oh Single Laser Turret, why are you here?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by thetdawg3191, October 19, 2013.

?

What do YOU think it is?

1. A Turret model redesign. Nothing more.

11.1%
  2. Potential new thing! But I don't know what!

12.1%
  3. Point Defense Laser! Finally!

14.1%
  4. an Economy Turret! Preserve the Mass!

33.3%
  5. A Kill Everything Turret!

4.0%
  6. Something the OP didn't think of putting here!

5.1%
  7. Uber is trolling us. Bastards.

20.2%
  1. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

in case you have no idea what i'm talking about, here's some photos that i used in a previous post:

[​IMG]

as noted in the next pic, he clearly has inferior range. he may/may not have a different firing rate/damage, but i didn't get that far in my digging.

[​IMG]

So Uber, what's the deal with this little piece? is he an experiment? a new design? is he going to eventually BE something? like a cheapo-turret? a crap-tacular "shoot everything" turret? a point defense laser that shoots down missiles? WHAT?

sorry....that was completely unneccecary. Still. what's the scoop on this thing? I am genuinely curious.
  2. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I have an ides that they put some stuff in this patch that they didn't want to out (an error in release or something). The unannounced spider commander and single turret for example.
  3. thetdawg3191

i could potentially understand this as an error. but if they put in enough code and work to make it at all, what is (or was) the meaning of its creation? also, from what i've heard the new commander was snuck in on purpouse. or maybe they just rolled with it on that one. i would still love to hear from an employee as to why they conceived this little number.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well now is the time for new ideas and unit tests.

Personally I like it.
    archcommander and brianpurkiss like this.
  5. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I think it went something like this:

They made the model for the single laser turret, but then decided that the double laser turret should be taking it's place instead. So the single laser turret model became redundant. At some point they implemented the deep space radar, but they made a mistake and let T1 fabs be able to build it, while it was ment to only be constructed by T2 fabs. So they corrected that mistake and used the single laser turret as a placeholder for what once was the deep space radar in the T1 fab building menu.

So basically, it's still redundant.

Greetings
  6. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

I guess the single laser turret will be a cheaper version of the normal laser turret just with a lower firerate. So you can plop down an AA turret and a laser turret next to every MEX without having to spend that much metal.
    archcommander likes this.
  7. igncom1

Yeah, more like a half version of the double laser tower.
  8. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

I was under the impression it was a poor man's anti-Bot-rush defense, better than AA turrets inefficiently popping shots off at land units. But something like an anti-missile Point Defense gun seems like a T2 thing.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  9. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

actually AA turrets are really ******* good against bots. Im just waiting on the defence tower nerf
    lauri0 likes this.
  10. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

It costs the same as a 'normal' laser turret. It looks better than the dual turret, that's for sure.
  11. thetdawg3191

they may be good....but not as good as i'd like them to be. especially when you have about, oh TEN THOUSAND OF THEM BEARING DOWN UPON YOU LIKE A TIDE OF ANGRY BEES AND YOUR LASER TURRETS CAN BARELY HIT THEM CUZ THEY'RE SO DAMN SMALL!!!!

oh lord that was unnececary. i apologize.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  12. igncom1

Id really like them to cost energy to fire, as to have your defences dependant on your economy for the power of their weapons.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I think the single laser tower exists between TA had the LLT, and the current laser tower is the PA equivalent of the HLT. This game is Total Annihilation with space wars and spherical maps. Which is awesome.
  14. AyanZo

AyanZo Active Member

The commander needs his single laser tower back i'd wager. In TA the commander had this option, I'm not sure if PA will keep aa on the build menu, I'd rather have it be the single laser tower.
    archcommander likes this.
  15. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I like this idea. And then make missile defense towers only anti-air, not both.
  16. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Well if the single laser tower became buildable by the commander and Fabs and it cost and efficiency be put with that of a rocket tower, while rocket tower becomes a dedicated AA tower, I guess that would make sense.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  17. gunshin

unless the energy cost is increased insanely (like 2 power plants per turret at least), they need a nerf. a whole battalion of tanks cannot take down a laser turret currently, and levellers even have big problems against them.
  18. gunshin

If they are moving into your base with an army, you should be using your own army to defend it, not relying on defence towers.
  19. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

Use mobile artillery. It easily outranges them.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  20. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

The problem that you are dismissing is that a massive swam of Ants should be able to take down a single Laser tower. Yes you can go about it by abusing one of its weaknesses, but you should also be able to win when your massive army that cost over 10 times the metal of a single Laser tower.