Nuke/Anti-nuke cost

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mayhemster, August 5, 2014.

1. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

Any chance we could have the nuke missile cost reduced to something less than twelve times the cost of an anti-nuke missile?!

EDIT its nearly 13 times the cost per missile

Nuke missile cost 86400
    Anti-nuke missile cost 6720
    Last edited: August 5, 2014
    mot9001 likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

3. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

I have checked it out, mostly no good... This is a simple request to look at the cost of nuke/anti-nuke missiles - nothing more, nothing less!
  4. phlogistinator

phlogistinator Active Member

I have realised that with the 13:1 nuke:anti-nuke cost in place, there is seriously almost no incentive for me to build nukes at all.

Against most good players, chances are, they will be building anti-nukes anyway, so any attempt to build nukes will just basically drain my eco when the resources should otherwise have been used for something more productive.

The only good use of nukes right now is to clean up or to prevent expansion. If the enemy tries to build up a base somewhere before putting up anti-nukes, nuke it. Or if the enemy's anti-nukes were destroyed.

In fact, I only use nukes now if the resource modifier is very high.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Nukes are completely useless in the current builds. We adjusted the nuke balance in the Community Uberbalance so it was 40k/5k, and limited the number of ANukes you could build by upping the maintenance cost. Nukes are actually usable, but you have to know what you are doing with them.
  6. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I get the idea of why Nukes were made so expensive, the meta revolved around nuke spamming in an fairly unhealthy way previously, and currently nukes being completely interplanetary mean that a single nuke can strike anywhere in a system, wheras an anti-nuke can only protect whatever small corner of the system they're built in, so there are sensible reasons for the cost to be so high.

It'll probably be made cheaper once Uber start to figure out what the golden cost is to make them useful, without overly dominating the meta.
  7. Imsvale

Imsvale Active Member

I guess if you have a small/compact base, it's pretty harsh (easy counter with very few anti-nukes). But keep in mind, anti-nukes need to be placed all over for coverage, while a single nuke can hit anywhere. How many anti-nukes for good coverage of the important stuff in a typical base at that stage?

That said, 13x cost might still be a little on the heavy side.

I guess it's also an incentive to scout, and really make sure you're not launching at a protected area.
  8. thegreatcorrecter

thegreatcorrecter New Member

What are you talking about? Nukes are awesome. Then again that guy was AFK...