a little more time. Love a great city sim game, and it looks very well done.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's brutal until you learn to how to properly manage your people and the resources.

My first game everyone froze to death, next to games people died from starvation, and a lack of tools to work with (Turns out a lack of tools doesn't slow people from working, but it outright stops them form being able to do anything at all, very bad but fun).

I am really waiting for more content, as I would love to have more trading, and possibly build up a motte and bailey castle with a royal family to show my prestige.
  7. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I've put 40+ hours in to it, while it needs some polish (the idiosyncratic and at times suicidal villager AI for starters), it's been a great game to play in-between looking after my 5 week old son.

Some vanity structures that serve no other purpose than be something to shoot for "end-game" would be nice.
    But for the moment I'm just chasing the existing (albeit modest) achievements.
    Last edited: February 25, 2014
  8. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Congrats! So you are playing an advanced RL version at the same time? :)
    It would probably be easy to add structures like a healer and hospital, a cathedral, lighthouse, post/coach service, horse breeder... for certain numbers of citizens. Lots of stuff can be done depending on how well modding is implemented.