Nukes are insta win!!!!!!>:/

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by dailymuppet, November 24, 2013.

1. dailymuppet

dailymuppet New Member

The nukes in the game are pretty much an insta win in the game. You those need allot of workers and then build a nuke and then you have won.

To fix this problem
    1. The nukes in the game you get rid off.
    2. you set a limit on how many nukes you can make.
    3. You can build the nuke very fast, but it would take a about 5:00 minutes or so until it can be lunched.
    If you have read all of this i those wont you to know that you have made a fantastic game, but please don't destroy the game by doing nukes very powerful I wish you good luck in the future, good bye.
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

A nuke is a big investment.

Counters:
    Scout.

Snipe the nuke.

Spread your base out and don't put all your power in one place.
  3. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

You can build anti-nukes.

The balance there is off at the moment (imo, they should be cheaper and cover larger area), but they work.
  4. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

Nukes arn`t insta win as it takes two to actually blow up a commander and if the game gets too late game then one nuke won`t make a difference if your opponent is constantly expanding(though that is a big "if")
  5. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

you are right about this one
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Nukes aren't insta win.

I've won games after getting nuked three or four times.

There are many different ways to deal with nukes.

Scouting your opponent and sniping the nuke is good. You should always scout anyways.

Also, spread out your base. If you build all of your energy in one spot, yeah, you'll lose if you get nuked. However, if you spread out your base so you don't lose all of it when you get nukes, then it isn't a big deal.
    pieman2906 and drz1 like this.
  7. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Agreed.

Take a bit of time to get used to the gameplay style, especially the very quick expansion which is key to success, and you will realise that nukes aren't as ridiculously over powered as you would think. But yeh, if you let the opponent sit there and build a nuke, without scouting or trying to counter it, then you are also not playing well enough yet :p
    stormingkiwi and brianpurkiss like this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Generally, there is a lot to playing a game against nukes anyway:

1) if you harass his metal spots early game, like the second you build first factory and army, then he will not get t2 before you, let alone nuke, if he can even survive before you get your nuke.
    2) if you keep digging into him, you will probably kill his nuke if he tries to build.
    3) orbital beats nuke. It is just as hard to counter orbital as it is nuke
    4) spread your stuff out. you should have tons of planets, and nothing except a few extractors or a factory to have nuked. If he nukes even a factory and mexes, or a factory and a significant other structure or units, then you didn't build out enough.
    5) if you are lucky and he is scrubby, you can build antinuke between the enemy and the most radar blips you give off, and it will takedown his nuke midair. His fail.
    6) currently, t2 bombers are just as broken, and faster to get to. Make 10 t2 bombers, a few scouts, send scouts into his base to scan for important targets/commander, and snipe it with the bombers. Almost nothing stops 10 t2 bombers.

Adding suggestions to balance nukes:
    1) 25% more range on anti-nuke
    2) 15% less cost to anti-nuke missile (structure stays the same)
    3) damage drop-off for nukes range (center does same damage, 25% away from nuke center it starts dropping in damage, at edge of nuke range, it does half damage.

Multi-nuke is a legit strategy. It really should never happen. I mean, if you have been on the same planet for up to an hour, and you haven't put up enough of a fight to have his t2 too shaky to build nuke, then he deserves nukes really. By time he nukes you should have nukes or army-waves. If you have army waves invading his base he must choose nuke you or your army. If he nukes you your army will kill his nuke and most his metal and you BOTH can start over basebuilding.
    Last edited: November 24, 2013
  9. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

I suck at building big armies. I just don't build factories aggressively enough.

If I am playing against somebody who Can't beat me despite that handycap, I will usually nuke them or t2 bomber snipe.
  10. dailymuppet

dailymuppet New Member

Dailymuppet: thank you for the tip. bye the way i have seen all of you're videos on YouTube dude.
  11. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Nukes are easy wins for people who are very good at aiming them (if there's not already a 3rd party mod for this, imagine there will be eventually). If you aim them EXACTLY right, you can destroy the anti-nuke even though it's loaded. I have seen this done. Once that starts up, there's no stopping the march of nukes.

And stopping a nuke snipe is the same as stopping a commander snipe. It can be done if you focus defense around it. A decent number of parked T2 fighters will prevent any bombings.

Right now the game is T2 fighters + T2 bombers + nukes. Hopefully the upcoming content patch will change that.
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Nukes aren't blatantly broken in PA, but they aren't exactly balanced either. Most "pro" games that I have observed, if they don't end with the initial scrambling for resources and the subsequent period of expansion, Ant attacks and Dox raids, they usually devolve into a cold war exemplified by "Who can get and aim the nukes first!" Everyone's armies and bases are so bloated that attacks are generally very expensive and hard-fought, and even then are usually cushioned by lolPelters, and the fact that bases are sprawling, gigantic, very healthy and pretty easy to defend.

So the obvious solution? Kill the power gens/Commander. What with? NUUUUKES!

Personally I preferred the game without nukes. They just add a lot of stress and anxiety to the game without really adding a whole lot of depth or interesting complexity.