Orchestral Music

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stormingkiwi, February 22, 2014.

?

Did the Live Orchestral Music ever make it into the current build?

1. No, never made it into the current build

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Yes, you are an orchestral neanderthal.

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. I don't know sorry.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Did that ever make it into the current build?

Or am I just a orchestral neanderthal?
  2. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Can't find the thread, but I believe they said that the live score is being worked on diligently, and will be integrated... wait for it... when it's ready! Which is too damn long, if you ask me!

So no, your ears don't deceive; the new music isn't in yet. That doesn't mean you're not an orchestral neanderthal, however. :p
  3. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Strange thing to have a poll about. It's pretty obvious that this isn't live. I can't remember the name of the composer but what ever sound library he's using it's certainly nothing like Jeremy Soule's excellent and realistic library.

My poor ears.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It hasn't been added.

When they add the music... we'll know.

There will be a real big post about it.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Well. . It's been so long since they were 'almost done' that I got confused. I thought I'd missed the grand opening.
    Last edited: February 22, 2014
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Last I recall they said in at release.
  7. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Well I think Uber have bigger fish to fry :) They need 100% focus on new features and performance.
  8. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

I would imagine they are holding back quite a lot of stuff for "final" release, just to make it more of an event.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  9. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

Pretty sure that 'excellent and realistic library' is known as an actual orchestra. Certainly on the Total Annihilation soundtrack anyway.
    allister likes this.
  10. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Yeah TA is live. I don't know of any other soule score which is, sadly. Good lord the money I'd throw at a proper recording of supcom.... sigh.
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

There's nothing wrong with this:

Or this:
  12. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I don't know what I should tell someone if they think that's as good as an orchestra. Especially the first one is horrifying. Soule's strings are better, but still lack the kind of expression and depth you'd get from even mediocre players.
  13. Geers

Whoa whoa WHOA! Slow down Mr. Straw Man! I never said it was as good as an orchestra. I'm just saying it's fine and doesn't need to be high on the priority list.
  14. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Well it is for me. I don't use the words "horrifying" and "my poor ears" lightly here. Frankly I don't know how much a recording is going to help this stuff. Trying fruitlessly not to offend; I think the material is weak.

There's some good ideas, or rather a good idea in there somewhere but it needs to be dug out.
    keterei likes this.
  15. Geers

I see, your one of those people. It might seem simple, minor, even unnoticeable to most people, but to you it's an inescapable, infuriating and glaring problem that can never be ignored.

Don't worry, I'm one of those people too. Except it's not music that bothers me, it's science. For example, I can't enjoy Gravity. A good movie it may be, the HST and ISS are on two significantly different orbits and there's no way you can just off-handedly decide to travel between them without the proper calculations and a giant tank of fuel. Things like that bother me. A lot.
    cptconundrum and stormingkiwi like this.
  16. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

It shows...

I think if you have actually listened to orchestral music in any capacity and enjoyed it, it is trivial to tell the real thing from synth, no matter how good that synth is. Most people I suspect have not done that.
  17. Geers

I went to the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra's Video Games Unplugged, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, I can tell the difference, but it doesn't bother me, I enjoy listening to both.
  18. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

It lacks tonality and expression, it's not like it doesn't affect how the music is perceived. It certainly should bother you if you are trying to enjoy it.
  19. Geers

I respectfully disagree.
  20. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

With which point? You can't just say "I disagree" and have it mean something. What do you disagree with and why?