Offensive terms to describe hostility

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by yxalitis, November 13, 2012.

1. yxalitis

yxalitis New Member

OK, sorry, but one thing that really gets my goat about the gaming community is it use of terms like 'rape' and especially 'facerape' as descriptive terms for awesome and amazing combat prowess.
    As a father of two girls, and having known rape victims, I would ask that at least in this forum, we desist from using such offensive terminology to describe something overly powerful or successful.
    The english language is incredibly rich with adjectives, there is simply no need to blurt out the word "rape" when describing an overwhelming victory, if you stop and think about what you are saying, you will realise how horrid that is.

I do realise this is a useless post, but honestly, I had to get this out there, it's bugged me for years.
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Same words, different language.
  3. mrlukeduke

mrlukeduke Member

I agree, yxalitis -- and thanks for posting -- and also I'd like to add that I've posted a few threads with ideas I thought were new or at least interesting (even in a loose brainstorming kind of way) and had a couple of less than polite responses, or responses that are a bit discouraging and sarcastic rather than open and constructively critical.

Now I can handle internet words, even dish them out once in a while, and I'm all for freedom of expression without appropriate bounds, but I'd love to see this obviously super-intelligent and passionate forum community become more of a supportive, encouraging and polite place to explore ideas and whatnot. It's already super awesome and I love it here.

I personally prefer step-by-step logical explanations to back up any differences of opinion, and trying to explain a POV rather than twist arms or censor or put down other opinions.

Just my 2c. Generally you guys are all awesome.
  4. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I don't knew this is a probate word for that. :eek:
    I think AWESOME is much more AWESOME than... the other word.
  5. yxalitis

yxalitis New Member

Either post something worthwhile and intelligent, or don't bother.
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    +1
  7. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

It's hardly a tasteful word to use, but you have to agree that people don't mean what they say when they do say it. It's basically been adopted to have a different meaning.
  8. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

I know what you mean, OP. I've been trying to tell the community here that they should not reference killing in any of their planet names, user names and online banter; because life is precious and the termination of life should not be taken lightly; yet everyone chose to deride me.

As someone in a family of five, I dread to think of any of them getting killed.
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I think misogynistic and racism terms should be avoided in general.
  10. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

godde, your indifference to my concern unsettles me.

Are you a closet killer?
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Words change, society changes. Your extreme offense is a sign of getting old more than anything else.
  12. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Killing is what I do for pleasure... No wait...
    Slaying the enemy to win...
    Destroying the enemy.
    Putting the enemy to sleep with my bullets.
    Putting holes through flesh.
    Tearing through tissue with small pieces of lead.
    Eh...
    Assuring peace of mind through gas accelerated plumbumbic delivery devices.
    That's what I do.
  13. Consili

Consili Member

Ahhh....godde was agreeing with you ayceeem. Also accusing them of being a closet killer is straying into the very territory you were claiming to dislike. Why are you so jumping so quickly to label someone a killer when it is clear you are making little effort to understand their intention?

[edit] upon reflection? yep. I failed to recognise the troll. Go me.
    Last edited: November 15, 2012
  14. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

I demand for 'kill', 'killing', 'murder', 'gun', 'gta' to all be added to every chat filter. We must stop every internet user from saying kill as a sign of dominance.
  15. elexis

elexis Member

No-one can ever complain about the likes of zordon until the likes of you are gone.

On topic: This was brought up in an eve blog recently (well, this year), eve being notorious for questionable social behaviors. It makes for a good read.You can read it here.

fyi, the corp I was in at the time decided on "bubble-wrap" to describe the situation in that blogpost.
  16. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

I'm offended when others reference killing. Don't they know that when they do this they are in fact making killing acceptable and are affecting the millions of murder victims worldwide.

Killing is not funny. Don't joke about killing.
  17. yxalitis

yxalitis New Member

Your sarcastic and pointed retort demonstrates you totally fail to understand my point:
    In a video game I do "kill" your units. kill is a non-specific term, not only related to the death of a human being, I can "kill" a hung application in Windows, I can kill a mosquito, and no one would mind terribly much.

Rape only means an act of sexual violence.

Do you get it now?
    Last edited: November 14, 2012
  18. yxalitis

yxalitis New Member

As we speak, the word "rape" has only one definition, sexual violence.
    and "facerape" puh-lease!

As I said, we have many, many fantastic descriptive words in English, we don't need to take one word describing despicable human behaviour, and use it, when we have so many others.
  19. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

You are an awful, awful person for believing that killing such an innocent creature is okay, and I dread to think what terrible culture you live in doesn't mind that sort of behaviour. I know I wouldn't want to live in it.

Don't get into semantics on how kill is a non-specific term; you know very well I'm talking about the termination of other lives.

Go ahead and tell me the units you kill are just in a video game. You're just excusing lewd behaviour that doesn't belong anywhere, and ignoring the sentiment it brings, which is what really matters.

Why do you choose not to take the perfectly humanitarian cause I bring up seriously? I thought we both wanted the same thing.
  20. zachb

zachb Member

Maybe I am looking in the wrong threads, but I don't think I have ever read the word "Rape" being used, or it wasn't memorable enough to stick out.

Anyway it doesn't really matter what any of us think of when we hear "face rape" or "rape cage" or whatever.

It matters what the rest of the world thinks about the word rape when they see a youtube video of a PA tournament game or something and hear everyone screaming "RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE!" into voice chat.

Yeah yeah, gamer culture and all that. Not everyone is familiar with your strange rape shouting culture, so tone it down.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2011/02/08/ ... game-kids/
    Last edited: November 14, 2012