Nvidia 3D vision

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by godde, August 26, 2012.

?

Would you like to PA to have integrated 3D-options?

Poll closed September 15, 2012.
  1. Yes, Nvidia 3D vision in particular!

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Yes!

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. There is no need(because there are already solutions for most/any game to have 3D)

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. No.

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Will PA be compatible with Nvidia 3D vision?
    I think the ability to understand topography, ballistic trajectories, Line of Fire and Line of Sight is greatly helped by seeing it in 3D.
    Transparant overlays and transparant models can also be distinguished and understood much easier in 3D.

Are there any other implementations of 3D-technology that PA could incorporate?

Edit:Added poll question.
  2. sith1144

sith1144 New Member

most strategy games dont work that well with 3d IMO, because usually the cursor is in front of the world (or worlds in this case) making unit selection really annoying. if they fix it with a cursor thats rendered at the same depth as whatever is underneath it, this could be a really nice feature though!
  3. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Those who really want it will be able to force it via the control panel. I don't think that Uber should waste any time on this. This is coming from someone with a 3D monitor and a 3D vision kit.
  4. felipec

felipec Active Member

This
  5. tehen

tehen New Member

No, they won't. It is not that simple. Forcing stereo 3d does not mean getting something playable.
    Depth problems like what describes sith1144 can not be easily resolved if the game has not been designed to support stereo 3d.
    Otherwise, all games would be rated "3D vision ready" by Nvidia (or the equivalent for AMD, iz3d, tridef, ...)
    This is coming from someone with a 3D projector and a 3D vision kit ;) .
  6. elexis

elexis Member

Pointless necrobump
  7. tehen

tehen New Member

Why?
    The thread is not even 2 months old.
    The game may not be released before at least one year from now.
    There is still a lot of time to discuss about features we'd like to see in the game when it is released.
    The thread is called "Nvidia 3D vision" so I thought it was the best place to talk about that.
    If there is better thread to talk about stereo 3d support in Planetary Annihilation, feel free to send a link :) .
  8. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

ignore him.

he's being silly.
  9. paprototype

paprototype Member

waste of resources.
  10. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I think Knickles are refering to Elexis.

I've only played Battlefield 3 with my 3d nvidia vision kit but I didn't feel like it gave any benefits to the gameplay experience and it slowed down my framerate so I haven't really tried it in any other game.

I'd like to try a strategy game with alot of physics simulation in 3D but Spring doesn't support Nvidia 3d vision.
    I think it would improve the ability to make tactical decisions based on terrain, arcing projectiles and Line of Fire.
  11. tehen

tehen New Member

I have not tried them in 3D yet but Supreme Commander and Warhammer 40k:Dawn Of War II are rated Excellent in 3D Vision by Nvidia.
  12. godde

godde Well-Known Member

In Dawn of war
    bullets pass through the terrain so I don't think there will be much gameplay advantage from playing in 3D.

I guess it can be useful in SupCom when you are figthing in hilly terrain with laser units and try to prevent units from firing blindly into the ground but that is rare scenario.
    Is the terrain detection better in Forged Alliance Forever?
  13. tehen

tehen New Member

Thanks for the info.
    I can not tell for Forged Alliance, I do not have it.
  14. killerquake

killerquake New Member

I tried SupCom with anaglyph glasses in 3D and it was great... only the curser, range-rings and all "non-3D-things" were ugly (and the color ;))
    Zooming to the commander and the base and rotating around them was really nice ;)

If it is not that big time-eater, it would be great... some times in the future I will have an 3D-Monitor :) And I think the planets + moons will be nice in 3D :)
  15. elexis

elexis Member

Well nothing in the world of 3d has changed. 3d tech still sucks. Noone knows how to properly make use of 3d tech beyond the wow factor, no practical use at all. And in movies there is still only one non-animated movie in existence that has bothered to implement 3d properly.
  16. tehen

tehen New Member

Thanks for your feedback on SupCom in stereo 3d .

That is exactly what I have been thinking since I first saw video on the kickstarter page.
    Plus all the robots landings, asteroids crashing and other flying/firing things would look really nice in stereo 3D too.

On a more practical side, I think that in the middle of battles with lots of units shooting at each others with lots of lasers and other special effects, stereo 3d could help to discern your units on the battlefield.
  17. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I hate 3D in games because it´s not neccesary and most times its pretty bad implemented.
  18. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Er? Anyone still believing in this 3D-thing? Guys, don't want to disappoint you, but fashion for games with 3D had past long time ago. Now it's cool to talk about virtual-reality and some Occulus-Rift-alike things.

But anyway, 3d, VR, anything in RTS? You'd better focus on some tablet support - it would fit better than mouse/keyboard in some cases.
  19. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

That´s the point.
  20. tehen

tehen New Member

Wow! I do not know if your are trolling or not but who cares about fashion and what is cool to talk about :lol: ? And speaking about VR and Occulus Rift, well, they both use stereo 3d.
    Personally, I care about immersion when playing a game and for me stereo 3d has proven to be one of the things that help this immersion.
    It may not be the case for everybody. Others may want to focus on other parts of games. I do not blame them and I am not going to spit some hatred in forums because of their choices or tastes :) .

Concerning tablet support, it may have some use has a second screen for choosing actions or else. As a primary screen, it may be cool for "casual" gaming sessions, selecting/moving units with fingers, why not.
    But as soon has you'll get a lot more units in a much more competitive multiplayer context, touch interface will not be enough.
    I think that in its current state, touch interface can not replace Keyborad+mouse for competitive multiplayer RTS games. Keyboard+mouse are much more precise and faster than any touch interface I know and you do not hide units with your fingers when using them :) .
    In the end, I guess it depends a lot on which style of gaming you prefer: cool and relax or fast and competitive.