On which servers should we play ?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by doud, June 6, 2013.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I'm located in France and today i connected to a game hosted by scathis.
    In many situations i had lag and strange behaviours (but i figure out this was not my PC - ivy quad core, 32gigs of ram gtx 660ti).

So the questions are basic :

From a bug reporting perspective,

Can i experiment unexpected behaviours if i'm playing on a server which is far away from my geographical location ?
    If Yes should i continue to work on this server, or should i switch to a local region server (europe).

I just want to ensure that when i submit a bug , it's not related to latency that could possibly occure.

can experienced lag be related to server being hosted far away from my regional location or do i have to attribute this unoptimized client code and should i report it ?

Thanks

to be more specific about lag :

When being close to heavy combat place : no lag at all
    When being close to my own base, units being built used to spend a lot of time before leaving the factory. That's what i call latency/lag
    And this happened only after 40 minutes of game.
  2. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

There are issues that may be related to server performance rather than connection latency specifically. It might also be a different bug completely unrelated to network traffic. If you're seeing something that seems wrong to you and does not appear to already be reported, please report it with as much detail as possible.

The servers are not hosted by players' clients like many console games are today, but are dedicated servers that we currently host. The name that shows is just those players who are connected to it.

When a unit is finished being built by a factory it has to finish animating before the unit is allowed to drive (or fly / float) off. Is there a delay before the unit starts moving long after the factory stops animating, or do they start to move then stop partly on the ramp?

Note some factories the units will begin to move as soon as it's finished, or wait too long, but do so consistently. This is a bug with the data driving those behaviors for those specific factories.

Can you tell us which factories you're seeing this on? Can you check to see if the factories are animating while the unit is stopped? Perhaps post a video of it happening if it occurs again?
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

It was with the advanced vehicule factory.
    The factory animation had completed as far as i remember. But i have to confirm.
    So yes i will retry (I have planned to play by each evening).
    And yes i will use Fraps in order to provide videos.

Now i'm at the office, but as soon as i go back home, i will be bug tracking :)
  4. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Could not reproduce in a game where i spawned massive amount of units.
    Will update if it occures again.