Orbital Space Factory

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by arbitraryranger, February 20, 2014.

1. arbitraryranger

arbitraryranger Member

Maybe I'm dense, or lazy for not searching super hardcore for this solution on this forum already but please hear me out: I like the direction orbital is going but just one thing is kind of getting under my skin - orbital fabricators constructing individual units in orbit. I kind of imagined that the orbital fabricator would be launched and then construct an orbital factory/space port similar to the naval factory and from here all other "advanced" orbital units could be produced. I guess I imagined orbital to take on a hybrid mixture of air/naval. I apologize if this has already been discussed or brought up in regards to it actually being confirmed or denied.
  2. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

You're not the first to feel that way.

The latest build swapped avengers and anchors, so the fabber doesn't build as many "units", but I agree that I would like to see it fab larger structures while the launcher and a T2 orbital factory built the units. The chief most reason I want this change is I want my orbital units mass produced with rally points and area patrol orders.
    arbitraryranger likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i dont like the idea of spacebases ... avengers anchors and sats should be as far as it goes ... ... people already argued
    that orbital shouldnt had fighters or defenses at all but just focus on satalites ...
    though i woundt mind a t2 grounbased orbitalport for bigger transports ...
    but my general point stands .. surface should be were the maincombat is happening and in my opinion all structures should be on surface aswell ...
  4. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I'd like to see an orbital factory for advanced units. But if we categorize satellites as "structures" then there aren't currently any advanced units for such a factory to build.

It also means the launcher shouldn't build radar satellites.
  5. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Some people have argued for a space elevator style factory, that would be vulnerable from the ground (the anchor point) as well as in space. That could make a pretty cool advanced orbital factory, IMO.
  6. arbitraryranger

arbitraryranger Member

space elevators seem... boring and civilian IMHO. My argument that you can't attack orbital from ground forces is that you can't attack naval with ground forces either, at least if they're out at sea far enough; plus you can always build umbrellas to attack from the ground as well as orbital launchers are able to be built fairly soon to counter. Having a space port in orbit seems to bring orbital in line with the other three tiers of movement - at least that is my OCD request.
    iron420 likes this.
  7. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Well you can use umbrellas and artillery to attack both of those things from the ground, but no mobile units.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I say yes to this idea.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's been suggested a few times, but I don't like it.

With this, to build things in space you have to build something (Orbital Factory), to build something (Orbital Fabber), to build something (Space Station), to finally build what you want (Adv Radar Sat).

It's an extra step and extra complexity that is not needed.
    corteks likes this.
  10. arbitraryranger

arbitraryranger Member

how is that different than any of the other advanced units? If I want a leveler I need to build something (vehicle factory) that builds something (vehicle fabber) to build something (adv vehicle factory) to finally build what I want (Leveler).

I'm saying that if you had an orbital factory that would be the "advanced" version of the orbital launcher, which then could build your better versions of the radar, avenger, defender, gas giant stuff, etc.

Just a thought that would bring some harmony to that tier of units like all of the other unit production methods.
    vrishnak92 likes this.
  11. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

As far as I see it, orbital has probably reached its limit to what they will add... If only they could make a super star base which would have its own orbit around the sun which built carriers, destroyers, and planet crackers. If anyone is interested in what I mean by that, just ask
  12. suspision

suspision Member

New factory's for orbital really should be added. Adding a surface and/or orbital factory's wil really help orbital, surface and other gamplay mechanics.

- Lines orbital up with surface factory's using proper tech 1 and tech 2 stages.
    - No more fabbers building units on its own.
    - Makes room for new units.
    - With these new units you add a 3rd option for invading other planets. (unit cannon and teleporter being the other 2)
    - Also acts as a factory or staging area for gas planets.
    - Better options for invading water planet.