Oh no, another Team Fortress 2 clone?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by wankey, July 12, 2009.

1. wankey

wankey New Member

I love the people here and the ingenuity contained in this company, but please don't tell me you guys are making another Team Fortress 2 clone? From the silhouettes I can already make out the Heavy, Sniper, Engineer, Spy... The chick looks like a female engineer to me.

Seriously guys? That's what you guys thought up after all these months of secrecy?

BattleField is already doing this. And so is a bunch of other games. I think every new team based FPS game is now using the Team Fortress model, and it isn't even original. They have the heavy, spy, medic etc classes. While they name them differently, it's literally the same.

I'm sure I must be sounding a very annoying and arrogant (who am I to tell you what to do), but while I love to see you guys succeed with a game, I just don't want to see UberEntertainment fall down as another cloning company (like GasPowered Games is now just making DOTA with less heroes)

The mainpage artwork to me just looks like another TF2 clone. I am be completely wrong, or going bonkers, but here are my two cents, don't ban me :D
  2. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Completely understand based on what we've shown so far which is not much at all. The classes make sense for the type of game that we're making and for the type of gameplay. If you want to write it off just based on what we've shown so far, go right ahead but I would wait until we show off the gameplay and the world more in detail before making a final judgment. At that point if you think it still is not for you, that's ok. :D It's a good thing there are plenty of games out there to pick from especially with digital distribution channels like XBLA, PSN, and Steam.
  3. wankey

wankey New Member

Thank you for your great reply. I will definitely still keep my mind open and try your game out when it's released. I may have been a little too premature in concluding that it is a TF2 clone solely based on the character directions (although I do think you guys can think of a better heavy class than a big bloke with a mini-gun)
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I noticed the similarities in style compared to TF2 too. If that is the chosen art style ingame, I like it. This style has a bunch of advantages over the 'realistic' style:
    - you can implement unusual game mechanics (crazy weapons, effects and skills)
    - you can add more content without killing your budget
    - updates, additional content, expansions can be produced faster and for less money
    - design changes are easier
    - preview versions for publisher/media can be produced without interrupting the development too much

I think the comic art style works well, especially for small developer teams when they have to keep an eye on the budget. And what would you prefer? A multiplayer FPS with a lot of content, DLC, addons, expansions that works on your laptop in comic style (TF2 like) or a huge resource hog with extremely realistic environment and characters which ends abruptly because they didn't have enough time/money to finish it properly (Crysis).

For some time developers of FPS tried to outdo their competition with new grafic technologies and realism to a point where everything looked grey/brownish. Often they completely forgot to implement the most important thing: fun and a good story.
    I've seen so many FPS created in the same brown art style on space stations, Mexico, Middle Earth, it really hardly matters if they mess up the controls and you don't wnat to play the game more than once or even finish it.

Or maybe it's just a ruse to mislead us. I think a good name for the game would be Sub Rosa, Enigma or Silentium... :D
  5. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

I can assure you guys that we are not just doing a 'TF2 Clone'. :)

Wankey, I can also assure you that we're not just settling on our laurels and doing a
    . I think that once we announce what we're doing and show off details you'll be very happy with our choices.

And if you not happy, then I know you hate me and I'll have to curl up in the corner and cry. ;)
  6. TheBigOne

TheBigOne New Member

After looking at his feet, I doubt its a bloke ;)
  7. scathis

Just out of curiosity... What other TF2 clones are there?
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Battlefield Heroes, to an extent. IMO, it's more "kiddy" than TF2's tongue-in-cheek style.
  9. scathis

I wouldn't consider BF:H a clone of TF2. The only way those two games are similar is that they have a cartoony art style.

Oh and TF2 is fun... :p
  10. eetmorsqrls

eetmorsqrls New Member

TF2 is fun? since when?
  11. gnats3

gnats3 Member

Since always.
  12. Scared

Scared New Member

Pretty much this.
  13. scathis

It's almost 2 years old and I still play it on a regular basis.

I wouldn't do it if I didn't consider it fun.

Besides... why you stirrin' trouble eets? I know you love it too. I've stabbed you a few times if I recall correctly.
  14. eetmorsqrls

eetmorsqrls New Member

well the forums seem pretty slow, best way to stir em up is with trouble :D

and i don't know about you stabbing me... afaik it's always been me killing YOU...
  15. Cheapy

Cheapy New Member

The only "TF2 clone" I can think of is a game from Korea which I unfortunately can't remember the name of. I'd agree with Scathis in that BF: Heroes isn't a clone. It has a cartoony style, sure and it'd be fair safe to say that TF2 had something to do with that, but the similarities end there :)

Classed based shooters are generally fun though, so I'm looking forward to learn more about this!
  16. scathis

So this goes back to my original question... What other TF2 clones are there?
  17. gnats3

gnats3 Member

Slightly off-topic: I finally got TF2 last week :D ...two years after my mom first told me that I couldn't buy it :|
  18. scathis

I <3 TF2. "Studio Rumble" servers during lunch. 12 noon PT. I'll be there!
  19. XShadowStormX

XShadowStormX New Member

...or Scathis should be back to it once he gets bored with LFD2...to think I can work with a man that would get bored with killing zombies...bah!
  20. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

What is it with you US boys and zombies? I totally can't understand the fascination those rotting corpses have on you guys.