[ON HOLD] Live Game Stats

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by oxide246, July 19, 2013.

1. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

There was a misunderstanding with this mod where I had thought the JavaScript networking had been taking out of the game. Turns out it was an error being caused just before my "network" call code, but I didn't have the appropriate debugging tools at the time and I overlooked this.

Cola_Colin has since started a PA_Stats of his own and I've moved my attention onto a Tournaments Mod. So it is unlikely that I'll pick this one back up. But may do in the future.

-----------------

G'day Everyone,

The last couple of days I've been testing out an idea I've had to record live game statistics and post them to a website. It's coming along quite nicely and seems to be functioning *quite* well.

To see some data I've already recorded have a look here:

http://thewebexpat.com/pa/pa-gamestats/

The way this works is as you're playing the game, my mod will post eco statistics every 5 seconds to my website. This will only upload your statistics and not everyone's in the game. However if someone else in the game has the mod it *should* also record their data and the infomation *should* display side by side in the same game graph.

I have tested it in a 1 player game, but not with multiple players using the mod at once, which is why I'm now releasing it here in the hope that some of you guys might be able to give me a hand testing this thing.

The way the graph filters work is if you select a person's name you can select more than one eco statistic. If you don't have a name selected, you can only see one eco statistic but for all players. The filters toggle on and off by clicking the player name/eco title. This is currently a bit buggy. The graph dissapears sometimes depending on what combination of items are selected.

The mod works with jacoby6000 Mod Manager found here http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=49518. Or can be unzipped to your /pa/media/ folder

Some things to note are.

1. Any of the data you upload will be deleted, don't expect to keep game data. If you want a record of your data take a screenshot. Eventually I plan on clearing month old data automatically.

2. You will not be able to remove stats yourself. Once they're posted, they're available for all to see.. until I nuke it.

So that said, if any of you would like to help me out by recording some data that'd be awesome.

Cheers guys!

Version 1.03
    ------------
    - More bug fixing, there shouldn't be so many duplicate game problems now!

Version 1.02
    ------------
    - minor bug fixes, updated in-game ui

Version 1.01
    ------------
    - Changed how players are grouped in games to attempt to fix a bug where players weren't appearing in the same graph
    - Changed the code to trigger the stats panel to show when dead
    - Stats panel can open at any time with the " / " key (this will be removed later)

*Know issues*
    - Flakey GameID generation causes duplicated games if..
    1. You are the only person with the mod in a game, you leave for longer than 5 minutes and come back again.
    2. After the game you go into Review Mode and one of the players has mysteriously had their name changed to AI

Version 1
    ---------
    - Fixed stats bug where if you selected a certain combination of stats to show, the graph would break
    - Added in-game stats which show when you die (haven't had the chance to test properly, so I'm not sure if it works) At least one of the other players must have this mod installed for it to work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 25, 2013
  2. vipez

vipez Member

Re: [WIP] Live Game Stats

And the game is still ALPHA!! Unbelievable!

Awesome job! :eek:
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Sounds great, I'll try and get some people to test it with.
  4. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Does everyone own their own domain around here? >.>

But seriously now, this is pretty kickass. Just as informative as SupCom's game summary and much more user friendly.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

:shock: This is crazy amounts of cool.
  6. vipez

vipez Member

Sorry to say it again but:

SO MUCH AWESOMENESS IN ALPHA..ALPHAAAA!!!

Also: I tried your mod, works great. No problems ;)
  7. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Re: [REL] Live Game Stats

Thanks for the support guys, appreciate it :)

I've just updated this, it now included in game stats when you die, and the bug where the graph would break if a certain combination of stats was selected is fixed.

I haven't had a chance to test the trigger which shows the stats panel when you die yet. But it *should* work. So if any of you get a chance to test this and feed back it'd be much appreciated. I'll be trying to test it again later tonight or tomorrow.
  8. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

You might want to make some sort of loose authentication system to prevent people in the same game as another person from looking at their stats. As it is right now, having this mod is a disadvantage because opponents can go and just check how your economic is doing. I'm not sure how you'd do it while there's no Modding api though. Unless you can get the other players' IP addresses and then block players from accessing each other's stats based on IP. But then people could just use proxies. Meh.
  9. zaphodx

I think the sort of people using this mod aren't the sort to cheat. You could just put an ingame toggle for send / dont send stats.

Gonna work on testing multiple people today oxide.
  10. zaphodx

Okay played a 3p game with flupp and ickli. Me and flupp were on same graph but ickli was separate.

Quit and started another game and ickli's graph reset to the new game rather than starting a brand new graph:
    http://thewebexpat.com/pa/pa-gamestats/ ... 846&live=1

Tried a 4 player game and me and flupp were on the same graph but ghostflux and ickli were in separate graphs.

I died in both games and no gui popup for the stats. Let me know when you get a new version!

Edit: In review game mode I got the gui and saw mine and flupp's stats. Though skipping around with chronocam made the eco values in the gui seem to freeze.
  11. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Thank you so much for your help Zaphod, flupp ghostflux and ickli it was very helpful.

It seems an assumption I made where I thought the LobbyID would be consistent between players was wrong. I am now attempting to create my own "GameID" which is generated by inspecting all players in the game. This is a bit "flakey" but it's the best thing I could think of without having the real GameID.

Trying a new method to trigger this. However you can now press the " / " key at any time to pull this up. I will remove this feature once I'm sure the death trigger works.

This won't work for the time being, but I could potentially implement something where the stats in the in game UI would match the current ChronoCam Time.

Thanks again Zaphodx
  12. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Maybe something a bit like Zaphodx said, I could put in an option which still posts the stats but doesn't make them available for viewing until after the game has finished. This would prevent casters from getting the live information (and any potential cheaters), but it would be good for players who just want post game statistics.
  13. Nordbjerg

Nordbjerg New Member

This is pretty cool, actually. :D But I would like to have multiple sets of data on the same graph. For instance watching both energy and mass income in the same graph, instead of switching between them.

Of course, this is also only for aesthetics.

By the way, have you looked at GGtracker.com for StarCraft 2? Very similar concept.

Example for a GGTracker match: http://ggtracker.com/matches/3291272
  14. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

You can get multiple sets of data on the graph by clicking on the username, that put's it into "user data mode" The default mode is to compare one stat between all users. It's not that obvious at the moment because I'm the only one on the graph! I could probably still make this a bit more obvious somehow or provide a short instructional paragraph.

I hadn't seen GGTracker.com before, that' pretty cool. Maybe I could replicate a few features on that website when I can get my hands on some replay data :)
  15. Nordbjerg

Nordbjerg New Member

Yeah, that would be really cool ;) Maybe, if we are lucky, we can get some data from the chrono cam as well.

And it would be a good idea to make it more obvious, but I take it was just a quick mock up =)
  16. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Just uploaded a bug fix updated.. I was chasing my tail a bit trying to fix a bug where duplicate games were being created. It seems a lot more solid now and the UI panel seems to be working as should.
  17. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

This mod is now defunct, the latest patch broke this mod. The technique I used to achieve what it did could have actually been used to do malicous things! *naughty modder* slaps own wrist.. or maybe *good modder* pats own back for exposing security risks :p

Raevn, if you see this could you please remove this mod from the release list? Cheers.
  18. zaphodx

Awww pity. Was going to try and give this another testing run.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I did one step better. I figured modders who spend time this early, knowing their work may be broken at any build, should get recognition.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

How is gathering game stats and sending them somewhere a security risk?