ok so i am here to say what i think Uber Entertainment should have done with Titans

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sirjames101, August 22, 2015.

1. sirjames101

sirjames101 New Member

So lets start off with a quick question i have about titans do i keep my commanders i bought in the regular PA. now on to the real stuff first PA was meant to have this in the first place also it felt not finished when i bought it and one thing Uber Entertainment could have done is first just made it a DLC that would have been a big help also i bought the original when it was in EA and i don't have a discount at all. also i have no money and I'm not gonna pay another 40$ for a game i already own i have already spent some where in the range of 50$ on PA with the Deluxe edition and my 30$ of titans i have then spent already spent 110$ which i under stand that i was the one to buy all of this but for me to not even get a sale is retarded. so you agree with me i have a link to petition but since im not allowed to put links i cant but there is some steam threads and some threads on here with the link. singed Titan_Angel that is my steam name btw.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes you keep the commanders.

About the rest, all I'm gonna say is that they obviously needed money to pay for continued development. If they had gotten $1 million more on the Kickstarter they would have never made this expansion paid. I hope... :)
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You should have a -66% discount if you already own the game. You can contact Ubers support and demand that fixed, it may take a few days (their support center is overrun atm I think) and then you'll have your reduced price copy of Titans.
    Quitch likes this.
  4. sirjames101

sirjames101 New Member

ok thx for the information though i though they had went past there 1 million kickstarter request
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

They did, they went past $2 million. I said 1$ million MORE :)
  6. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

They did go past 1 million, actually being funded with 2.23 million$. Problem is their initial 900,000 goal was for a very different game than the game with all the stretch goals. Galactic war, Naval units, water, Gas giants, Orbital units, metal and lava planets as well as an orchestral score (and notionally a documentary about the whole process, though not sure on that status of that) takes more time and money. Game got bigger, some things were harder to do than anticipated, things take longer and coders and artists still need to eat. Once enough stuff and new added things get made with all the work associated it makes perfect sense to be a paid (and optional) add-on. Its not like RTS's pull the consistent sales numbers that some larger titles in more generally popular genres have to keep up consistent long-term support.
    MrTBSC, Remy561, cdrkf and 3 others like this.
  7. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I'm gonna stop you right there. No, it wasn't. You may be of the opinion that the base game would have been better with these units, but that was never part of the deal. The kickstarter pitch and all subsequent developer updates explicitly ruled out there ever being experimental units in the base game. I will grant you that at release, PA was not feature complete and in a poor state. That was one year ago. Since then the base game has recieved one major content patch per month. As of last month PA vanilla contains all promised and planned features, and a bit extra. And it's a pretty good game in my opinion.

Titans is 14$ on sale, if you own PA you get the sale. The 21 new units, 150 new terrain features, new game mode, and 10 new maps significantly change the feeling and style of play. PA vanilla was never supposed to have these features. That is why it's an expansion, and I do hope more will follow.
    Last edited: August 22, 2015
    MrTBSC, jeffwadsworth, Bsport and 7 others like this.
  8. kosmosprime

kosmosprime Member

I'm gonna stop you right there. Yes, it was. I think they actually wanted to continue PA but didn't have the money (or didn't want to spend it) in order to do so for free.
    Mostly because my game (PA classic) does not differ from PA Titans. The extension was installed for me as well, and if my wireshark works correctly (it does) then things are meant to be that way. The reason why I don't have Titans is because the game doesn't run it. While that's only about 160 MB (as far as I know at least) and I understand how it makes updates to PA and Titans easier, I don't like being teased. It's like saying "Hey, do you want that cool expansion to that game you paid 60$ for and is now 40$ for free? That will be 14$ please!".

Don't read this if you are not a dev:
    You can alter the settings on your file system and play offline WITH titans content.

I did this because I got bored while trying to find the right words (Don't read it if you like TITANS):
    The age of frauds has long passed. Scattered across the globe, agents of gamers lay dormant for millenia. Until the awakening...
    Sentient war computers, relics of an internet in turmoil forged by their creators to complete one mission: hack everything. The endless conflict continues to mudge into the wast bytes of the internet
    Battles rage across the hot wires, devastating servers, programs and threads. Technological obliteration for a purpose never forgotten.
    Programs have been captured, assimilated, refined and transformed, into brutally efficient, self replicating viruses of war.
    Last edited: August 22, 2015
  9. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

So wait, your problem is that you can't run Titans... because you didn't pay for it?
  10. kosmosprime

kosmosprime Member

Read it again, I didn't say that. The problem is that I have it on my system for no reason.
    Because, in fact, I can run it without paying for it.
  11. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Did you kickstart the game? If so then thats why you are able to run it without paying. If not, I have no idea whats going on then.
  12. Elate

Elate Active Member

He's talking about the fact that for some unknown reason the update that was pushed to PA owners included the entire 'expansion', and is exceedingly simple to play without paying for.
  13. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Nope, not getting this; why is this a problem for you?
  14. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

I assume it is a similar issue to checking on commander ownership. I.e. offline mode isn't particularly great at discerning what you do/don't have.
  15. Elate

Elate Active Member

It's not. I do find it amusing that it was pushed to PA owners, it (not so shockingly) makes it seem like it was intended to be released for that rather than a standalone in the first place.

Though I was just stating what he was talking about.
    davostheblack likes this.
  16. cola_colin

The reason for that most likely is that it makes it easier for Uber to bring patches to base PA players.
    It's yet another example of Uber doing something that is meant to be nice to players and some players take it the exact opposite way.
  17. Elate

Elate Active Member

Because making people download 1gb of stuff then telling them they have to pay for it is kind of a gut punch. Gets people all excited "Aw yeah, big update" then slaps them with a price tag. Just another blunder I suppose.
  18. cola_colin

So you say they rather should go AAA-publisher like: "Yeah we won't patch that base game anymore"?
    That's the alternative. Not to mention that patch you mention did bring fixes and new stuff for the base game as well.
  19. Elate

Elate Active Member

Yeah but they didn't need to make people download all of the unit models, textures and what not, and that's what makes up the bulk of the size. That's what people are annoyed about.
  20. cola_colin

the PA expansion pack folder is 170mb. Now don't ask me about the exact size split of the patch, but fact is we both know that this whole drama isn't about one gigabyte of data and if a person is unhappy with having to download 1gb of data then I recommend to stay far away from using steam anyway ;)
    jeffwadsworth, ArchieBuld and Geers like this.