Number of Mass Points on a Planet

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by teleutias, August 8, 2013.

1. teleutias

teleutias New Member

So I have been watching livestreams of the game and one thing I have noticed is the large number of mass points. Is this a result of custom map creation or does the planet generator place this many mass points? I guess I expected mass points to be more scarce. For anyone in Alpha (that still reads this part of the forum) do you think the amount of mass points is appropriate?
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Most people think there's too many. Neutrino stated it was just a quick algorithm he whipped up.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah at the minute all maps seem to be set to 50. This figure must be affected by the landscape, as barren maps appear to have a lot more mass points than maps filled with trees.
  4. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

They're still working on those but its not game essential so its gonna be done when they feel like its time to get that done. For now getting orbital working is more important.

I don't necessarily think it should be a different amount, just different positioning.
  5. kingjohnvi

kingjohnvi Member

I would hope the number of mass points would be an option in the planet generator. The way to make truly interesting planets is to control the planets resources.
  6. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

It used to be an option in earlier planet editor builds, it isn't in right now though.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

It didn't do anything in the old planet generator. I'd take a guess that the current metal placement algorithm doesn't have any variables for frequency and nobody could be arsed to change it if it's going to be replaced anyways.
  8. teleutias

teleutias New Member

Wow, thanks for the responses! Zaphod and Petard I follow your YouTube channels thanks for all the entertainment!
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes I want a control for this in the planet editor. That way you can choose although I will try to make the default reasonable.

Do you guys really think there are too many right now for the default?
  10. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Wait what... Yes of course!?

There are way too many to the tune of often energy being the limiting factor instead of metal.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I feel like they are clustered too well.

But that could be a additional control for the metal spots as well right?
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

That's more of an argument for lowering how much they produce though. You do have to hold them after all.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Reducing the mex income and improving how they are spread over the planet is imho indeed the better solution.

Having many mex to fight over is good.
  14. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I actually quite like the number of metal points. Metal is a bit abundant at the moment, but i'd rather have lots of "poor" points rather than only a few "rich" points. It gives more reason to hold onto large amounts of contiguous terrain, rather than small, isolated heavily defended points.
  15. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I favor that as well, good point guys.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I also like the idea of more "poor" points as it can give a lot finer control over creating points of conflict via size and over-all area of a 'cluster'. This is a very user friendly method as it's clear and obvious that a cluster with 10 points is more valuable than a cluster with 5 for example.

Mike
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Lowering the income will drastically slow down the early game, as a mex has to pay itself off before contributing anything of note.

But if you just mean fewer points: that's probably a good idea. The clusters are pretty large.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So reduce the income per mex AND the cost per mex.
  19. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

It would make t2 mexes more used. I've never seen them really used except in long long games where everyone just turtled before mex points were never used
  20. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It's probably the best idea. However, the early game will be painfully slow without some kind of map wreckage to compensate. Slow income is great, but it takes a big initial investment to get things rolling!

Putting the metal directly on the Comm isn't that useful because Comm resources lends itself to rushing. Map wreckage requires a few units to roll out to get it, thus it demands at least some kind of base. It's basically the difference between minute zero and minute...3'ish.