1. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

I was under the impression that the always online requirement would be removed once the game would go golden, but so far the are no way of playing it without an internet connection, and I wonder was I wrong, or is it comming? and in that case, when?
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

3. doridian

doridian New Member

Just tried a local LAN game with my friend, looks like it still tries to run the games on their servers, as we have a flaky internet connection for a day or 2 the game is literally unplayable.
  4. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

All games are online only right now.

No LAN, offline, nor our own servers. We'll get those eventually.
  6. doridian

doridian New Member

This really should have been in the release version, really disappointed.
  7. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

I agree that it should have been, yes, but we will get it. Its just twice as much work to debug and build a gui for server software, and time got tight I guess.
  8. Aranfan

Aranfan New Member

It should not have been released without offline play.
    Twinstar, mjshorty, corruptai and 2 others like this.
  9. burlayz

burlayz Member

When are we going to get it though?
    I feel that we really need an official response on this issue.
    mjshorty, Methlodis and drz1 like this.
  10. killaconni

killaconni New Member

An official response would be appropriate, indeed.
    mjshorty, Methlodis, drz1 and 4 others like this.
  11. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

i hope offline, gets added in the next 2-3 day.

the quicker offline gets added, the better.
  12. jendrykgaming

jendrykgaming Member

The official response from the lead developer was "soon after launch." He declined to give a specific date or description of what "soon" meant, whether that be days, weeks, or months.

Given that it's been two years since Kickstarter, and offline/DRM free was promised in the kickstarter as well as the main PA site (which has now been edited out to include no mention of offline), but wasn't delivered by launch, I wouldn't hold out much hope for "soon" to mean any less than a period of weeks.

Either it was really low on the list of priorities or was too difficult for them to implement in time. They've been pretty quiet on the issue until pressed countless times (especially recently) by forum users, and even then wouldn't give real specifics, so there must be some problems. If they could find time to create Galactic War and other additions, but not one of the most demanded features of the game, I'd just assume it wasn't coming for months and then be pleasantly surprised when offline is implemented before then.

Also, expect the devs to lock this thread soon. They're pretty frustrated with having to respond vaguely to this question over and over again.
  13. gremjs03

gremjs03 New Member

Only reason I want it is to free up servers for people playing multiplayer. Because performance matters :)
  14. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

For me it's to save bandwidth, It's a long story, but I will be on what is pretty much a USB Modem a while, so I have limited amount of bandwidth each month.
    Last edited: September 5, 2014
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Same here, 10 gigs a month. Though I'm lucky enough to have unlimited at night- only problem is I'd rather not be restricted to night to play. ;)

Though I understand the difficulties of implementing/fixing up the servers and offline mode. Can't wait though :D
  16. moonwerewolf

moonwerewolf Member

I have 60 gig a month, but not unlimited nights. However I have keys to my job, so I could go there and use their computers and internet, sadly they aren't powerful enough to even run the game.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hopefully the server will be out within the next few weeks. Crossed fingers. :D
  18. tranilator

tranilator New Member

Offline mode and LAN support features have also been edited out of the PA steam page.

These promised features should have been included in the release build.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  19. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

my problem, is that the internet speed is not good enough, i only play sometimes.
    so i am waiting till this game, get offline mode, and i would be playing much more than i usualy play
    FSN1977, kjotak109 and igncom1 like this.
  20. lorddragonfang

lorddragonfang New Member

I understand that they needed to keep the pre-launch versions online for data gathering purposes, that made sense. It meant that I couldn't participate in the beta, but I was ok with that. I never went in intending to have access to anything other than the final product and was quite surprised when they threw open beta access to all Kickstarter backers. The Kickstarter page never mentioned requiring a persistent internet connection, and the game having been released while retaining that requirement is unacceptable to me. I don't have consistent internet access, certainly nothing I can play the game on. They've essentially given me a game I can't play. If I'd preordered, rather than backing it on Kickstarter, I'd be asking for my money back right about now. I admit I'm probably all bluster and no action, but it's frustrating to me.
    tohron likes this.