OMG Uber Cannon is so OP. Fix now!

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by scathis, February 19, 2014.

1. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

or...
    "How I learned to love change."

The main thrust of this post is: when you find yourself thinking something is overpowered -
    Check Your Premises.
    Chances are you aren't thinking about counter strategies and have already written them off based on your own bias or the balance prior to these changes.

What does all this change mean?
    Well, I'm glad you asked. It's almost like I read your mind.

It means that the game is not balanced. Not by a long shot. However, this build is specifically focuses on getting the 'big rocks' in place.

What are the big rocks?
    • Game pace is in the ballpark. It means that most games tech increases at a good pace. End-game scenarios come on line at the proper time. The time cost of playing out strategies is approximately what we're shooting for. Game pace has a lot to do with build times, economy balance, and movement speeds. It is not final.
    • Unit balance is in the ballpark. This means that the unit roster is fairly close to what I'd call 'foundational'. Not every unit we're ever going to build is in the game. However, I believe that the units that are in in the game feature a broad swath of available strategies. Those units' numbers are balanced in such a way that they fit the roles needed to execute those strategies. Unit balance has mostly to do with unit health, firepower, and special abilities. It is not final.
    What can we expect?
    • The commander is powerful. No seriously. He's your commander and he's powerful. The Uber Cannon is very powerful and intentionally so. It's made for stopping early game rushes, but also at a cost and to not be too powerful late game.
      • "But Scathis, you just made commander rushing OP." - Again, lots have changed. There are some strong downsides to commander rushing you may have to consider. You may find it powerful at first, then find counters you haven't considered. Check your premises.
    • Orbital, Air, Naval, Land layers all have strengths, weaknesses, and are an integral part of the entire gameplay experience to Planetary Annihilation.
      • "But Scathis, Naval and Orbital sucks." - Again, lots have changed. Nothing is final. If you are playing solely a ground game and can't manage to counter a strategy, look to these terrain layers. Also - Check your premises.
    • Things will continue to change. This is only the first swipe at getting the balance 'in the ballpark'. I feel like we've got the game to a point where I have a foundation to build from. What we had before was not a balance that could be built upon. If you find yourself thinking the balance is wrong and it will never change, Check your premises.
      • "But Scathis, you only put out an update every couple of weeks, what if there's a balance emergency." - If there is a true balance emergency, we can do hot fixes. Those do happen from time to time. However, if you think there is a balance emergency and something is crazy over powered and we haven't addressed it quickly, maybe you should... Check your premises.

That is all. It's an exciting time and I'm looking forward to see how everyone uses, and probably breaks, the new gameplay and balance. It's best to get these big changes out of the way first, as anyone who's been through Super MNC's beta/balancing process can attest.

If you have additional or more in-depth feedback, please see our balance discussions.
    https://forums.uberent.com/forums/balance-discussions.84/
    corteks, godde, Bastilean and 23 others like this.
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

On first pass,game looks well and plays better. :D
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Certainly is quite the big patch.

Gonna be really interesting to see how everyone's playstyles change because of this.

Not gonna lie. I am concerned about the Commander changes, but I'm excited about them too. Just gotta play it a bunch and see how it all goes.

*cracks knuckles*

Time to get cracking I suppose.
    drz1 likes this.
  4. scathis

I am too. But I can either continue to guess how thousands of players are going to use it and counter it or I can release it and see how those thousands of players actually use it, then make changes from there.
  5. brianpurkiss

That's what we get for being apart of the iterative process, right?

You break things to fix them.

Now we gotta see if this is when you break it to fix it, or if this is the fix to what was broken.
  6. scathis

Sometimes what players think is broken is their perspective of the game. The stats sometimes say otherwise.
    godde, Bastilean, keterei and 3 others like this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

You are just my favourite guy right now.
  8. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

i have nothing to add yet, it must not be at steam yet :(
  9. Clopse

So I'm back, gunships are pretty cheap. :D. The commanders weapon seems fine. Countering a commander in TA could work because when he rushed your base it was easy enough to kill his energy. High hp of the powerplants makes this a hard exchange considering a com walk into your energy field has potential for game over time.
  10. stuartelliott

stuartelliott New Member

Scathis.. for President of the Earth .. 2016

well at least until someone puts rockets on the moon and ruins it for all of us..
  11. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'm gonna' love linking people to this when they post new "x is OP" threads.
    keterei, emraldis and cwarner7264 like this.
  12. Clopse

Quitch, shootall and Antiglow like this.
  13. BulletMagnet

What in the way of stats and numbers can you publish about how units are used?
  14. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Thank You, Scathis
    Indeed
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

It's all in the build.
  16. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

dude take out a players power first then he cant use it at all
  17. Clopse

18. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

And the trouble with fighting it is that I can't see an easy way to scout it quickly enough to be able to properly respond.

Personally it looks like it's only feasible due to how much health the commander has. While less health makes it harder to defend with the commander, it makes it a lot easier to push it away before it manages to force the final engagement.

I'll go run a few games this way and see what comes of it.
  19. BulletMagnet

Sorry, I didn't understand that at all.
  20. brianpurkiss