Nvidia GSYNC not working with PA

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ZakTheEvil, April 12, 2016.

1. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

"Not supported for this appication" in Nvidia control panel and the game jumps between 60Hz and 120Hz. Turning VSYNC off in Nvidia CP doesn't make a difference. I've never seen a game that doesn't work with GSYNC. Is this the game limitation or Nvidia driver issue? Thank you.

screenshot.1.jpg
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I've never heard of GSync, but two things come to mind. First there is PA.exe, which just selects between the 32 and 64-bit version, so it may work if you use bin_x64\PA.exe instead. And second, PA uses OpenGL while most games on Windows use DirectX, which may be a factor.
  3. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

GSYNC is Nvidia's adaptive refresh rate display technology.

Adaptive refresh rate display technology is the best thing that happened to gaming since the advent of 3D hardware acceleration. AMD uses Freesync, a similar tech.

It synchronizes the screen refresh rate with the video card frames. So the monitor doesn't run at fixed 60Hz but changes its refresh rate to match the game frame rate between 20Hz and 144Hz. This eliminates the need for VSYNC and completely gets rid of any screen tearing and stutter, and makes games run buttery smooth and often faster, as there is usually speed penalty associated with using VSYNC.

So yeah, 32bit versus 64bit has nothing to do with this. There are OpenGL games that work with GSYNC too. But yeah, I understand they wanted a cross platform game. Although this led to seriously shitty Mac OS version and issues on Windows. I wish this game was just DirectX.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that there are multiple PA.exe'es. There is the one in the install directory, but there are also two in the bin_x86 and bin_x64 subdirectories. I was suggesting you try it directly with the PA.exe in the bin_x64 subdirectory. I didn't mean to say that 32 or 64-bit mattered.

And I like my very-much-not-shitty Linux version, so I'm really glad they used OpenGL. :)
    n00n likes this.
  5. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

Sorry about that, yeah I misunderstood. I'm going to look at those different executables. I think the one that launches by default is the one in bin. This is not dealbreaker either, it's mostly fast paced shooters that benefit from GSYNC. I just set the display at 60Hz and the game runs fine. It's just bothers me slightly because GSYNC is supposed to work with all games.

I play the Mac version sometimes and it's really bad.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

It might be that PA runs borderless window rather than proper full screen? Either that or it could be the UI system (coherent, which is basically a Chromium based web browser baked into the game)...
  7. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

You can enable GSYNC for windowed mode and that didn't make any difference in my case.
  8. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

The pa.exe in the main directory is the launcher that launches the 64bit pa.exe in /bin. Running that exe in bin doesn't make a difference, except that it asks me to sign in. The launcher passes the credentials from Steam, it seems.

So anyway, no worries. The game runs and looks fine at 60Hz I was just really curious why GSYNC is disabled for this game. I guess I need to accept the explanation someone suggested on the Nvidia forums: the game had issues with variable sync causing stuttering and/or physics/AI bugs so either Uber disabled it in the game or asked Nvidia to disable it in the driver, rather than fixing it. This is somewhat disappointing though.

Thank you!